What are your experiences with using interpreters like?

praxis

Reaction score
1. What do you see as the interpreter's role?
2. What is your Ideal interpreter like?
3. How are the interpreters you have used different than your ideal interpreter?
4. Do you care about the gender of your interpreter? When?
5. What kind of attitude should an interpreter have?
6. How do you get interpreters??
7. How often do you use interpreters?
8. Are you happy with the interpreters you have used? Why or why not?
9. What advice do you have for future interpreters?

I see the interpreter's role as a facilitator of communication -- someone who interprets without interjecting their own personal bias or opinions.

My ideal interpreter is someone who asks me how he/she can make the interpreting experience a better one. They are also willing to accept suggestions/criticisms when given.

3. How are the interpreters you have used different than your ideal interpreter?

Fortunately, all of the tactile terps I have worked with have fit very close to my definition of an ideal interpreter.

Yes -- only when going to doctor appointments.

They should always act in a professional manner, be respectful of the Deaf and deafblind community and be willing to accept suggestions/criticism when offered.

We have a local interpreter agency that is called when a d/Deaf, HoH or deafblind person needs a terp. If a terp isn't available at the agency, requests are made through an out-of-state agency.

Now that I have CIs, I only use tactile terps when background noise is an issue. Prior to receiving my CIs, I used tactile terps several times/week.

Yes, I've been very pleased with the terps I have used. All of them have been considerate of my needs making sure I could understand their signing (for example, explaining signs that I may confuse tactually or altering the way a particular sign is made so that I can recognize it tactually.). They've also shown a high degree of professionalism -- not once have I been embarrassed by the actions of a tactile terp.

I would recommend that terps familiarize themselves with the Deaf and deafblind communities and always be open minded to the suggestions/criticisms your clients give you.
i

Facilitator of communication between two languages, but also a bridge between two cultures depending on the situation.

My ideal interpreter is understanding of my specific communication preferences and needs, they are willing to accept feedback, they are understanding of Deaf culture, they have strong signing and voicing skills, and they are willing to work WITH me not FOR me - depending on the situation.

I have worked with a few that are not very adaptive to my specific communication needs. I just don't use them anymore because of it, not to say they are bad interpreters but they just weren't right for me.

I tend to prefer female interpreters. I think part of it is the way they sign, the style tends to be different and a bit smoother. I have had some male terps that fine, and some female terps that are more choppy and agressive in their signing but in general females are easier for me understand. I also will only use female interpreters for Dr appointments. I am more flexible for school but of the 50 or so interpreters that are used in the University only 8 are male so mine are mostly female anyway.

I think interpreters should be friendly and open to feedback. Outgoing is an asset, shy interpreters don't work to well in my experience. Some what agressive is good too, in the sense that they will stop the speaker and ask for clarification if needed, and will do anything to ensure the client can understand (provided the client is trying to understand and wants to understand)

Sometimes I book the ones I know and like myself, directly contacting them. For school I have done that, but a lot of the time my access advisor or an interpreter coordinator books them for me.

Close to everyday. At least 5 times a week.

I am happy with most of them. If I am not it is because they couldn't adapt to what I require from an interpreter, which changes depending on the situation. Sometimes I like sim-com (mouthing and signing - prefer this for education settings) and some interpreters struggle with this.

Take feedback and be willing to grow and work with the client.

Jenny

Back