What jobs can you do with hearing loss?

ArestaL

Reaction score
There are very few jobs that you cannot do just because of your hearing loss. But — given your hearing loss — there may be many jobs you think you can’t do.

deaf pilot, fireman, zoologist, interpreter, engineer, president, and billion more to list, you should have asked which jobs deaf cant have (really few) :lol:

There are very few jobs that you cannot do just because of your hearing loss. But — given your hearing loss — there may be many jobs you think you can’t do.

I can do anything, thank you for ask. Hearing people maybe don't like, don't mean can't

A very valid question. Ive been turned down for bartending,Wall Street Broker call center and fast food because of my hearing.

It's all pretty to say nothing should hold you back from your dreams. Now back to reality. I'm 53 and still trying.

Its really about who you know and if they are willing to give you a chance.

The good ol' days are gone....Used to be that Printing (Newspaper) and Print Shops were the "ideal" for deafies to work...Damn good $$ too...and all the overtime you wanted. 2 of my siblings worked in factories...Not for me....it's a dead-end, low paying position(s)....Also, Retail (WalMart, Target, etc.)....Seems now-a-days, Health Care and computer work is available...But since I'm retired (Newspaper Advertising), and not looking for a job with a good salary and benefits...I've not one iota where or what the good jobs really are.

A very valid question. Ive been turned down for bartending,Wall Street Broker call center and fast food because of my hearing.

It's all pretty to say nothing should hold you back from your dreams. Now back to reality. I'm 53 and still trying.

Its really about who you know and if they are willing to give you a chance.
I can see you being turned down for Bartendering...customers like to chat with them...and a Call Center? That's phone work...as for Fast Food...most anyone can make Burgers & Fries but not at the Register to take orders.

For those who rely more on written communication, there is proofreading. I volunteer at https://www.pgdp.net/c/ which does work for Project Gutenberg. Good place to gain experience and prove that you can do it.

I know 2 deaf musicians and a deaf sound producer. I don't think anything is off the table. (maybe some military)

All military and police. I've tried and my hearing has always been a factor...

Laura

I do have to say this: I was at a Starbucks about a year ago and went through the drive through. I was excited to see
that on the screen that you order was a live video of an ASL interpreter! It made my day. I could lip read her. (my sign is not great). But then a couple of months later they removed it. :( I'm not sure why. My point is - why wouldn't more business'
do something like this?

Great question! I have a simple answer, and it’s not a traditional office one...blog about what you like to do. Do you like football or games or food?, then why not blog about it and make some money out of it? If you are not familiar with how this works, there are some great tips here.

I’m a CPA (accountant), now a supervisor for our auditing dept. You can do what you set your heart to, just don’t give any mind to those who tell you otherwise.

That is so true... I wish it were not but many people are simply very biased against us. It is an ongoing battle and we can never prove such discrimination even though we know that was it! It isn't a matter of skills, it is a matter of personal biases by those responsible for hiring and firing. I have even lost 2 jobs because of such personal biases by a new supervisor or department head. (I have a BA degree and multiple talents... but oh facing those biases was not fun!)

Going through agencies does help to land a position, but again, keeping that position if it is a temp to perm depends on those responsible for hiring.

Back