What do you think about this Deaf-friendly community Deafville idea?

• Great project idea

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Bad project idea

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I am not sure, sill undecided

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Bro. Pouliot

Reaction score
deafville-logo.jpg

Has anyone heard of Deafville project or the American Society for the Deaf? Maybe a man name Don Cabbage? If none of these ring a bell to you, I will share you what is Deafville. A man name Don Cabbage, who is the founder of this Deafville project. Who he and his team have been endeavoring a goal to create a deaf-friendly community that would designed around for our needs. To make a Deaf-Friendly Community a reality.

I first discovered about the Deafville when I have received a flyer in my email. After visiting the Deafville's website video and the videophone (VP) called I took for the survey. I've decided to investigate about Deafville project, because I was starting to have a suspicion about their unprofessional website design. Whether they may be a scam business who trying to ruin the Deaf community. It turns out they weren't a scam business to ruin the Deaf & Hard of Hearing community. After I made one VP called in one town where they were planning the project in Pocono, PA. I contact one person who lives in that area and work there. She explained to me about this Deafville project as she is familiar with. She also met Don Cabbage at the meeting with many others who attended there to learn more about this project. I also have discovered about the American Society for the Deaf who was founded by Don and his wife Betty. American Society for the Deaf is a social service organization offering many specialized services and opportunities for deaf and hard of hearing people internationally. They founded this World Mission Society and have worked for the betterment of the Deaf Community worldwide. I also have learned about Don previous Bible ministry through some people who already know him in some states in the US.

A few months later, I end up met Don Cabbage in person and learned about him and his business assistant partner as well. We are trying our best to collect more information from the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community where I live. Not only in my home town or in Massachusetts, which Don Cabbage is working to gather the information there but anywhere in the US. I am partly helping him out with this project because I believe this Deafville project is a great idea plan to build a Deaf-friendly town in PA.

What is Deafville? Deafville is the concept of creating a community that is truly deaf-friendly. They believe the Culturally Deaf have the right to go through the course of a day without needing an interpreter or conforming to the language of another person or culture. Their community concept is designed to meet all of our needs for housing, occupations, retail, services, recreation, and more. To see if people have an interest in leasing, purchasing or renting an apartment, condo, home and/or stay at the hotel for vacation or visiting purpose in a community specifically established to serve the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I have also learned that they are willing to help those who would like to live there and assist you to get a job in the Deaf-friendly town. To order to do more for this business plan, they need our help to make this happen. They need to collect data from the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community by survey. To gather information whom have the interest in the Deaf-friendly community project idea.

One day, I would like to move in Pocono, PA where they are working to create one there. Pocono, PA isn't the only place Don Cabbage had been working in this Deaf-friendly community project. Learn more about this project, visit at http://Deafville.com and see for yourself what this could mean to you.

If you have visited, observe and learn about Deafville, share with us what you think about this project. Why do you think this project is wonderful or bad idea.

Last edited:
I think it is great idea yet at the same time a lot of want to be or sab fans will be there too. I think it would bring more jobs for deaf people if all the restaurant, gas stations, and shopping stores are deaf friendly. But do remember not all deaf people sign so put that into your plans.

I think it is great idea yet at the same time a lot of want to be or sab fans will be there too. I think it would bring more jobs for deaf people if all the restaurant, gas stations, and shopping stores are deaf friendly. But do remember not all deaf people sign so put that into your plans.
Just to let you know, I am not the Deafville members who working on those plan. I happen to just support them and sometime give them some suggestion. With some feed back help about their website and by deliver people about Deafville. I also have a copies of the Deafville survey which Don gave me in paper. Just in case if those who don't used computer, they can write it and then mail it.

Have you visit the site yet?

Yea I looked at it quickly but I was going to pull it up on desktop and look at it more and take the survey

It would be nice if each state had a community like that instead of just one state. What if you don't want to move to PA? If every state has a deaf school, then we can have a deafville in each state.

It would be nice if each state had a community like that instead of just one state. What if you don't want to move to PA? If every state has a deaf school, then we can have a deafville in each state.
They don't. Nebraska doesn't. They send their kids to Iowa . And enrollment shrinks still.

They don't. Nebraska doesn't. They send their kids to Iowa . And enrollment shrinks still.
That's more due to having the deaf schools as a last resort placement. They really don't publicize it as an option, or inform that HOH (either functionally or audilogically) can attend deaf schools. The public schools like to keep the kids in public schools, as a moneymaker. They can provide minimal accomodnations, and still be said to be providing a Free and Appropreate Education. Very frustrating.

