What do you think of spouses who call each other mom/dad etc.

bpkCountryGirl

Reaction score
Let's just say, I know of a couple that does this. It's embarrassing to me to hear them call each that, especially if there's other people around. It's just creepy and grosses me out too when I hear it. I don't understand why spouses call each other mom/dad in front of children. I think it's also inappropriate.

Is this for real? I just never heard any spouses calling each others " mom " or " dad " in front of their children or when there are people around, that's sorta of weird in my opinion...

I don't see a problem calling my partner's mom, "Mom" front my of mother, I don't see a problem.. :whistle:

I don't see a problem calling my partner's mom, "Mom" front my of mother, I don't see a problem.. :whistle:

Umm that's not what she asked, she asked ....for example: do you call your partner father?

I believe this was somewhat common in the Midwest and South in the old days, that spouses would call each other dad/papa and mom/mama. I don't know why, but maybe they saw no use to call each other something else like their nicknames or real names front of the children.

Some might do it until their kids are old enough to understand the meaning.

A lot of foreign movies do that... where they are called "brother", "sister", "mother", "father", "master", "student", etc.

Oh yeah... My mother has four sisters and a brother. My mother and her sisters usually address their brother "Brother"...

If Hubby and I are alone together, or with other adults, we call each other by our first names. If we are with a group of children, such as an elementary class, we call each other Mr. and Mrs. Lastname. If I'm talking to my daughter about Hubby, I would say, "Dad will be home at 6 p.m." But if I talk directly to Hubby, I use his first name.

If you don't say "mom" and "dad" to your children, what do you call them? I wouldn't say to my daughter, "Give the book to Ed." I would say, "Give the book to Dad." My daughter calls him "Dad", not his first name. Our grandchildren call us "Grammy" and "Grampy". They don't call us Reba and Ed.

My husband calls me Mommy and I calls my husband Daddy in front of our child.. And when no child around me, we call by our names... We do that all the time in the public...

If Hubby and I are alone together, or with other adults, we call each other by our first names. If we are with a group of children, such as an elementary class, we call each other Mr. and Mrs. Lastname. If I'm talking to my daughter about Hubby, I would say, "Dad will be home at 6 p.m." But if I talk directly to Hubby, I use his first name.

If you don't say "mom" and "dad" to your children, what do you call them? I wouldn't say to my daughter, "Give the book to Ed." I would say, "Give the book to Dad." My daughter calls him "Dad", not his first name. Our grandchildren call us "Grammy" and "Grampy". They don't call us Reba and Ed.

:laugh2:

That would be weird if my mom had said that to me "Give the book to Mike" instead of saying "Give the book to Dad"

My husband calls me "Hey momma!" but it is a joke. I asked him why he calls me that and he said cuz he is proud of me for having his child. :dunno: I still dont call him "Poppa" cuz I didnt grow up with my parents calling each other that to each other like he did. At first it was weird but it grew on me and now he is doing that in front of our kids, friends, and family. Nobody seems to care.

Umm that's not what she asked, she asked ....for example: do you call your partner father?
Oh then you gotta ask my mom's so called boyfriend, he is older enough to be my "older brother" and young enough to be called a son to my mom whose 54 years old and he's 29. What's sickening is that I've slept with him once before, now he's gone after my mom... Ewww

Oh then you gotta ask my mom's so called boyfriend, he is older enough to be my "older brother" and young enough to be called a son to my mom whose 54 years old and he's 29. What's sickening is that I've slept with him once before, now he's gone after my mom... Ewww

:eek3: ....I agree it's eww....

Have u seen the movie "Rumor Has It"? The character slept with the guy who slept with her mom AND her grandma! I would freak out if that happened to me. EWWWWW!

Have u seen the movie "Rumor Has It"? The character slept with the guy who slept with her mom AND her grandma! I would freak out if that happened to me. EWWWWW!

:putting my ham sandwich down: I can't enjoy my lunch now :tears:

I don't call my hubby "Dad" If I talk w/my children.. Don't ask me.. you can ask Dad go ahead..

Mostly I tend say, Mommy want talk Dad now.. please my kid will run into and poke Dad.. Mommy want talk you now.. go upstair..

I don't call front of my husband Hi Daddy! No.. call his name.
(chuckles)

for clarification of poeple, why do we call our parents mom and dad? we were raised to acknowledge who our parents are. it is NOT weird nor is it creepy. this is a proper equitte. in all aspect, if you are talking to ur singificant other, think about this, * Tom where do you want to go to dinner * In front of the child that knows him as "Dad" the child will b e confused. if you say this * where do you want to go to dinner "dad". then the child will know the mother is asking dad a question. So the acknowledgement will be clear for the child, in time the child will know both thier names but they are to call one another mom and dad for child's understanding. Most of the time i tell children say HI to Auntie" so and so" because here in hawaii we respect our elders and our friends. one little girl that i helped babysit calls me auntie out of respect. even tho i'm not thier aunt its about respect. same idea for the children to know and respect who thier parents are. I am ALL for calling my wife mom if i am in front of my kid. this is respectful in every way. so the child knows who i am talking to. otherwise. we dont use our first name :)

Well my husband do call me "mom" and it annoyed me sometime. So I called him "dad" and he loved it.

Well my 4 years old son started calling me by our names. :eek: I started to notice that he calls us Mom and Dad instead of Mommy and Daddy. I don't know what 4 years old should be saying to their parents?

Back