What did this mean?

From what I know of hearing dogs, they basically help alert deaf people to the phone, doorbell, alarm, danger, and whatever the deaf person needs. I have limited knowledge, so this is all that I know.

Sophie ( the puppy) will begin puppy obedience training soon. Then basic obedience, then advanced obedience. Then she will begin training as a hearing dog. A hearing dog alerts the deaf person to environmental sounds that Lilly could not hear. For example, smoke alarms, alarm clocks, door bells and so on.
I realize that Lilly is too young to take advantage of a hearing dog right now. I have had some people tell me that she does not need a hearing dog, because she has 2 CIs. Well, as we all know, she is still deaf. It is not uncommon for Lilly to come home and take off her CIs to enjoy some down time. I fully expect her to do this throughout her life. In that situation, if the fire alarm goes off, the dog will let her know. If someone rings the doorbell, Sophie will alert Lilly that somoeone is at the door. Or the good example that my wife uses. In a few years from now, Lilly will be at the age where she will want to go to slumber parties. If she is at a slumber party, and there is a fire or other type of emergency, everyone would probably instantly evacuate. After they do that, because they are not firmiliar with looking after a deaf child, they may forget that Lilly could not hear the alarm. I am hopeful that other parents would have the foresight to realize that Lilly could not hear the alarm, but I would not bet her life on it. With the hearing dog, we wouldnt have to hope they remember that Lilly did not hear the alarm, because Sophie main objective in her life will be to hear for her.
I realize alot of this may seem far fetched, but I am a firm believer in having a plan. I have hed way too many times in my professional life where having a simple plan has saved my life and the lives of my coworkers.

As I said above, Sophie is still too young to begin training classes. So in the mean time, I have been taking her too as many places as I can where she can be exposed to the public. It is important to socialize any pet dog. But it is vital to have a well behaved work dog if it is going to be in the public. I am also starting some of ther training already. General dog training uses hand gestures. I talked to a few dog trainers and they both agreed with me that it would make more sense to train the dog in sign language instead of training gestures. I taught Sophie the sign for "sit" in a couple hours. I sign it, and she immediately sits and waits for more commands. She really is an awesome little puppy. She can be so laid back and relaxed. That coupled with the fact that she is 13 weeks old and already weighs almost 25 lbs, nakes me forget that she is just a puppy.

interesting was the word I believe.. I know too late for me to put in 2 cents

"interesting"?

Yea that has to be it. I was reading thru the thread and signed myself using both words. 'Interesting" is more likely the sign that was used. Also, it would make more sense to use in respond about the dog.

Good luck with the training of the dog!!! It is not easy but will be worth it for your peace of mind. :)

A hearing dog sounds great in those types of situation. I wish i was'nt afraid of dogs because i would certainly consider one too. I am the biggest chicken when it comes to dogs, no matter how well trained they are...lol

hi

[/SIZE

hi to lillys dad i am a 47 year old female i have a hearing dog named jr whos a yorkie terrier i had him since the year of 2000 he does work wonders for me he alerts me when some ones at the door or the smoke alarm goes off or the phone ringing and alll in all hes a great little guy i love him a lot i,m, sure the dog you train for your daugther willl be good for her i got jr from international hearing dog inc. in colorado they flew him to me and stayed for a week to train with me. they how ever did train him before they bought him to me but they wanted me to learn as well and we been together ever since he was a year and a half when i first got him we really bonded well. with jr i got my life back now and can do things i couldn,t before. i hope all goes well for you good luck your friend sandy

Im all for hearing dogs as I dont expect anyone who is deaf/hoh to wear their CIs, aids, or whatnot 100% of the time. There are times they have to come out. I remember when I had to wear aids I would come home from school and pop them out while I did my homework. But in reality is that if someone was at the door I could not hear it, if the phone rang and I was in the other room, I could not hear it. If the microwave beeped, I could not hear it.

There are times I will be at my aunt's house with the family and I'll be sitting there thumbing through her old People Magazines and I will not have realized that someone has come into the house until someone else elbows me or if they yell. (it is embarrassing but it doesnt happen often).

If I ever move out on my own, I would for sure invest in a hearing dog. For not just my safetly and well being but for my DD's as well.

Back