What did this mean?

Lillys dad

Reaction score
OK, As some know, I am learning sign. I was taking our new puppy (13 week old standard poodle, who is going to be trained as a hearing dog for my daughter) to be dropped off and get groomed, then I had a meeting to go to at work. Anyway, while at a stop light, a car pulled up next to me. I noticed a R.I.T. sticker on it. I also noticed that the driver and passenger were signing back and forth. The passenger saw my puppy, and signed for the driver to look at the dog. He looked over and said "I like your dog".. I signed "thank you". I think he was a little suprised to see me signing. A very brief conversation started in which I signed to him that my daughter is deaf and the dog is going to be a hearing dog for her.
He asked where I was going. I signed that I was going to work as the light turned green.
Please keep in mind, that I have very little actual signing experience. I knwo enough sign to communicate with my daughter, but have a hard time having a conversation with an adult. After I signed that I was going to work, I started to drive away. As I did this, the guy signed something that I do not know what he said.
Using his right hand, it looked like he touched the fingertips of his thumb and middle finger together and pointem towards the middle of his chest whilie keeping his pointer, ring and pinkey fingers straight. He then raised this sign up towards his chin, then out and away about 6 inches from his chin. He had a small smile on his face as he signed this.
I hope I described this sign in a manner that is clear. What doe this mean?

I hope it wasnt. While I do not know what he said. His body language didnt seem offensive. He seemed to be more friendly. Besides, if he was signing someothing like that, that wouldnt make sense. It is quite obvious that, by my sign abitily, that I am hearing, and learning the language. For him to have that type of attitude, it would show that he would be some type of elitist looking down on me. He really didn't come across as that type of person.

I started to drive away. As I did this, the guy signed something that I do not know what he said.
Using his right hand, it looked like he touched the fingertips of his thumb and middle finger together and pointem towards the middle of his chest whilie keeping his pointer, ring and pinkey fingers straight. He then raised this sign up towards his chin, then out and away about 6 inches from his chin. He had a small smile on his face as he signed this.
I hope I described this sign in a manner that is clear. What doe this mean?

hmmm :hmm: sound like he signed " like " .....IF he touched the fingertip of his thumb and his middle finger together and point it toward the middle of his chest and looking like a ring then that the sign for it, but then again you said he raised his sign up towards his chin then out and away about 6 inches from his chin?, now I'm not so sure....It's easier for me to see it then I would know the sign..I'm sorry I tried ...

That could be it. As I said, the conversation took place car to truck. I drive a truck that sits higher than cars. He was in a smaller 2 door mistubishi eclise (or something like that) the angle we were at was a little odd to be signing for me.
Thank you

hmmm :hmm: sound like he signed " like " .....IF he touched the fingertip of his thumb and his middle finger together and point it toward the middle of his chest and looking like a ring then that the sign for it, but then again you said he raised his sign up towards his chin then out and away about 6 inches from his chin?, now I'm not so sure....It's easier for me to see it then I would know the sign..I'm sorry I tried ...
It sounds like "LIKE" to me, too. Maybe he was just signing it higher than normal so he could be more clearly seen thru the car window?

That could be it. As I said, the conversation took place car to truck. I drive a truck that sits higher than cars. He was in a smaller 2 door mistubishi eclise (or something like that) the angle we were at was a little odd to be signing for me.
Thank you
Can you look at the sign "LIKE" on aslpro.com and see if that's it?

????

"White" ??? yet you said the sign stays the same throughout the movement, so it cannot be "white"

it COULD be "like" but why would he move it to his chin?

"Expert" is a possibilty but you do not start that sign on chest so ... hmm....

Thank you
I just checked ASLPRO.com, and they don't have the sign for "LIKE" in the main dictionary! ASL Browser does have the sign "LIKE". Please look at that one, and see if it was the same sign.

"interesting"?
:smacking my head!:

I totally forgot about "INTERESTING"! I'm so used to doing it here with open-to-closed "X" handshapes that I forget about the "8" handshape version.

Just one hand? (Of course, he was driving. :) )

"INTERESTING" would fit the context of the conversation.

Interesting description of ASL... It's total different as German sign language.

Lillys dad, it's cute of you to practise with sign for your daughter and then get a hearing dog for your daughter... I know from your many posts that you are a good father...

Thanks everyone! After looking at the two words in the ASL Browser, Im pretty sure it was Like. As I said, my signing ability is very limited, and it is very obvious. Im thinking that he signed like, in an effort to keep it simple for me.

Liebelling, Thank you. I am a firm believer in giving Lilly options. When she gets old enough to make her own decisions, she will be informed enough with the hearing world, and the deaf world to make her OWN informed, educated decision on how she choses to communicate.
I get some funny looks from both hearing and deaf when it comes to the path my family has chosen. But, when Lilly is old enough to start making sense of all of this, see will clearly see that our family is very supportive of her, and that we have given her every option available. Afterall, a parents responsibilty is to raise a confident, educated, responsible, children. The more options and support a child has, the better the chance of accomplishing this. (getting off topic here) My wife and I examine as every decision we make regarding Lillys deafness from the perspective of "how will this effect Lilly as she gets older. For example. Her CIs, when we had to pick the type of CI, we were given a choice of color for the equipment. You can get it a tan (skin color), black and silver. After thinking this over, we decided to get it in silver. We did this so the equipment will not appear to be camoflauged. We did not want Lilly to see that the wires, ear peices and so on were trying to be hidden. Afterall, her deafness is nothing to be ashamed of, so there is no reason to hide it. While her deafness does not define WHAT she is, it is a part of WHO she is. I dont want Lilly to feel that she has to be ashamed of who she is, for any reason.
Sorry for the digression.

I am thinking it is interesting as well. How you sign “like” and how you sign “interesting” have the same hand movements and shape. But where like is only one hand, interesting uses both hands. The second hand is up in front of your face. If he was signing one handed at this point he probably wanted to indicate that he meant interesting by moving the free hand up to his face. I know one handed signs are confusing when you first see them. I have been around it from time to time and I am just now starting to kind of get the hang of it…. a little bit! LOL This seems like the best fit in your conversation as Reba said, “like” really doesn’t make sense if that is the only sign that was done, Like what?? “Interesting” makes more sense. If you go to aslpro.com and look up “interest” in the video dictionary you will see what we mean. Now if you cover the woman’s face you will see the sign for “like” (since with her face covered you cannot see the second half of the sign). You will see how the two look similar. I think the person in the other car was trying to indicate the difference in the two signs since he was only signing with one hand at this point.

the dog is going to be a hearing dog for her.

Lilly's dad, in what ways does a hearing dog help Lilly? Just curios, i've heard of a hearing dog once before but was'nt too sure how they help.

Back