What is Deaf Culture or it is just a myth?

Banjo said:
We are talking about a so-called "culture" that celebrates a medical condition that the majority of the world consider to be a serious handicap.

Ohhhh.

Forgive me, everyone, I am relatively new around here and did not know this poster's views well enough to avoid stumbling into one of "those" debates that I avoid as a rule. I hope the original poster found some clarification.

I see it's already on its way to becoming a myth. Many deaf kids especially the "CI generation" nowdays are being raised in enviroments completely devoid of deaf culture elements.
Ummmm....so? MANY deaf kids weren't raised in a deaf culture enviroment, and yet they discovered it as teens or as adults. Besides, I know of hard of hearing kids (even a handful of kids with mild or unilateral losses) who are being raised with Sign, and exposure to the Deaf world! Hey....I know of hearing kids who are Deaf b/c they use Sign as a primary language due to other disabilties!
We are talking about a so-called "culture" that celebrates a medical condition that the majority of the world consider to be a serious handicap. Like it or not, but it's true. I do believe that people who have the intentions of breeding deaf children need to seek professional help and I'm not talking about fertility problems.
Banjo, It's obvious that you are not a sociologist or historian. Yes, many people consider deafness to be a disability, but in the past a lot of things,traits etc were considered as "not desireable" or even desirable...I know that for example back in Ancient Egypt schienophernics were worshipped as gods! Maybe in a hundred years our society will look upon deafness as a desirable trait!

Banjo, It's obvious that you are not a sociologist or historian. Yes, many people consider deafness to be a disability, but in the past a lot of things,traits etc were considered as "not desireable" or even desirable...I know that for example back in Ancient Egypt schienophernics were worshipped as gods! Maybe in a hundred years our society will look upon deafness as a desirable trait!

We're talking about now. Let's keep that in our minds. Today, deafness is not a desirable trait. We don't live in the past, we live in the present. By the way, did you mean schizophrenic instead of schienophernic?

People will be either scared, or fascinated by something they don't understand. People worship out of fear, just like people fear God. So they worship. They simply don't understand it.

Back in the ol' days, it was easy for a person to accuse one other of being possessed by the devil. Today, we've learned even more of how people are affected by mental illnesses.

Joan of Arc heard voices too as well, so people could say she was a nutcase. Today, we have a much better understanding of deafness and the difficulties people face with being deaf in today's society.

By the way, it's highly unlikely that deafness will be desired by the society in the future. Only a primitive cult would desire such a thing.

By the way, did you mean schizophrenic instead of schienophernic?
Yeah, I did. I can't spell!
By the way, it's highly unlikely that deafness will be desired by the society in the future. Only a primitive cult would desire such a thing.
On the other hand....perhaps deafness is an evolutionary advantage. Our bodies have decided that we don't need to hear, so our other senses are sharper to compensate for that. Who knows? Maybe in a hundred years......

Today, deafness is not a desirable trait.
Argreed. Deafness is not a desirable trait, but neither is it a horrible thing.It just is, just like skin color or height or gender or eithnity or any other part of human variance.
I don't define myself purely by my audilogical state, but I do take pride in it. It is just a part of me, the same way my blue eyes and my passion for books is a part of me.

Oh, and Nesmuth.....if Deaf culture is dead or dying, then how come this place is alive and well?

deafdyke said:
On the other hand....perhaps deafness is an evolutionary advantage. Our bodies have decided that we don't need to hear, so our other senses are sharper to compensate for that. Who knows? Maybe in a hundred years......

Well, that'll be different and our ears would as well disappear. Otherwise, it's just a waste of skin. But not in a hundred years. Evolutionary doesn't happen overnight, so if it ever happen. We'll just adapt.

deafdyke said:
Oh, and Nesmuth.....if Deaf culture is dead or dying, then how come this place is alive and well?

Because discussions here in AD arent limited to deaf culture.

Richard

Because discussions here in AD arent limited to deaf culture.
Agreed...that's one of the reasons I like this place....b/c it's not limited to Deaf culture. However, most people here ID as Deaf, and there are even parents of deaf kids who post here!!!! If it wasn't for Deafness, then this place would not exist. And, I have to say that this place is far more active then many of the other hearing related sites I go to. Ten years ago, experts were saying that Deaf culture was on its way out....I think you gotta wait til the CI kids are grown up before you can say anything. Hey, even before CI about ten percent of deaf kids were educated orally....and even with the CI the increase in orally educated kids has not risen significently. (only about 30% of implantees are superstars.....and that probaly has more to do with yuppie methods of raising kids then it does with equipment) Hey....MOST orally educated kids DO eventually learn Sign. I don't think it's time to write Deaf culture's obit quite yet.

