What did you learn today? Part II

The only thing I've dipped my fries in is apple sauce.

I do not understand the significance of the total solar eclipse affecting school dates? I'd love to learn about that.
This is from the local paper:

. . . Board members also approved the 2017-2018 school calendar, which came from a committee comprising teachers, administrators, parents and district staff.

District spokeswoman Pat Raynor said it has been a bit of a “challenging year” because of new features; the main challenge was that state law dictates that children cannot start school until the third Monday in August and this year that falls on Aug. 21 – the same day Summerville will experience a solar eclipse, an day that already is becoming a notable event locally.

However, Raynor also said legislators recently approved a resolution to allow school districts to begin school – for next year only – on Aug. 17. Raynor said after “a lot of dialogue” the committee selected Aug. 22 as the first day of school. She said this is in sync with DD4; Charleston County will start on Aug. 17, but its school year will end the same day as DD2.

The district's winter break will be a little different this year as it will start Dec. 20, which is a Wednesday, and return Jan. 3.

Superintendent Joe Pye noted safety concerns with having school Aug. 21, particularly with dismissal.

Pye said local schools will send home packets for the students to have information on the eclipse.

“We just didn’t want to dismiss school and be in the middle of that and (have) drivers and kids trying to see it,” he said, adding it would be a “very bad situation” in terms of safety.

http://www.journalscene.com/news/dd...cle_2aa822aa-085b-11e7-852c-6be7f4aa1605.html

For the tri-county area:

. . . Local school districts have opted to start school days early or later to avoid having their students in class or on buses during the total solar eclipse when, for about 90 seconds starting at 2:46 p.m., the moon will block out the sun entirely over a linear swath of the United States, including the Charleston area....

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_64079058-098c-11e7-93e4-e7942a97f4b8.html

regarding dipping... I do sometimes eat my fries plain... or with just ketchup but I can remember years ago when we'd eat at Wendy's.. and dipping fries into their Frosty... YUM. I've also done the Honey mustard (usually at sister's house lol).

this is what I THINK I got all those years ago.. I'm going to ask on FB as I am sure an old AOL friend of mine sent it...

fry%20sauce

Am I the only one that eats french fries plain? Maybe some salt substitute on them in addition to the salt that comes on them (restaurant or frozen done at home).
Nope. Thank Gawd we aren't so weird.

I learned what "Recognition Day" at the Citadel is. Here is a video from last year's Recognition Day:

It has those stupid auto captions, which are very inaccurate (sorry). But mostly I wanted to show how the cadets work out on their last knob day. They get up before sunrise to do all that, then clean up, march a parade, and then have the formal ceremony. The exercise images are self-explanatory. Whew!

My grandson's Recognition Day is today. Hubby (TCS) and I are going to the formal ceremony at the end. This is the day that the knobs become cadets and can use their first names, among other things.

I learned what "Recognition Day" at the Citadel is. Here is a video from last year's Recognition Day:

It has those stupid auto captions, which are very inaccurate (sorry). But mostly I wanted to show how the cadets work out on their last knob day. They get up before sunrise to do all that, then clean up, march a parade, and then have the formal ceremony. The exercise images are self-explanatory. Whew!

My grandson's Recognition Day is today. Hubby (TCS) and I are going to the formal ceremony at the end. This is the day that the knobs become cadets and can use their first names, among other things.
I got exhausted just watching. :lol:
I am wondering, though...does the Citadel have boxing?

I learned that I need over $1,600 worth of dental work done. Bleh!

At least it's spread over several visits so I don't need to pay it all at once.

Hmmm it didn't smell to me back in 2003. I didn't get high since then though.

I learned that IHOP have a new red velvet french toast. I'll stick to the plain ones. :)

I'd give that a try at least once! Haven't been to IHOP in a few years though... :(

Yeah I could give it a try once and see if I like it or not. Never know if there's something new you will like or not... :) Seems like IHOP added a lot of flavors in it. :)

I learned today that my daughter knew this little girl. She babysat her, and she was the daughter of my son-in-law's co-worker. The family is devastated. :(

"A man has been charged following a crash early Sunday that killed a 9-year-old girl who was riding in an SUV that was sent over a guardrail on Interstate 26 in Dorchester County. . .

Alivia Watson, 9, of Summerville, died after she was ejected from a Ford Explorer, according to the Dorchester County Coroner's Office. She was transported to Trident Medical Center where she died at 3:27 a.m. ..."

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_c89ec556-1218-11e7-8641-7b8d9bd3a7f7.html

Back