What did you learn today? Part II

did you learn this personally?

Well, instead of threes, I guess celebrities pass away in fives.....

I learned my dear aunt is using a walker to get around til she has her hip surgery. She is about 10 years younger than my <80 yr. old>mom and lives in CA. She has always been active and mobile and they travel a lot.
She recently had an MRI after weeks of being in extreme pain and trying other things for it, found out she needs full hip replacement.

I may send her a goodie bag of things and a card for encouragement. :aw:

You learned BSL today? That's truly amazing to learn BSL in one day. It normally takes years. I'm impressed for you.

I think Rio is an ASL Terp. So how many differences are there to learn to make the switch to BSL?

I just wondered too, even if you know more than one language, to fully become fluent in another in one day?

I just wondered too, even if you know more than one language, to fully become fluent in another in one day?

Maybe she left out the word "about". That would change things. Also, she may have not meant to the point of being fluent.

I think caz has been exposed to both ASL and BSL and can probably tell us more about how similar and/or different they are from each other.

BSL is totally different from ASL. Even all (or most) letters of the alphabet, alone, are totally different from ASL (the letters use 2 hands versus one in ASL.) So, it's impressive to memorize even that in one day. Way to go! :)

The biggest difference is the alphabet for sure. I think there are some differences in signs as well from what I have seen in some videos. About the only sign I saw was the one for "good luck" lol (and even then not sure as my friend is hearing- can't remember how she learned it).

Some more info--
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some...rican-Sign-Language-and-British-Sign-Language

(I recognize Don Gruskin's name)

Short AllDeaf Thread about ASL vs BSL
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=64402

in case anyone is curious...
http://www.british-sign.co.uk/

BSL is totally different from ASL. Even all (or most) letters of the alphabet, alone, are totally different from ASL (the letters use 2 hands versus one in ASL.) So, it's impressive to memorize even that in one day. Way to go! :)
LOL

I was able to 'learn' the alphabet in one day but forget about retention. I promptly forgot about 95% of it the same day.

The biggest difference is the alphabet for sure. I think there are some differences in signs as well from what I have seen in some videos. About the only sign I saw was the one for "good luck" lol (and even then not sure as my friend is hearing- can't remember how she learned it).

Some more info--
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some...rican-Sign-Language-and-British-Sign-Language

(I recognize Don Gruskin's name)

Short AllDeaf Thread about ASL vs BSL
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=64402

in case anyone is curious...
http://www.british-sign.co.uk/
I am fascinated in Learning much more BSL than what I already know:ty:

It was not an overnight thing anyone would know that ( except for some) . Just bec the title of the thread is what did you learn today ? No one can master a language or skill in one day. It takes practice , practice . I just thought why not share I learned BSL , been learning it for awhile and finally came out to say it:lol: Anyways...

He had cancer too and was the same age as David Bowie. :( Cancer is so horrible .

Don't forget about Dan Haggerty. He had cancer for long time too, I think. He passed away yesterday (January 15, 2016). So all three of them had cancers. That is why Cancer sucks.

I have cancer, too. I went to cancer surgeon's clinic to make plans for me to have surgery to remove breast cancer. It will be on my left breast. It was tiny but all ready fill up the wall of the duct which was away from the nibble. This wall will remain stable as it is slow before it had chance to break the wall and that will spread all of the cancer in my breast. I will have surgery on March 15, 2016. After surgery, I will have to go through radiation, not chemotherapy. This is different for my breast cancer. Chemotherapy is suppose for the body not for breast cancer. So I am learning from the surgeon doctor about it. I had ASL interpreter to help me understand what the doctor and the doctor's assistant explained to me about the procedures. So I will be going through 3 steps before surgery like bloodwork, MRI, and needle location under my breast and then surgery. I don't know if I will stay in the hospital after surgery or recovery room. Will find out more about that. :(

I learned that in just this past week or so, we've had 4 celebrities die of cancer. Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Rene (something -- Celine Dion's husband), and now Dan Haggerty. Hope there aren't more that I hadn't heard of yet.

Don't forget about Dan Haggerty. He had cancer for long time too, I think. He passed away yesterday (January 15, 2016). So all three of them had cancers. That is why Cancer sucks.

I have cancer, too. I went to cancer surgeon's clinic to make plans for me to have surgery to remove breast cancer. It will be on my left breast. It was tiny but all ready fill up the wall of the duct which was away from the nibble. This wall will remain stable as it is slow before it had chance to break the wall and that will spread all of the cancer in my breast. I will have surgery on March 15, 2016. After surgery, I will have to go through radiation, not chemotherapy. This is different for my breast cancer. Chemotherapy is suppose for the body not for breast cancer. So I am learning from the surgeon doctor about it. I had ASL interpreter to help me understand what the doctor and the doctor's assistant explained to me about the procedures. So I will be going through 3 steps before surgery like bloodwork, MRI, and needle location under my breast and then surgery. I don't know if I will stay in the hospital after surgery or recovery room. Will find out more about that. :(

Thinking of you and sending prayers and best wishes as you go forward in this journey!

Praying for you

I'm glad that your cancer is slow growing. It's too bad that you have to wait until March 15 for surgery. It's good that you had an interpreter at your appointment.

Praying for your recovery. :hug:

Beb make sure you get lympathic drainage at least 2months worth then study all you can on lymphdemia.it will be the lymphomdema that gives you problems if you have problems.
You ask how many nodes that removed and how far the dye went.needle location for me one little tattoo prick size pin head that hurt..
I had 34 nodes removed but been told since only Need 4 removed.they do lymphatic drainage on burns cases and radiotherapy is burning although you won't feel it on skin but use Aquaus cream anyway..Beb it horrible be told got cancer but it not as bad as you think home after 3 days it very tiring so get rest.
Sound like you have small lump not serious if no chemo.
Everyone I was at clinic with alive and kicking some more advanced than me and back at work 8years ago

Back