Oh, and there IS a Deaf culture......it's not as blatant as say the culture of Yap Islanders....but it is a subculture within North American culture. Sort of like the way Goth/punk etc isn't a culture on it's own, but is a subculture.
There's also a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) difference between the hearing impaired
communties (eg SHHH and AG Bell) and Deaf culture. Look in Volta Voices and Hearing Loss and Healthy Hearing. They just redo the same old boring " Science Report" type of stories on ALDs and the like. Whereas with Signews or World Around You the articles are more interesting b/c they are about CULTURE!!!!!

Liebling:-))) said:
Well, Deaf Culture has nothing do with foods, etc but socialize.

I can see the difference between Deaf and Hearing World. I had the feeling that Deafies culture are more warm than Hearing culture because I know the difference between Hearing and Deaf because I living in hearing world is work, my sons´s school, hearing parents, etc. etc. etc.

Something like that:
We (deafies) kiss on each cheek 3 times when we greet each other. Hearing? No, but say "Hi or Hello or shake the hand when we greet each other.

I remember when we celebrated my hubby´s 50th birthday in the resturant. The owner and waitresses was like :eek2: when they saw us greet our deafies friends is kiss each cheek and happily chat and laugh..... Hearing? All what I saw is chat polite. The waitress said that deafies like this fanastic her very because she saw it for a first time in her life how warm deafies are and hold together.

If we want to visit my friends then make arrange thru fax or mobile phone. We (deafies) serve our friends coffee and cake, then evening snack, have them stay as long as they like until midnight or after midnight but Hearing? Hearing do is serve them coffee and piece of cake, then give them feeling that they should "go".

Hearing doesnt find Deaf jokes funny but we do. We (Deafies) doesnt find Hearing jokes but they do.

I notice that we (Deafies) are very straightforward people and more than hearing. We love to meet new people from other countries and socialize with them. We (deafies) said "Hi, are you deaf? we are deaf" when we saw deaf foreigners or strangers on the street then chat with them on the street then go to cafe.....

Exactly!

Now you see this is deaf culture and different as hearing culture.

I totally agree with you 100% :D

We all need to do our part to keep Deaf Culture and Heritage alive and well.

Me?... I'm starting another year as a mentor for deaf kids in a mainstream high school here. I wasn't exposed to the Deaf community and sign language until after high school. By coming to the students, I can bring to them what I searched for. I've worked with few students so far and it's been rewarding.

I also visit with my Deaf friends, participate in local Deaf Clubs and state associations, Deaf Awareness activities and live the culture/heritage thing right here at home.

It's not even work. That to me is being an advocate. ...You?

Steve

what?

this is what some wrote
))))))deaf person tends to go inside and flip the lights on for attention.

Our Culture has doorbell light, phone light, vibration under bed for alarm, turn light on at night driving for chat, etc. Nothing to do with food.

As for hearing culture: They dont welcome anyone without phone first. They dont have many equipments like we have like: phone light, etc. They set their time limit for chat with their friends. Hearing tends to have right on time for anything. We, deafies, tend to postponing our times.

Hearing are not honest with their families/friends if they have short or long hair cut. They are polite to say nice words. We are not polite...we tell truth period! We are more of straightforward, not hearing people! (((((((

