What did you learn today? Part II

Back in my day in late 70's or early 80's this was the books my parents and I learned. The SEE Book I think was 1980 edition, my parents had two books just like this and one Sesame Street for me.

il_570xN.820146495_lihw.jpg

6274b9f256f65589e1fac6673d75545a.jpg
Oh wow, Linda Bove. I remember her!

Lifelock might be OK; just be sure of what you're getting from them.

Most experts recommend credit cards over debit cards for fraud prevention. If someone gets hold of your debit card info they can clean out your account, and you might not get that back. Credit cards have more protection as far as covering purchasing disputes and fraud pay backs. If you catch a credit card dispute right away and report it right away, you should get back your money.

However, credit card companies aren't perfect. For example, the fuss we're having over the fraud Dell issue. The card company did refund the cost of the laptop itself but reinstated the $118 charge for the service contract. That doesn't make a bit of sense. Why would we want a service contract on a computer that we never ordered? This dispute also ties up our account because we can't close it until the dispute is resolved.

A few years ago, TCS had a fraud done to his bank checking account (not card account). Someone with a Sprint phone was having his monthly bill paid for automatic draft from TCS's account. It took a while to get that resolved. He had to fight with Sprint and the bank. He got back his money a little at a time. It was ridiculous. We have never had a Sprint account, so we knew it wasn't our bill. TCS went to the local Sprint manager, face-to-face. The manager told him, that they didn't care whose name was on an account as long as there was money in it. Grrr!!! TCS finally got all the money and the police tracked down the culprit. However, he was one step ahead of the police and got away.

Hi Reba, I have BIG issue with Dell today.

I bought Alienware 17 as prepare for return to college and I have a big issue with grainy screen that hurt my eyes. As IT technician, grainy screen on monitor is from anti-glare coating if GPU isn't defective. I did test with GPU and it does function perfectly, along with clear as crisp on external monitor. I decided to discuss with Dell and hopefully that I can use live chat to discuss with American technician, BUT they told me to call Dell Customer Service. I did on VP and live interpreter told me that their English was bad, so I just tried my best to explain about grainy screen, but they denied that was from anti-glare coating and they told me that my screen on laptop is defective, so need LCD replacement, until several minutes, they told me that they don't have parts anymore, so need full laptop replacement. I told them that I bought at Best Buy so they told me to return to Best Buy if I want. I was RME AND SMH at Dell tech support, so live interpreter got frustrated after deal with poor English skill, so she went rant at me - THERE IS NOTHING FOR YOU TO DO WITH MY LAPTOP SO RETURN TO BEST BUY NOW. I was like whoa... how's professional interpreter on VP and Indian guy with poor English skill at Dell tech support. It is just like me vs. Sorenson interpreter vs. Indian guy from Dell.

I will NEVER buy from Dell nor Alienware for computer. Alienware used to be excellent gaming PC before Dell bought it, also my deaf friend got fired from Alienware in 2007.

Sadly, there is no gaming laptops with glossy finish or semi-matte. My Dell IPS monitor used semi-matte and it took a good time amount for me find it on Amazon.

I learned that thousand island dressing goes really well on hamburgers. Nom nom nom !

I have forgotten just how many different dressings one of my friends uses as a dip for french fries (not all at once — different ones at different times.). Also several of the bunch put one of the red dressings (not sure which one) on pizza.

Red dressings? I'm guessing either French or Western. I cannot imagine that on pizza.

I have forgotten just how many different dressings one of my friends uses as a dip for french fries (not all at once — different ones at different times.). Also several of the bunch put one of the red dressings (not sure which one) on pizza.

There used to be a special kind of sauce for French Fries... I think from Utah. A friend of mine once sent me a bottle of it- that was 14 years ago at least. I wish I could remember the name of it. Was tasty- kind of a mix of mayo, ketchup and some other stuff in there.

You means ketchup or Marinara?

There used to be a special kind of sauce for French Fries... I think from Utah. A friend of mine once sent me a bottle of it- that was 14 years ago at least. I wish I could remember the name of it. Was tasty- kind of a mix of mayo, ketchup and some other stuff in there.

Mayo! Preferred sauce for fries :)

I heard by from thee email I sent the gal in my bunch that regularly puts dressing on pizza and uses a dipping sauce for fries rather than just ketchup.

"You can try ketchup and mayo combo to make a dipping sauce. The dressing I use on the pizza is the Russian or western dressing."

I basically use anything I find in my refrigerator. It's nice to change it up each time. Honey mustard, for example.

Am I the only one that eats french fries plain? Maybe some salt substitute on them in addition to the salt that comes on them (restaurant or frozen done at home).

I learned today that several of the school districts in this area are changing the starting dates of the new school year because of the total solar eclipse that will happen August 21. That's a first! :lol:

So when is the starting date? before or after the eclipse?
If before, then they probably want to make some astronomy classes, if after, then probably they understand that a lot of people are going to take time off to view it :)

Anyway, I checked, the total eclipse won't be visible in California.

So when is the starting date? before or after the eclipse?
If before, then they probably want to make some astronomy classes, if after, then probably they understand that a lot of people are going to take time off to view it :)

Anyway, I checked, the total eclipse won't be visible in California.
They would normally start class Aug. 21, so they'll start Aug. 17 instead, and take off on Aug. 21. That way, they won't have to make up any days at the end of the year.

The eclipse is a big deal here because Charleston, SC, will be a destination site for tourists who want to experience a full solar eclipse (hope it doesn't rain that day). The hotels are offering special packages, and the beaches and Patriots Point are gearing up for special programs. I don't know if the schools have anything special planned.

I do not understand the significance of the total solar eclipse affecting school dates? I'd love to learn about that.

I learned today that several of the school districts in this area are changing the starting dates of the new school year because of the total solar eclipse that will happen August 21. That's a first! :lol:

I do not understand the significance of the total solar eclipse affecting school dates? I'd love to learn about that.

I think where Reba is it is because of how many would be absent to be sure to get to see it. My understanding is that she is in an area where it will be total or very close to it and there are special events because of that.

Am I the only one that eats french fries plain? Maybe some salt substitute on them in addition to the salt that comes on them (restaurant or frozen done at home).
No, but that's iust boring. Why not try it with things in your fridge? Surely you must have some stuff. We go out to eat often and come home with all kinds of dressings from the take out. Do you not?

I basically use anything I find in my refrigerator. It's nice to change it up each time. Honey mustard, for example.

I really like Red's Secret Tavern Sauce at Red Robin for dipping their fries in!

Back