What is it like to be DEAF? VLog

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
[yt]60lzVhXW_0U[/yt]

This is a very good, yet, an educational vlog. I assure you, it is worth watching. It's about 25 minutes long.

I can connect to this in many ways.

:ty: for posting this, Jolie, I was glad to watch it and think it's important for people to know-

Wow, i loved to read that basketball part and how it bought him into dorm and entire new Deaf World. It was soooo beautiful to watch!!

Whoa. This guy's patience is amazing. I'd have wanted to kill my family for that kind of disresepct. The part where they never told him that he got calls on the TTY? (Actually, that's not really related to deafness - anyone should be able to relate to that, Deaf or hearing. If you got calls (phone, VP, TTY, whatever) and your family was like, "oh, yeah, right. Some people did call you and we never told you..." OMG.) Anyway, his mom with no concern or even acknowledgement that he needed a TV with CC? Not being willing to do that simple switch? And their hands over their mouths???

The fact that he seems to be an emotionally healthy person (at least from how he carries himself as he tells the story) after all that, wow. That's like seeing someone reach the top of a mountain and then they say, yeah, right before I started climbing, my friends superglued my hands together, but you know, they didn't realize about mountain climbing...

wow wow wow.

First, awesome video.
Second, his family are assholes.
Third, jerks are jerks whether they're hearing or deaf.
I don't know why there's so much us/them/hearing/Deaf. For me it's simple; you're either decent or not. Most people are, and are willing to learn and be educated about the lives of others. Some people are hopeless and I can't be bothered with them. I try to make sure I don't mix up the two, the whole 'know your enemies' thing and all that :)

This is a really good VLOG. Part II is supposed to be out soon, right?

Yes, Part II is supposed to come out soon. I am really looking forward to see what will come up on Part II.

I came across this video on facebook and felt that it is suitable to share on this forum, given that there are many hearing members whom have any/some kind of association with a deaf being.

Even though I've grew up living in the dorm, the vlog has provoked my thoughts/memories of how it is like with my hearing family in some ways.

First, awesome video.
Second, his family are assholes.
Third, jerks are jerks whether they're hearing or deaf.
I don't know why there's so much us/them/hearing/Deaf. For me it's simple; you're either decent or not. Most people are, and are willing to learn and be educated about the lives of others. Some people are hopeless and I can't be bothered with them. I try to make sure I don't mix up the two, the whole 'know your enemies' thing and all that :)

I was so excited when telephones came out with volume control and I could finally hear people on the phone. I was having work done on my house in California and my mom asked me to put in a safety bar in my shower for her for when she visited. I told my mom OK and that she had to buy a telephone I could use when I visit her in Massachusetts. I kept my part of the deal and put in the safety bar for my mom and I when out to visit my mom went to make a phone call and asked where is the phone for me to use. My mother said she didn't get one! Man did that hurt.

Good information -- I made this sticky so hopefully this will help general public for this educational purposes.

Thanks Jolie!

I was so excited when telephones came out with volume control and I could finally hear people on the phone. I was having work done on my house in California and my mom asked me to put in a safety bar in my shower for her for when she visited. I told my mom OK and that she had to buy a telephone I could use when I visit her in Massachusetts. I kept my part of the deal and put in the safety bar for my mom and I when out to visit my mom went to make a phone call and asked where is the phone for me to use. My mother said she didn't get one! Man did that hurt.

My God! What is wrong with people? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Oh, he went to NJSD so I know how he feels about the school since I went there. Great school for the Deaf in NJ!

Excellent vlog, Def Familia!

I can relate to the TV part, although my family was never that rude. I can honestly say that they always tried to get me whatever made my life easier. When we learned about it, they'd try and get it for me. I never experienced what he did...thank God.

Laura

Wow...can't believe about the TV situation

Wow...can't believe about the TV situation

Me too. I remember before the days of CC, my sister and I would watch "Little House on the Prairie." Whenever I would ask her what was being said, she would just roll her eyes at me or not even answer me. Ehh..

Outstanding video. What a great spokesman for the deaf. I will be sharing this video often.

:thumb:

Ouch. That blows. :(

You know, If we all could continue to educate others to understand our deaf-like needs and sensitivity - this would be a better place. Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go. At least, this is a start.

I can relate to the TV part, although my family was never that rude. I can honestly say that they always tried to get me whatever made my life easier. When we learned about it, they'd try and get it for me. I never experienced what he did...thank God.

Laura

I could sure relate the family part , my mother hearing was so good she could hear our neighbors talking in their back yard when she was upstairs in her bedroom . Mom told our neighbors she could hear them taking and they did not believe her and started to repeat what she heard. My whole family had excellent hearing and they could be anywhere in the house and hear someone calling them , I could not and I got hit plenty of time by my dad for NOT coming when he called me. I also got left at home when my family went out to eat as they would call for me from downstairs instead of going upstairs to my bedroom to see if I wanted to eat out too. I never felt like I was apart of my family growing up.

Back