What did you learn today? Part II

Learned today that a friend of mine is doing great in drug rehab, 3 months now. While I was there visiting, there was a 74 year old woman in there for alcoholism......:shock:....guess you are never too old to get off the sauce...

Also learned today, that it will be another week before Home Depot will be able to cut my bookcase shelves...I've already got the stain color (buying them unfinished) and am anxious to begin my project.

Could not do any painting today either, since the weater is very rainy and so wet outside, but my flower garden is loving all this rain!

My daughter did not get a scholarship from my work. Not surprising since its a large international business.
The other 2 scholarships are more local, I think. Hopefully she'll get at least one of them. We're still waiting for the financial aid package from the university.

I learned a few things. Last night, I learned NOT to spin a bullroarer too close to things. Today, I learned that I can use a coping saw to cut long straight lines in boards if you just swing the frame 90 degrees out of the way. I also found out that I was mistaken that I thought I would need to double the thickness of the string attached to the bullroarer to get it to turn back and forth faster. Instead of two strings together, I used one, and now, it spins faster AND louder. In case you don't know what a bullroarer is - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ]communication - YouTube[/ame]

I first learned about it here over 20 years ago when I saw this movie with Mom - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RVudZwl-II]CROCODILE DUNDEE 2 PART 6 - YouTube[/ame] Go to 2 20 and start listening for it.

I've been bored off work for over 3 weeks (I did build a foldout bed for my Jeep wrangler) and went camping twice. I also got lucky with a friend with "benefits."

Learned that Oreo Double Stufs make in vitro babies active.

Back when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter, I would eat a couple Double Stufs on my way to get a non-stress test done (dr thought my 8 lb 6 oz baby was small...I think he just wanted to make the money off reading the results). Every time she was active for the test. I always say she's my Double Stuf kid (ate them durinig her pregnancy) and my oldest daughter is my Lorna Doones kid.

My oldest daughter confirmed for me today that the Double Stufs do make for an active baby. She text me today to say her baby was active last night and this morning. I asked her, kiddingly, if she had eaten Double Stufs, and she said YES!.

Wonder if she'll lay off them for the rest of her pregnancy...my Double Stuf kid was always doing gymnastics in my belly. :lol:

Learned that staining furniture can get tedious, but fun in some aspects too....had to lock up the silly Cat to keep him out of the way.....taking a break but gonna get right back to work.

I learned that the house where a man was golfing in his underwear behind our place was broken into 4 times so far this month. He is now dressing properly when golfing as he got a ticket for indecent exposure. :giggle:

Nothing stolen out of the house, just stuff moved around and contents of fridge dumped.

I learned that the house where a man was golfing in his underwear behind our place was broken into 4 times so far this month. He is now dressing properly when golfing as he got a ticket for indecent exposure. :giggle:

Nothing stolen out of the house, just stuff moved around and contents of fridge dumped.

Guess somebody liked his underwear and was looking for some! :giggle:...his fridge "dumped"?....perhaps he had nothing in there good to eat?

I learned that you can put grape leaves or oak leaves in your home-canned pickles to keep them crisp. Supposedly the tannin in the leaves is what keeps them from getting soggy.

I toured the USS Lexington today. Learned a bunch of stuff.

Boy, you sure get around. Most times when you post, I think you are in SF but.....Corpus Christi??? :lol:

Anyway, is that ship's current docking a permanent one?

I learned that you can put grape leaves or oak leaves in your home-canned pickles to keep them crisp. Supposedly the tannin in the leaves is what keeps them from getting soggy.

I always wondered about that.

I am busy times pretty final lots of heavy job stress increase rough! it is very not easy management 0.o!

It is if you have limited income.

Well, it's a merry-go-round if you still have teenagers in the home :giggle:...then again, can be stressful if ur suffering from bad health, and a host of other things...guess our attitude has a lot to do with it, gotta roll with the flow, and have some hobbies.

Well, it's a merry-go-round if you still have teenagers in the home :giggle:...then again, can be stressful if ur suffering from bad health, and a host of other things...guess our attitude has a lot to do with it, gotta roll with the flow, and have some hobbies.

Well, those things (teenagers, health, etc) can be stressful whether you're retired or not. :giggle: I was just trying to think of a retirement related stress...income.

Well, those things (teenagers, health, etc) can be stressful whether you're retired or not. :giggle: I was just trying to think of a retirement related stress...income.

True....and a lot of retirees are still in good enough health and not enuf to keep them busy and it's hard for a retiree to find a part-time job. There are so many things I'd like to do, even travel, but cannot afford to do so.....I don't dwell upon it and try not to get depressed over it, and never tried to "keep up with the Joneses".....

I have a friend that had to retire (heart surgery) at age 56....he had a good job, but never saved any $$...spent it on women, alcohol, cars, etc. ...He confided to me awhile back how foolish he had been when he was younger and would be a rich man today if he had not squandered all his $$ on trivel things.....Bitter man!...He's poor now and just doesn't seem to care about anything.....And he still squanders his $$...(go figure!)...Old habits die hard.

I learned that when you're homeschooled (Or when you go to a cyber school, like I do), there is no such thing as "spring break". Why? Because there's so much schoolwork to do...

*sigh*

Back