What just happened?

Freya0821

Reaction score
I am teaching myself ASL since the man I am seeing is deaf. I want to make sure we have great communication and can't imagine how exhausting it is to constantly have to lip read. I taught myself finger spelling and got in contact with a tutor so I can learn more. I've also got youtube videos saved and bought a book to learn from in the mean time. So here is what happened...

I met his friend this past week who is also deaf. I heard my guy tell him that I was learning ASL and that he's proud of me for it. Then the moment I started finger spelling a longer word, the friend mocked me. I flipped the friend off, but it's the first time I told my guy I would tell him something later. And I felt myself shut down for a few minutes because I was embarrassed. My guy had to tell him to be nice.

I thought he would be happy that I was learning for his friend. Instead I ended up feeling like an idiot for even trying... Any insight?

He mocked you for finger spelling a longer word? More to the story here....

The guy's a jerk, plain and simple. Either ignore it or joke back. Don't let the jerks of the world influence what you want to do. You don't need to please all his friends. If your guy puts the jerk in his place, then you're fine. If your guy does nothing then you might need to reevaluate your relationship.

Some people just don't have the patience for newbie signers. It may be how that person reacts to everyone. And...like Reba said...he could just be a jerk. It might be he has to tell this person to "be nice" a lot. Just ignore it. If your new beau is happy to be with you and happy you are learning then that is all that matters.

Back