What do you think?

Mishka Zena » Blog Archive » NCSD Suspends 7 Students and 5 Staff Members

I got this from one blogger I really like elsewhere and have posted it here. So what's new in Denmark? Sigh.......

I got word about this tonight from a friend. From my understanding, The NCSD Director Linda Lindsey is not fluent in ASL and always in a need of an interpreter in order to communicate with the students. I just find this so ironic because as a director of a Deaf School, You are expected to be able to know ASL in order to communicate with the students.

Aside from the ASL expectations, This is not the only complaints NCSD Students are having. They are wanting better access to the education, technology and athletics programs as well.

Here's 2 links that I'd like to share in this thread --

NCSD suspends staff, students - The Morganton News Herald

NCSD averts protest - The Morganton News Herald

Interesting 'read', sad as it is, hope they'll be able to resolve this peacefully.

*off-topic*
As for a 'director' being expected to know ASL, in a way, I disagree, a director can use the services of an interpreter to get their messages across...the bottom line is the ability to be able to 'communicate'...whether an interpreter follows the director around daily or the director being proficient to communicate using sign language. ;)

~RR

School Director Unable to Communicate with Deaf Students

School Director Unable to Communicate with Deaf Students | WBTV | Top Stories

There is growing concern in Morganton over who should be in charge at the North Carolina School for the Deaf.

Linda Lindsey is the director of the school. She and several administrators don't know how to use sign language fluently.

They are unable to communicate with students and many teachers without an interpreter.

Lindsey started leading the school nearly four years ago and has been taking sign classes. Still, she is not fluent.

Family members of students we spoke with think knowing sign language should have been a requirement for the leader of the school.

On Monday, students planned to hold a protest march, but officials put a stop to that.

As WBTV's Steve Ohnesorge reports, alumni and parents are speaking out on the issue.

I hope someone will listen when the parents and alumni speak out. Perhaps this woman missed DPN in 1988.

Interesting 'read', sad as it is, hope they'll be able to resolve this peacefully.

*off-topic*
As for a 'director' being expected to know ASL, in a way, I disagree, a director can use the services of an interpreter to get their messages across...the bottom line is the ability to be able to 'communicate'...whether an interpreter follows the director around daily or the director being proficient to communicate using sign language. ;)

~RR

Right but this issue is still fleshing out. The attempted protest was to have happened sometime this week but the administrators got wind of it and stopped it when the students were bussed back to the school this past Sunday evening. I understand this has been brewing for a long time and that there are other serious concerns so we will have to wait and see what is uncovered now that the media is forcing the State to give the issues the proper attention instead of constantly sweeping them under the rug.....

It does the same thing with former president from Gallaudet University. We were wondering why she took the position if she does not know the ASL(limited sign language, I think) and Deaf Education along with Deaf Culture. Both of them don't really care about the Deaf communities at all and did said really negative comments to Deaf students and staff. That is probably why we need to protest to voice our concerns for our Deaf rights. They, both, clearly don't understand the Deaf people at all which is a shock. What a bummer!!!! :pissed:

Back