What do you think about music?

journeyfree

Reaction score
I'm wondering your thoughts about music. Do you enjoy it? Do you hear any of it, or do you experience it through vibrations?

I ask because when I was younger, a lot of my Deaf friends liked music, even if we did not actually hear it.

In the last couple of years, I'm getting more comments like "No, why would I? I'm Deaf!"

Wondering if there's a decline in interest.

I wrote about my own experience with music today:

http://www.munkymind.com/blog/2015/12/05/why-i-love-music-even-though-im-deaf/

it depends on the individual . I know a few HOH people who listen to metal and rock n roll. I have seen a some deaf people with iPods and phones wearing ear buds. I am sure it's a personal preference . I hope some will reply to give their view.

Hello! You only can not listen music. Doing your experience it by vibrations can not offer enough enjoyment. I hope you understand it.
I am hoh. I only understand to listen hong kong and korean music because of long training.

We got special thertre and have one night of what ever on I sit in front row more or less on speakers and it vibration but I don't bother much anymore.i do put elvis on YouTube read words watch him.i learning organ and feel music it really cool thing.but other than that I don't bother

If I was in the bar or party, there would be vibrations with loud music blaring through us.

I have severe hearing loss on my left ear but I am totally deaf on my right ear. I enjoyed seeing someone who is an ASL interpreter(s) signed the songs from someone who made live music. I enjoyed seeing what the interpreter was signing the songs. I love it, even if I could not hear well with the sounds of music on my left ear. I really depend on ASL interpreters for signing the songs. So it help.

On T.V., I watched mostly in drama Opera with opened captioned or closed captioned and I like that reading the captioned on Opera. When the opera characters expressed their feelings through their songs, that is what I want to feel through words from the captioned programs. It is the same with movies on T.V. programs with closed captioned. So on the live music like Broadway or Opera, that would be very difficult to make out. So I just don't understand what they are making the music about. I would rather stay home and watched the programs that have music for closed captioned or subtitled.

I miss music the most. The rare times I can hear it is like the best feeling in the world. Im almost deaf now

Sent from my Z958 using AllDeaf App mobile app

There is also a Deaf Musicians thread too. So some deaf/HOH still do enjoy/play music.

my hub does, he has much better talent for me music than me. I have no musical skill or "ear" at all.
Hub plays guitar <he would say badly>, piano/keyboard, has dabbled in drums and harmonica and sang in high school performances.

I have no idea what "on key" sounds like, either. I sing to the cats for the fun of it. Hubby says I sound better than they do. (For what that's worth. :lol: )

:lol:
I sing at service <synagogue> - seeing and singing in, the Hebrew is a very spiritual thing for me. It feels deep within me though I don't know Hebrew.

My husband likes to hum and make sound effects and has been known to sing in the shower.

I certainly don't sing, but I did like playing the bass when I was young.

well I'm sure my singing sucks:lol: but I don't care. It's just for fun.
But so far as instruments - no ability at all <very common with some people who have learning disabilities> nor really interest.

I also love the music and dancing/drums at pow wows and will dance in the Inter-tribals <anyone who likes dances>

I was bassist. I enjoyed it. Not good with voice or understand their voice song. But I can make music and beat.

Back