What is "AnyPC"?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Reba, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Reba

Reba Retired Terp Premium Member

My netbook, Windows 7, came installed with AnyPC. What is it? Can I get rid of it?

I tried looking it up on the internet and could find only Australian sales sites. :dunno:

2. VamPyroX

VamPyroX bloody phreak from hell

Sounds like a remote access program. With that, you can access another computer (also with AnyPC installed).

Think of it as your home desktop computer having AnyPC and you take your netbook elsewhere, but can still control your desktop computer from there.

3. VamPyroX

Can you give us a screenshot of the program?

Can you run it? If so, check "About AnyPC" and give us the info from there?

4. SneakerNet

SneakerNet My IQ: 12 Premium Member

AnyPC is basically allow to run bigger applications or processing power where Netbook can't. So, you can install a "Server" on your desktop or laptop and have netbook run applications from your desktop, it's similar to "remote" access. As you all know that disk size or ram size are limited on netbook, and have no place to install applications. So using AnyPC solve all that problems. So there are two part.. AnyPC client (in netbook) and AnyPC server on desktop. That is all.

5. Reba

Reba Retired Terp Premium Member

Thanks, guys. It doesn't sound like anything I'll need but I'll leave alone for now. It might be useful later.

p.s.
    I just noticed that installing it would send me to a payment page, so I'm not interested.

6. SneakerNet

SneakerNet My IQ: 12 Premium Member

Yeah, the only different is that using remote access take a complete control of another computer. AnyPC run as a sever on the desktop (in background mode) so that way other person can use the desktop running different application while Netbook connected to desktop running in background mode and run another application. it's almost like virtual system.

7. VamPyroX

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised about that.

A lot of computers come with a bunch of icons/shortcuts included on the desktop. Clicking on them give you a great offer, but also cost money.

I remember back then when a lot of computers included "Install AOL" icons. :roll:

8. diehardbiker

diehardbiker Active Member

OMG! I totally forgot all about it, that is right it was everywhere and it was a PEST plus very invasive! Even if I decline that, they installed anyway. I hate AOL forever!

9. Ocie Denver

Ocie Denver Member

USS Iowa - Akira class starship - Federation space
    That is why I prefer retail version since it does not contain any bloat software.

10. purplecatty

purplecatty Active Member

I've used AnyPC program before. It's nice and useful. I didn't use it much because I couldn't figure out how to setup VPN. But AnyPC is useful for home networking if you want to monitor kid's usage, run a program without running down and up the stair, transfer files and shut off system in other rooms without walking back and forth.

The problem in the past that it was a resource hog that my kids can spot it easily when I connect to monitor their usage. Right now system are much better, powerful and faster plus plenty memory so it wouldn't be a problem.

Catty