what it like to be deaf

Many including myself are literal thinkers here. Most likely you will just be misunderstood

Oh, oh. I'm bound to be misunderstood a lot then.

I eschew the three "L's" -- Literal, logical, and low context, in preference for the poetic nuance, playful twist, and humorous hazelnut.

One "L" I do prefer is Linguistics over prescriptive grammar.

Maybe Jiro can referee unless he has already picked a side.

I am a huge fan of descriptive grammar as well. Although Linguistics will always tell you that sometimes the literal message isn't the most effective in a given situation with a given audience.

All you other ADers like Botts,Jillio,Hear Again,and others are all Off topic with the OP's post. She was talking about what she is saying on the first threads. You were still playing around with Botts, Jiro and Jillio plus others on the other thread. So you all need to focus on this first post of the OP. :nono:

Thread officially derailed. :eek:

Makes note to Alex: I think we need a trainwreck emoticon for derailed threads.....

hey guys what up how are yall doing well i took some of yalls advice and guss what my mom is going to a meeting to learn how to sign. it also a meeting on how to help your deaf child and how to accepted them. It all started when she met a deaf mom at work i guss i dont really know i just know she going to try to learn i am so happy maybe this will bring up closer and we can be friends again i cant wait i just wanted to tell yall and say thanks for the advice well got to go now later

my 7th grade english teacher prefers prescriptive grammar over descriptive grammar. i prefer both. i can't stand reading poetry or prose filled with all kinds of typographical errors. it's too distracting and takes away from the author's intended message.

back on topic...

Yeah, I don't cut people much slack sometimes. Slang infuriates me.

In my defense lots of deaf people are this way.

Matilda used to tell newcomers to spell and punctuate correctly and skip slang, but she is gone for now at least. She was much more tactful.

Whilst i agree in some respects Bottesini, there are others thing to be considered, the Deaf,deaf hoh are without a doubt starting to make good use of the english language, but it's a slow process, it won't happen overnight but we are getting there, i think you should perhaps be a bit more discreet with your opinions, I have no idea if this is emarrassing for deaf girl, but it certainly could be to others, so a bit of discretion is called for in times like these.
And where do you draw the line? I'm Scottish,and I talk in scots tongue(a recognised language) ye ken whit ah mean an awe that?

the American abuse of the English language is another good example... capitol? nope you will find it's capital.
who stole the U's from color, humor etc(colour,humour)

yes I know I'm teasing:lol:, but give them a break please, it's much better to nudge them in the right direction rather than humilitate them.

and it's not just used by the deaf, but god how emabrrassing is HO as slang, thank god this abuse hasn't swam the pond to date

Whilst i agree in some respects Bottesini, there are others thing to be considered, the Deaf,deaf hoh are without a doubt starting to make good use of the english language, but it's a slow process, it won't happen overnight but we are getting there, i think you should perhaps be a bit more discreet with your opinions, I have no idea if this is emarrassing for deaf girl, but it certainly could be to others, so a bit of discretion is called for in times like these.
And where do you draw the line? I'm Scottish, talk in socts tongue(a recognised language) ye ken whit ah mean an awe that?

the American abuse of the ENglish language is another good example... capitol? nope you will find it's capital.
who stole the U's from color, humor etc(colour,humour)

yes I know I'm teasing:lol:, but give them a break please, it's much better to nudge them in the right direction rather than humilitate them.

Frankly, I am deaf and I use no slang. I read all this girls posts and thought she was not deaf.

She made me mad.

Oh! thats strange, I thought you were already;) :lol:

I assume this is the English "mad" as in "barking mad?"

If so I imagine many would agree.

However, I meant the colloquial American for "angry."

I assume this is the English "mad" as in "barking mad?"

If so I imagine many would agree.

However, I meant the colloquial American for "angry."

no I meant the "scottish mad" but means the same as the english one :lol:

and for reference I knew what mad you meant:lol: irony and all that:roll:

anyway just teasing :D passes the time

Back