What Books Have You Recently Purchased?

Wow really??

Yes he made an announcement about getting early onset Alzheimer's.

He wants to raise awareness.

Said he had written two books since diagnosis.

An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers

Please do not laugh. I have reasons why I purchased this book. I'm not that smart or nerdy.

I just finished reading "A Child Sacrificed to the Deaf Culture" by Tom Bertling for my ASL class. Dear God, I beg of you all, don't read it. First off, it's fine to read opposite viewpoints so one can know how to counter them. But this dude writes in such vague sentences, has nothing to back much of anything up. It's written more like a personal reflection journal than anything else.

If he wants his viewpoint to be taken seriously he needs more than just a "references" page. Statistics, studies, and the like should be noted but this guy was horrible to read! He boasts of "rocking the boat" repeatedly and pats himself on the back. Good for him, it's good to sometimes challenge authority so ideals do not suffer. However, he never states specifics. It's always "one residential deaf school". He never states names. I even found a grammatical error!

*sigh* I felt like it was a waste of time and wish I found a better book. Oh well, I'll have more opportunities to go back to my uni's insanely large ASL library soon! :)

In the past 10 weeks I have read:

Wuthering Heights by Bronte
Jane Eyre by Bronte
Great Expectations by Dickens
Woman in White by Collins
Tess of D'Ubervilles by Hardy
Heart of Darkness by Conrad
Dubliners by Joyce
Howards End by Forester
Good Soldier by Ford
To the Lighthouse by Woolf
Mrs. Dalloway by Woolf
Persuasion by Jane Austen
A Fairly Honourable Defeat by Murdoch
Last of the Mohicans by Cooper
Edgar Huntly by someone..
The Interesting Narratives of Oluadah Equiano by Equaino
Hope Leslie
Reuben and Rachel by Rowson

yep, read all those in 10 weeks. Lovely school. I highly recommend AFHD, Jane Eyre, Dubliners, and Howards End.

Besides the pages and pages of junk that I read from my students, I mostly read short stories and memoir pieces, of which I read a few per week, but the novel I'm currently reading is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Good book!

Next will be Talk Talk by TC Boyle. The main character is Deaf. I want to see how good of a job he did representing her.

Besides the pages and pages of junk that I read from my students, I mostly read short stories and memoir pieces, of which I read a few per week, but the novel I'm currently reading is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Good book!

Next will be Talk Talk by TC Boyle. The main character is Deaf. I want to see how good of a job he did representing her.

I read The Lovely Bones when it came out, as my daughter recommended me to read it.

Can you say why you like it? I hated it.

I just finished reading "A Child Sacrificed to the Deaf Culture" by Tom Bertling for my ASL class. Dear God, I beg of you all, don't read it. First off, it's fine to read opposite viewpoints so one can know how to counter them. But this dude writes in such vague sentences, has nothing to back much of anything up. It's written more like a personal reflection journal than anything else.

If he wants his viewpoint to be taken seriously he needs more than just a "references" page. Statistics, studies, and the like should be noted but this guy was horrible to read! He boasts of "rocking the boat" repeatedly and pats himself on the back. Good for him, it's good to sometimes challenge authority so ideals do not suffer. However, he never states specifics. It's always "one residential deaf school". He never states names. I even found a grammatical error!

*sigh* I felt like it was a waste of time and wish I found a better book. Oh well, I'll have more opportunities to go back to my uni's insanely large ASL library soon! :)

Ugh, I've heard of that book. It's supposed to be really bad. One of our famous audist AD members (he makes Koko look like Harlan Lane) actually recommended it as a good "opposing view" source. Just knowing that he held it in such high regard is reason enough for me to :barf:

I read The Lovely Bones when it came out, as my daughter recommended me to read it.

Can you say why you like it? I hated it.

I enjoy the technical writing in it. I think she's doing something very difficult by writing from the POV of a character that is already dead. It could easily be cliched and hokey, but I find it to be quite compelling. As a writer, I just admire the choices Sebold makes. It was very smart of her to reveal the murder and the killer right up, as well as the fact that eventually justice would come. Because the book isn't so much about those details, but about the emotional journey and unraveling of the family.

Certainly not the best book I've read, but I do like it so far. I'm about halfway done. I'll let you know when I'm finished with it if it held my interest the entire way through.

I recently bought Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. I've been collecting her books lately and she is a very good writer. I also bought a bunch of textbooks but those don't count :)

I'm currently reading Into the Wild, one of my favorite books and movies. :) I would love to go hiking in Alaska someday.

The Alchemist

I have recently purchased a book which is called "The Alchemist" that was written by "Paulo Coelho" and I read it within two days. Actually, If I had had enough time, it would have ended less time. The book was an masterpiece. Maybe, it might not be understood for the first reading. Beware, don't abandon it. Because, it contains essential information about life. Best regards.

Fiction:

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
Bel Canto by Ann Panchett
We The Living by Ayn Rand
Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver

Non Fiction:

A Practical Guide to Rhetoric by Grebnier & Reiter
The Call to Write by John Trimbur

I recently purchased a book: True Blood Omnibus by Charlaine Harris

The last books I bought were Midsummer Night's Dream, Dark Lover, Can you Keep a Secret, A Touch of Dead, and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish :)

Juggling four as usual

The Last Algonquin; by TheodoreL Kazimiroff
The Road to Monticello, The Life and Mind of Thomas Jefferson; by Kevin J. Hayes
Gold Placer Deposits in Northeast Alaska(Dalton Highway); by Richard L. Lampright
King of the World; by David Remnick

My favorite vice, going to the used book store and the library and Barnes & Noble every few days in happy glorious wallow in books, books, and more books.

You have the originals? Did I read that right?? If so, you must take a snapshot or two and post them here on this thread.

Do you agree that Cell is the worse novel ever!? You know which of his novel (from way back) I recall most? It's an unheralded one. This one:

n708.jpg

Dude, that is seriously the only stephen king book i can read. the beginning is a little slow, but the rest is awesome.

i haven't been able to buy any books lately, but i do go to my library once a week. i often get the warriors series. its a cat series, in case you didn't know. i also love harry potter, the twilight series, charlie bone, a few of the redwall series, and i recently discovered the enduring flame trilogy. doesn't it suck when the best books of all time are only 3 or 4 to a group? I also love the inheritance cycle, Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and the unkown fourth.

Back