What Books Have You Recently Purchased?

Bought one a few months ago at a Goodwill store for a few bucks.

Einstein: A Life

cover

good book. my dad gave that to me as a bday gift when I was a teen. If you like it - maybe you might like Einstein's Dream (but it can get dry)

n343129.jpg

These recent books are all e-books, by the way. No need to leave home! :)

The books that I recently purchased, as I am creating a path to becoming a CDInterpreter,: So you want to be an Interpreter by Janice H. Humphrey & Bob J. Alcorn, Signing Naturally Student Workbook and a Journey into the Deaf-World by Harlan Lane, et al.

Probably my all time favorite so far is "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh. It is very well written, engaging and see how history unfold about a person who becomes the first person to prove that Fermat Theorem is true. I read it through twice already. There's even a NOVA show on this as well.
fermats.jpg

Probably my all time favorite so far is "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh. It is very well written, engaging and see how history unfold about a person who becomes the first person to prove that Fermat Theorem is true. I read it through twice already. There's even a NOVA show on this as well.
fermats.jpg

then you might enjoy The Code Book (same author) - could be dry. The book you just read is good for those with little knowledge in mathematics and it elaborates a little too much on Pythagorean Theorem rather than Fermat's last theorem. This book is more of "drama" book rather than "mathematical" book. The question still remains - did Fermat solve it or not?

The last book I bought was the fifth book of The Wheel Of Time series. My copy got "borrowed".

Dead in the Family By Charlaine Harris

I've been reading Sookie Stackhouse books series (True Blood TV show) and it's sooo good.... Dead in the Family is the newest one out :)

Dead in the Family By Charlaine Harris

I've been reading Sookie Stackhouse books series (True Blood TV show) and it's sooo good.... Dead in the Family is the newest one out :)

They are so good! I read them all, even the short stories! I can't wait for the next one! The show is awesome as well! :)

I just bought a new booked called Son of Hamas based on a high recommendation from my good friend.

I am an apprentice at Central Washington University this summer, so I have had to read up on everything possible so that I can do my research on the signing chimps correctly. I had to purchase 6 books total. All great so far!

1. Next of Kin by Roger Fouts

2. Teaching ASL to Chimpanzees by Allen and Beatrix Gardner

3. Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence by Richard Wrangham

4. The Great Ape Project: Equality Beyond Humanity by Paola Cavalieri

5. Significant Others: The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature by Greg B. Stanford

6. Eating Apes by Dale Peterson

If you want to know all the facts about Project Washoe, this are great books to check out!

I am an apprentice at Central Washington University this summer, so I have had to read up on everything possible so that I can do my research on the signing chimps correctly. I had to purchase 6 books total. All great so far!

1. Next of Kin by Roger Fouts

2. Teaching ASL to Chimpanzees by Allen and Beatrix Gardner

3. Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence by Richard Wrangham

4. The Great Ape Project: Equality Beyond Humanity by Paola Cavalieri

5. Significant Others: The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature by Greg B. Stanford

6. Eating Apes by Dale Peterson

If you want to know all the facts about Project Washoe, this are great books to check out!

Eating Apes? What in the world is that about?

Eating Apes? What in the world is that about?

from amazon -

This articulate study maintains that the increasing human consumption of apes and other primates in Central and Western Africa poses a serious threat to biodiversity, public health and sustainable development, as well as raising a considerable moral question: is it right to eat animals who share between 96% and 99% of our DNA? It's worth noting that Peterson, who has written extensively on primates, is neither a simple conservationist nor an animal rights advocate. "People hunt and eat wild animals for protein all over the globe," he acknowledges. "So there is nothing special about the fact that people living in and near forests of West and Central Africa happen to eat wild animal meat." Peterson (Storyville, USA) is sincerely curious about all aspects of "ape-eating," interviewing hunters, butchers and consumers to learn about hunting, transporting and slaughtering techniques, as well as preparation and taste. Readers learn, for example, how to make a good gorilla plantain and that "[g]orilla meat is sweet, very sweet." This information is presented with compelling evidence indicating that some human blood viruses, including HIV-1, were likely caused by ape blood coming into human contact; that the tropical logging industry, feeding Asian and European demand, is directly responsible for the tremendous increase in demand for bushmeat and the destruction of primates' natural habitat; and that apes are drawing closer to extinction. Peterson is never shrill, and rarely does his tone become emotional; he does not overwhelm readers with evidence, yet his evidence is extensive. Ammann's chilling photographs (e.g., "Gorilla head in a kitchen") contribute vastly to this equally distressing and thought-provoking survey.

It is said that this is how AIDS appear in human population. Chimpanzee is immune to AIDS but humans are not.

from amazon -

It is said that this is how AIDS appear in human population. Chimpanzee is immune to AIDS but humans are not.

Wow! How have I not heard about this? I get the willies from just looking a Chimp in the eye at the zoo. There is awareness there I tell you.

AAAAAkTZ4boAAAAAAIPcYg.jpg

Not only a book , but with flash cards. Learn American Sign Language, by Arlene Rice.

Hopefully to be a lot of fun when I spend time with my granddaughters. :)

from amazon -

AIDS in chimps is just a theory. Not a fact. A lot of people believe it, but I don't. They can become infected kind of like wild rabies, and that can hurt us if we are bitten, but we can't get AIDs from being bite by them unless we already have AIDS as a recessive gene chilling waiting to be activated.

The book is about human's killing off chimpanzees. There use to be thousands in the world and we are down to just hundreds due to humans killing their homes or killing them for money.

Back