What is your profession?

Software Systems Developer

It's got to be tough being on the phone. Sorry to hear that you have to change your career. Good luck with engineering. :D

I am a Patient Care Tech, student, and house cleaner.

Patient Care Tech? Can you explain what its duties are please? It sounds like a nurse in some forms.

Patient Care Tech? Can you explain what its duties are please? It sounds like a nurse in some forms.

I am kind of like a nurse's assistant. I do vital signs, ekgs, collect labs, wash patients, change attends, fetch things for people, help transfer patients, feed patients and other things like that. I am in school for nursing at the moment. Started in a nursing home and now I work in a hospital.

right now, I'm doing a whole lot of NOTHING! (BORED!!!)

For a while I was a certified nutritionist while studying to become a naturopathic physician. However, since learning that my daughter is gradually becoming deaf, I have changed course. I would LIKE to be trained to be a 'terp (preferably medical.)

I also have a very high interest in artistic things. When I was younger (pre-marriage and children) I used to be a window decorator for Pier One imports. I would still enjoy being a visual merchandiser/mannequin-dresser/window decorator/etc. I love to arrange flowers, decorate my home, help people "style" their clothing, etc. I LOVE COLOR - I'm completely addicted to it! And I am a knitter. I never use a pattern, preferring to design the knitwear I make. I am also a gardener.

Someone, please HIGHER me for SOMETHING! Help me practice my ASL! (PLEASE!) :giggle:

right now, I'm doing a whole lot of NOTHING! (BORED!!!)

For a while I was a certified nutritionist while studying to become a naturopathic physician. However, since learning that my daughter is gradually becoming deaf, I have changed course. I would LIKE to be trained to be a 'terp (preferably medical.)

I also have a very high interest in artistic things. When I was younger (pre-marriage and children) I used to be a window decorator for Pier One imports. I would still enjoy being a visual merchandiser/mannequin-dresser/window decorator/etc. I love to arrange flowers, decorate my home, help people "style" their clothing, etc. I LOVE COLOR - I'm completely addicted to it! And I am a knitter. I never use a pattern, preferring to design the knitwear I make. I am also a gardener.

Someone, please HIGHER me for SOMETHING! Help me practice my ASL! (PLEASE!) :giggle:

How did you get a job doing that for Pier One Imports? Growing up, my dream job was to be an interior decorator and I would love to get a job as a window dresser. Maybe part time. Does one need qualifications for something like that?

How did you get a job doing that for Pier One Imports? Growing up, my dream job was to be an interior decorator and I would love to get a job as a window dresser. Maybe part time. Does one need qualifications for something like that?

I am fairly certain they do now! I know that courses are offered in visual merchandising in vocational/technical colleges now.

But this was 30 years ago, and I was hired as a store's assistant manager. The manager discovered that I had a talent for decorating and allowed me to do a lot of it. His superiors noticed how pretty his store was and our store was awarded for it. He then allowed me to start working on other stores in our region.

And then I got married and moved 1500 miles away, got pregnant, etc.

I'm in Grounds Maintenance, so loads ofnoisy hedge cutters, lawn mowers, chain saws etc etc going off around me all day. not exactly great for protecting what hearing I have left but its a job I'm good at and doesn't require me having to talk to customers or anything. all the way through school I never knew what I wanted to do as felt like my hearing situation limited my choices, its not like I could be in the army or a fireman or something else kids dream about being when they grow up. so I have tried loads of different crappy jobs and this one is the one I have enjoyed doing most, but like I said its not exactly ideal if I'm trying to preserve what hearing I have left.

Wirelessly posted

Freight mover, carpet/tile removing/installing.

Unofficial biologist, weight trainer.

Village Idiot (As Necessary! :dizzy: )

Last edited:
Well, I was glad that I possessed networking skills and know stuffs about routers, switches, etc how they work. I didn't have solid work experience back then but my knowledge was sufficient to get hired. After more than 3 years, I learn alot and found many tricks and work arounds with these Networking equipments. I do learn everyday. If you are interested in more information and know ASL can PM me for more information.

My work has three locations, and if your close to one of these three location then won't hurt to apply.

DHB

WOW, you did luck on that one. I work desktop support and it is not so deaf friendly. Mind you I just got the job and my hearing is still degrading at a rate I can still answer calls (with a few repeat requests).

As for what I do for a living, I work desktop support as I had just said. Where I work, I do not think it will last if my hearing gets worse. So, I have started going back to college to change to an engineer.

Been a student for nearly 7 years now- currently working for my Bachelors in Health Science Education w/ emphasis on Nutrition though. Should finish in 2 years. Expect to start doing intern/pre-health education type work in about a year.

Retired teacher Anchorage school dist. Retired 1987 Second retirement from own Fishing/sightseeing business 1992
Now enjoying active life in Arizona. Volunteer every morning at assisted living facility.

I work with all kind of IT technology for over 30 years. My current position is MIS (Management of Information Systems).

Back