What did you learn today? Part II

Don't you have a generator for a few things like the water, frig., a few lights and if not toooo big a load heat & AC depending on season? If seems you have spoken of being without water a number of times.
And I bet all those other times you asked this same question.

Why can't we post things without you giving us unsolicited advice? Do you really thing we're not smart enough to think for ourselves?

Don't you have a generator for a few things like the water, frig., a few lights and if not toooo big a load heat & AC depending on season? If seems you have spoken of being without water a number of times.
Obviously, we don't. And, the generator would help nothing with the water as I've said before. The well has its own power source so a generator at the house will not help with water here.

Last edited:

It's common to have power outage in a storm and besides, AC wasn't looking for any advice nor suggestions. Not every homeowners needs a generator.

Not many can afford one either.

I don't think we have one here... nor does sister or aunt... In fact... I don't think I've ever met anyone that has a back up generator *scratches head*

I have had water out, power out, and gas out. A generator wouldn't do any good. But, paying the bills on time would!

Not many can afford one either.

I don't think we have one here... nor does sister or aunt... In fact... I don't think I've ever met anyone that has a back up generator *scratches head*
I know we can't afford one lol and I've never known anyone with one either

I know we can't afford one lol and I've never known anyone with one either
We finally got one this year. It's not an automatic one; it has to be connected manually. It's 7,500 running watts, 9,000 starting watts.

After living thru three hurricanes here and some other nasty storms where we were without power for days/weeks, we didn't want to do that again. No more throwing out a refrigerator-full of spoiled food.

I learned that this is the list of places selling the approved glasses for viewing the solar eclipse on Aug. 21:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety :cool:

ooh thank you! I know libraries are giving them out for free but don't know if any has run out. My friend in GA says hers did. My local library isn't giving them out. See if I can find a reasonably cheap... under 10 bucks or even 5... pair.

ooh thank you! I know libraries are giving them out for free but don't know if any has run out. My friend in GA says hers did. My local library isn't giving them out. See if I can find a reasonably cheap... under 10 bucks or even 5... pair.
Try the retail stores for $1.98 each. Walmart, Lowes, etc.

Try the retail stores for $1.98 each. Walmart, Lowes, etc.

Plan to- I saw Best Buy and Walmart on there. I have to go to some events next weeks so perfect time to stop by one of them. One of the retailers I looked at through Amazon was selling 5 glasses for 39 bucks (what am I going to do with 5 of them? Parents won't bother likely)

Plan to- I saw Best Buy and Walmart on there. I have to go to some events next weeks so perfect time to stop by one of them. One of the retailers I looked at through Amazon was selling 5 glasses for 39 bucks (what am I going to do with 5 of them? Parents won't bother likely)
TCS picked up two pair for us at Lowes today. They were $1.98 plus tax, each.

Some other warnings:

Keep the pets inside. They're eyes aren't protected.

Don't drive around at that time; too many distracted drivers.

Some other warnings:

Or just stay home where the sun still shines. :p (like my staying put here in Delaware)

Some other warnings:

Good idea, I didn't think of that.
I bought 20 eclipse shades from Dollar General for a buck apiece. I hope I give them all away when the time comes.

We finally got one this year. It's not an automatic one; it has to be connected manually. It's 7,500 running watts, 9,000 starting watts.

After living thru three hurricanes here and some other nasty storms where we were without power for days/weeks, we didn't want to do that again. No more throwing out a refrigerator-full of spoiled food.
I definitely can't blame you there, I hate wasting food !

Some other warnings:

ohh the pets one... I will have to pass that on to the rest of the family- one has 2 lil doggies and the other 1. Pretty sure neither takes them for a walk around that time anyway though.

I learned to not try to charge your phone in a water cup or kitten food containers. Apparently I did this in my sleep last night while my husband watched. :)

Back