What is the average length of time to get used to cochlear implant?

KY Guy

Reaction score
I know everyone is different and every audi is different when it comes to how skilled they are at mapping. But what is the rough average of when CI users begin adjusting and enjoying their implant? I will admit I am only 1 month in, can hear what I am guessing is EVERYTHING but still can't filter out language so speech discrimination is virtually non-existent. Is time period 3 months? 6 months? A year? I am just looking for an accurate average as a pick me up bc I am getting discouraged already.Thanks for everyone's input!

I really don't think there is an answer, KY guy. It depends on a LOT - how long since you lost your hearing, your auditory memory, your brain, etc, etc.

I'll give you my example: my left ear (severe loss at 3 yo, hearing aid for 45 years before implant) - had a "aha" moment 2 days after activation, and enjoyed things since then. Still had great improvements with subsequent mappings, but things sounded more or less "normal" after those 2 days.

my right ear (profound loss at 3yo, unaided for 46 years) - here I am about 8 months post-activation and cannot process speech with that ear alone, but still making slow progress. That second CI does add major benefit to the whole experience, though, as I like to say, 1 + 1 is more than 2 when it comes to CI.

I know you're looking for a pick-me-up, but I can say that your experience 1 month in is not all that unusual. My experience of 2 days "aha" was exceptional, according to my audi/surgeon (who works at one of the largest implant centers in the USA). What I can say as encouragement is - keep at it :)

I almost had to stop reading at 2 days comment thinking something is wrong with me. That is amazing. In quiet environment I can hear language but understanding it doesn't happen yet.

There is no average. Everyone is different as some hear instantly (those who are late deafened like myself) I was hearing conversations before I left my activation although it did sound robotic and mickey mouse-ish for a few months. As the Mappings were done it got better and after 2 years its basically normal as far as hearing voices but music is still not 100% yet and may not never be.

Other CI receiptants take longer or never get the full effect of the CI's.... Some it never works. So there is only the Percentages it helps or dont.

Also....very important !!!!

I used the Audiologists at my surgeons office. The lady who activated me was awesome ( she is actually a whiz kid in this field) but after that day all my mappings were done by another audi and I hated her. I told her what was wrong or right, this or that and what I wanted... BUT she would just say (She) I will tweek this and that like this and that (completely ignoring me and what I said) leaving with even worst sounding mappings.

You can choose any audiologist you want, call your provider ( AB/Cochlear/Med-El) and get a reference for a good audi they work with and go.
I did and found out the audi who activated me had her own office so I went there, HOLY COW, when I left it was awesome !!!!

When I sat with her, she listened to what I was saying I had issues with, she took notes, figured some formulation and started tweeking the mapping on the computer then hooked me up and did her thing. She said some of my C's were too high ( Ceiling/cut-offs ) and the F's were too low (Floor/cut-offs) as they were outside the scope of my hearing range so there was no use having them that high or low which in turn conserved more battery power as well. I learned alot of these terms throuh audis and doctors on our Facebook sites and started using them talking to the audi as they undestand that better in a sense. Im due for a yearly mapping, so I may go soon first I need to make some notes of a few issues Im having like a cutting out in one of the processors when listening to music, it could be 1 of my Ceiling levels are too low and cuts off at that point when its actually not too loud to me.

In general, i love my CI's... I just hate being tied to batteries. ( relying on batteries ) lol

Very nice post! I have same issue as you when it comes to questioning my audi's skills at mapping. For activation, she said I just had to get used to it. That was a load of crap. First tune up I told her what was going on and helped it a bunch. I have a terrible feeling she wants to what she wants to do and not listen to me. Pretty unsure how to deal with that.

Very nice post! I have same issue as you when it comes to questioning my audi's skills at mapping. For activation, she said I just had to get used to it. That was a load of crap. First tune up I told her what was going on and helped it a bunch. I have a terrible feeling she wants to what she wants to do and not listen to me. Pretty unsure how to deal with that.
You do have to get used to it, But if they arent listening to you and mapping it to what they think is best and not what you asked and its worst and they keep doing it like the one I had, then its time to change Audis. You can call your brand and ask for locations they recommend, Also you can ask for a rep (representative) to be present and they will help with the mapping as they are trained in it to help troubleshoot any issues.
but yes, it takes time for the brain to rewire itself and depending on your brains capabilities to relearn ..not everyone is the same and CI's are not magic.

As an example, The old audi mapped it ( sounds different in office than in the real world ) I would call and go back in and say what was wrong. She would just say "oh you have to get used to it"...NO, it sounded better before. But it was like it was a bother to her and she would tap this or that and out the door. Really no interest in getting deep into the fix. So after the 4th time and it was worst that I started with I called Cochlear and asked for a location the recommended that was closer to me. So instead of driving an hour I now drive 15 minutes to an Audi I love.

It's an hour for me too. Don't think my small town has an audi who could tune CI but I will check

I really don't think there is an answer, KY guy. It depends on a LOT - how long since you lost your hearing, your auditory memory, your brain, etc, etc.

I'll give you my example: my left ear (severe loss at 3 yo, hearing aid for 45 years before implant) - had a "aha" moment 2 days after activation, and enjoyed things since then. Still had great improvements with subsequent mappings, but things sounded more or less "normal" after those 2 days.

my right ear (profound loss at 3yo, unaided for 46 years) - here I am about 8 months post-activation and cannot process speech with that ear alone, but still making slow progress. That second CI does add major benefit to the whole experience, though, as I like to say, 1 + 1 is more than 2 when it comes to CI.

I know you're looking for a pick-me-up, but I can say that your experience 1 month in is not all that unusual. My experience of 2 days "aha" was exceptional, according to my audi/surgeon (who works at one of the largest implant centers in the USA). What I can say as encouragement is - keep at it :)
I am not for sure but I think I had my "aha" moment today. I got a new map 4 days ago and wasn't really happy with it as I was driving home. The next 3 days seems like I was hearing more and more chirping. As soon as I put it on this morning I knew something was different. Everything was louder yet clearer. I have been watching TV the past couple.days and just really really concentrating on the captions and listening rather than watching the show. Chirps are still there but about 80% seems to have disappeared. Been a rather interesting day today. Actually looking forward to tomorrow

I am not for sure but I think I had my "aha" moment today. I got a new map 4 days ago and wasn't really happy with it as I was driving home. The next 3 days seems like I was hearing more and more chirping. As soon as I put it on this morning I knew something was different. Everything was louder yet clearer. I have been watching TV the past couple.days and just really really concentrating on the captions and listening rather than watching the show. Chirps are still there but about 80% seems to have disappeared. Been a rather interesting day today. Actually looking forward to tomorrow
I had an Aha moment the other night, I let the dogs out ( 1 male and 1 female ) I heard something and took me a minute to figure it out, it was late night and quiet out unlike during the day.... I could hear them both peeing...lol

I was listening to music heavily since getting my CIs over 2 years ago as therapy, but haven't listened to music the past month as Ive been busy. The other night I hooked up my mp3 player and it all sounded way off??? I'm due for my yearly mapping so I guess I need to make a call and get in, just odd that it changed as it was sounding really good before.

Back