are you out of you mind? you know the wrong people !!! as for time limiting oh please..i know hearing people who stay up all night ..till dawn!
filping the lights?a hearing thing ..started way back when electricity was first used in large factories..and it is still done today..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS FOR NOT BEING HONEST..I HAVE DEAF GIRLS KISS THEIR BOYFREIND AS HE GOES HOME,AND THEN FUCK HIS BEST FREIND!
SO PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH DEAF PEOPLE ARE ANGELS!!!!
i live a gallaudet ,and i see every major sin here! stealing,cheating,lies,fights,everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was supposed to be about deaf culture.
as for a languang in a language... that is not unique to deaf people. there are many dialecs of arabic..so many that different tribes do not understand one another....but it is still arabic. not to mention the CHINESE>>>SO MANY!!!
there is a culture of hearing people who use sign only!!!!! no vocal word!!!!they are on one of the pacific islands cut off from the world. researchers were stunned!
there is nothing unique about deaf culture.nothing...i mean football has a more unique culture! they have their own language,clothes(jersey of the favrite team),food (buffalo wings !invented by a football coach to hype his team),holiday(superbowl!!!!),customs(tailgating)...
lets try bikers!
cloths !leathers! holidays !bike week stugis! customs!wet tshrit contests,swapmeets ,braging and bullshitting till dawngiving cops the finger ,waving to fellow bikers weather you know them or not!

and yes i am DEAF!!!! i do not hear shit!! i was on my bike and nearly got ran over by a fire truck blaring the horn and sirens ..RIGHT BEHIND ME!!!
the point is..deaf people are just like everybody else.they have there little groups who do thing that they like. thats all. a culture within a culture,within a culture,within a culture,.....that simple

vfr said:
this is what some wrote
))))))deaf person tends to go inside and flip the lights on for attention.

Our Culture has doorbell light, phone light, vibration under bed for alarm, turn light on at night driving for chat, etc. Nothing to do with food.

As for hearing culture: They dont welcome anyone without phone first. They dont have many equipments like we have like: phone light, etc. They set their time limit for chat with their friends. Hearing tends to have right on time for anything. We, deafies, tend to postponing our times.

Hearing are not honest with their families/friends if they have short or long hair cut. They are polite to say nice words. We are not polite...we tell truth period! We are more of straightforward, not hearing people! (((((((

are you out of you mind? you know the wrong people !!! as for time limiting oh please..i know hearing people who stay up all night ..till dawn!
filping the lights?a hearing thing ..started way back when electricity was first used in large factories..and it is still done today..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AS FOR NOT BEING HONEST..I HAVE DEAF GIRLS KISS THEIR BOYFREIND AS HE GOES HOME,AND THEN FUCK HIS BEST FREIND!
i live a gallaudet ,and i see every major sin here! stealing,cheating,lies,fights,everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

this was supposed to be about deaf culture.
as for a languang in a language... that is not unique to deaf people. there are many dialecs of arabic..so many that different tribes do not understand one another....but it is still arabic. not to mention the CHINESE>>>SO MANY!!!
there is a culture of hearing people who use sign only!!!!! no vocal word!!!!they are on one of the pacific islands cut off from the world. researchers were stunned!
there is nothing unique about deaf culture.nothing...i mean football has a more unique culture! they have their own language,clothes(jersey of the favrite team),food (buffalo wings !invented by a football coach to hype his team),holiday(superbowl!!!!),customs(tailgating)...
lets try bikers!
cloths !leathers! holidays !bike week stugis! customs!wet tshrit contests,swapmeets ,braging and bullshitting till dawngiving cops the finger ,waving to fellow bikers weather you know them or not!

and yes i am DEAF!!!! i do not hear shit!! i was on my bike and nearly got ran over by a fire truck blaring the horn and sirens ..RIGHT BEHIND ME!!!
the point is..deaf people are just like everybody else.they have there little groups who do thing that they like. thats all. a culture within a culture,within a culture,within a culture,.....that simple

*ahem*subculture*ahem*

ok

cental34 said:
*ahem*subculture*ahem*
you are right!!SUBculture!
i forgot the joint habits of deafies, bikers and footballers....... the hangover! :beer: :cheers: :barf:

Just for clarification, I was only providing the word that vfr was looking for. I do not have enough information or experience with the deaf community to determine culture or not, and it'd be foolish of me to judge.

Right now, we are in the technology world, it may sound like myth...

I do believe in strong deaf culture. If I were hearing, I would say Myth...

vfr

i live a gallaudet ,and i see every major sin here! stealing,cheating,lies,fights,everything!!!!!!!!!! !!

Ugh ??? Hearing people do fuck with their spouse's best friends. I had heard about this last week.

hearing people are worse than Deaf people, they (hearies) would fuck with three somes even they are married. Tell me :ugh2:

The deaf have both a community and a culture. While the idea that the deaf have a culture and community is news to many hearing people, it has existed for a long time.
source

Back