What is your preference....relay or direct calls?

What is your preference, a direct call or a relay call with a third person on the line?

• Direct Call

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Relay Call

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gtanner

Reaction score
I am interested in your thoughts on using Relay Services such as TRS and VRS versus placing a direct call.

NexTalk is close to launching a new speech capturing tool that will be part of our ACCESS platform.

Receiving calls
ACCESS subscribers will be able to give family and friends a local number that they can use to call them, and it will convert their speech to text. You would then type back your responses, or, if you are an individual that has experienced hearing loss later in life and can speak, you can simple speak back to the caller. This speech capturing tool is giving us 90% reliability in our beta tests, as opposed to commercial voice engines that only give you 40% reliability.

Placing phone calls

Additionally, you can use it to make outgoing calls. You dial the person you want to speak with, and the ACCESS program, using this new speech capturing tool, allows you to read what the person is saying when they answer the phone. You would then type back your responses, or, if you are an individual that has experienced hearing loss later in life and can speak, you can simple speak back to the person. We even have the option to play a script at the beginning of the call so that the person you are calling knows that you are using a speech capturing program.

If this was available to you, which would you prefer, a direct call or a relay call with a third person on the line?

Does percentage of "reliability" refer to the percentage of "accuracy"?

Hmm interesting. I didn't pick because really I don't have a preference. I've used both methods in my life. Mostly direct calls until the last couple of years when I switched to VRS. I may have done some direct TTY calls and TTY relay in the past too but the relay ones were always a disaster for me.

I like the sound of what you describe above. My concern is if I call someone with a heavy accent (Be it American, Indian, Japanese)- the speech to text may not be as accurate as I'd like. In my job hunting this time around there are MANY more recruiters who are immigrants (or are in centers in another country? no idea)...and many have accents ranging from light to very thick. Truth be told I've also had problems with a true southern accent too. So...that's partly why I avoid so much and my job hunt has floundered this time around lol. I admit it.

Back