Correct, one of deaf school in North Carolina closed due to low enrollment so they still talking about close one more, possibly NCDS and their students have option to transfer to ENCSD. ENCSD has lost a lot of students nowadays, that wasn't same as in 1989.

BTW, some kids from Nebraska go to MSSD (high school only).

That's more due to having the deaf schools as a last resort placement. They really don't publicize it as an option, or inform that HOH (either functionally or audilogically) can attend deaf schools. The public schools like to keep the kids in public schools, as a moneymaker. They can provide minimal accomodnations, and still be said to be providing a Free and Appropreate Education. Very frustrating.

I'm sure that some deaf schools, including one in my state offer summer camp to all hard of hearing and deaf kids as attempt to increase the enrollment, so it did give a mixed success, but it is easier for kids to live around 30-45 miles radius from deaf school so they will get daily free bus (Mon to Fri).

Correct, one of deaf school in North Carolina closed due to low enrollment so they still talking about close one more, possibly NCDS and their students have option to transfer to ENCSD. ENCSD has lost a lot of students nowadays, that wasn't same as in 1989.

BTW, some kids from Nebraska go to MSSD (high school only).

I'm sure that some deaf schools, including one in my state offer summer camp to all hard of hearing and deaf kids as attempt to increase the enrollment, so it did give a mixed success, but it is easier for kids to live around 30-45 miles radius from deaf school so they will get daily free bus (Mon to Fri).
Oh yeah totally. Unless a kid is experiencing unusual circumstances, it's best for a kid to day school/program it. But yeah, a lot of deaf schools get new students if they offer a really good summer camp. I know that TSD gets a lot of new kids through their summer program.

Oh yeah totally. Unless a kid is experiencing unusual circumstances, it's best for a kid to day school/program it. But yeah, a lot of deaf schools get new students if they offer a really good summer camp. I know that TSD gets a lot of new kids through their summer program.

Also, in here, other reason, if deaf student is sign language user and public school can't find an interpreter so they will likely to recommended to send to deaf school.

I know some deaf students who are sign language user go to deaf school because of no interpreters.

I think its a bad idea in part... Like building a little camp here and there, isolation from the rest of the community. It would be better to set up offices ( doctors, lawyers and whatever ) that specializes in the deaf communities to help, rather than give them a false feeling of a safe zone. What if they had to be taken somewhere else for an emergency? They would be lost from relying on this so called town. The hearing world learns from the deaf members and theres a bond to be built or bridged. I know some places cater, some don't to the deaf world, but if we all run and hide in a cubby hole from the outside world nothing will ever work. Think outside the box, we are not mentally disabled, we can do for ourselves like any other person, but the so called deafies that hates hearies... well they have a lot to learn as well as there Hearies who just don't get it.

funny this post went 2 days and came to a screeching halt. Just looked at the timestamps, wow. Not to mention, I'm surprised not many deaf/Deafs commented on this.

hi all, i am curious about, i do want to look for some work, i am 55 yrs old, i have wide range of skills from warehouses and restuarants, not happy around here in my hometown.
i love chinese food, mexican food, and i can cook basic italian food, i mostly grilled and prep in past.
i also happy to teach history, i had studied some old histories of italy, england, ireland, germany, and few other nations, including america, but i am not certified as teacher.
best of all, i can teach and train as job coach.
i dont have a car, do they have city bus services? if working, i plan to get my own car again soon.

let you know my bio, i can talk, and often use extact english and do ASL pretty well, but not very advanced since i grew up not allowed to use my hands to talk, took me few years to understanding ASL and american english signs.
my past seem almost border line not sure if i was born or by illness when i was 2 when i was deaf, discovered 2 more yrs later as deaf, when i ask my mother, her memory wasnt that very good.

to answer this. not everyone has computer or access, or not aware of Pocono project, my suggestion was send flyers or tracts to local deaf clubs, schools, and to several BVR offices.
just being careful, not all are nice folks, i had met other deaf who put name callings and acting bully on others, had a bad experience with few nasty ones who doesnt understand that no one perfect.
i read bible scriptures many time until i went to bible study very recent and i am just begin to having a spiritual awakening, much more than i was younger, there are different deafs with special needs.
that i could also do as House parent, teach cookings, help them study school works, and job coaching when they need.

Back