What are you thinking about? Part VIII

Thinking a little negative at the moment. A lot going on in the family. Also, going through my address book to write out Christmas cards. So many people have died, moved far away or I just don't vibe with any longer. Sad, but since I lost my hearing, I lost a few friends along the way.

So many large get together's, another one this Saturday. People, meaning my extended family mostly, totally forget that I am deaf and are getting ticked off at me for not being able to follow along....it is so LOUD with all of them around. Got a few negative comments from a family member about me not answering my phone when they call. I told them I do not wear my CI's while I am sleeping. This get together I'm thinking of wearing a name tag that says "remember I'm deaf". If they don't want to talk to me than fine.

:wave:...feel all of us "late deafers" have and still having that problem!...no telling the times I've had to repeat and repeat..."I'm deaf, remember?"...and they answer..."Oh, I forgot you were deaf!"....Texting is a good idea...and I usually keep in touch via FB...I've no concrete solution to "the problem" Angel....

Angel, see if you can have family members (when you are all gathered together) text with you....I am sure, with texting, they could gain a new perspective of you, a side they won't otherwise see....hope you can text fast! :lol:

Thinking a little negative at the moment. A lot going on in the family. Also, going through my address book to write out Christmas cards. So many people have died, moved far away or I just don't vibe with any longer. Sad, but since I lost my hearing, I lost a few friends along the way.

So many large get together's, another one this Saturday. People, meaning my extended family mostly, totally forget that I am deaf and are getting ticked off at me for not being able to follow along....it is so LOUD with all of them around. Got a few negative comments from a family member about me not answering my phone when they call. I told them I do not wear my CI's while I am sleeping. This get together I'm thinking of wearing a name tag that says "remember I'm deaf". If they don't want to talk to me than fine.

If any of your family members wear eyeglasses you could ask them they were their while sleeping. I met an guy in his 80's at the park he lost some hearing later in life . I asked him how his Thanksgiving was and the poor guy said it horrible , there 8-10 people at the table he said and he
was left out b/c he couldn't hear to take part in the conversation .
This has happen to me too, I really don't think hearing people will
never 'get it' what is like being hoh or deaf. You could print that on a tshirt in bold letters ! I want this t shirt ! LOL!

Not just limited to late deafened.... I grew up oral deaf and have the same problems. Wouldn't surprise me if ALL deaf had the same issues in families or groups of friends where they do not know sign language or the deaf person can get along very well anyway.

I'd print a shirt but I sure as hell wouldn't put a curse word in there.. I'm not that rude.

Not just limited to late deafened.... I grew up oral deaf and have the same problems. Wouldn't surprise me if ALL deaf had the same issues in families or groups of friends where they do not know sign language or the deaf person can get along very well anyway.

I'd print a shirt but I sure as hell wouldn't put a curse word in there.. I'm not that rude.

;)

:lol:

Just funning around with you :)

You are right, Ducky, there's no possible way we deaf, or hoh folks can follow a conversation when multiple people are talking around a table or seating arrangement. The conversation speed is way too fast, changing often. It would be impractical to ask each person to stop and text the deaf person as the convo is flowing, as Tousi suggested.

I get exhausted in group settings, as I tend to strain to follow. I guess the best solution is sit next to someone who can clue you in as to the subject that they are speaking about now, which helps sometimes and sometimes the subject has changed as you are clued in to the last conversation. I really can't think of many solutions, sit there and keep smiling, reminding all that you aren't following. Maybe someone will clue you in every so often.

Last edited:
Thinking how old I am to have learned corned beef hash is not just some heavenly concoction that was born in a can.

We went to a local diner today, and I chose it for my meal. Much to my dismay, it was giant chunks of leather like meat , coarsely diced potatoes, sort of burned and dried out.

I like to support local businesses, but that was just plain weird.

Last edited:
Thinking how old I am to have learned corned beef has is not just some heavenly concoction that was born in a can.

We went to a local diner today, and I chose it for my meal. Much to my dismay, it was giant chunks of leather like meat , coarsely diced potatoes,mane sort of burned and dried out.

I like to support local businesses, but that was just plain weird.

Botti, somebody stole your "h".....:giggle:

my dad knows how to get you some good corn beef, Botti!

sorry your meal was yucky....

Thinking it's going to be long month....

Yes.. I've been seeing a lot of Amazon, Target, Nordstrom volumes in my facility. :)

I've been doing my share to keep you busy. (Thanks to on-line shopping.) :lol:

Thinking that 3-6pm was a great time to go Christmas shopping. Hubby took a few hours off work, went out for dinner and shopped. Mall was pretty empty at that time.

We were not able to get our tree...raining hard all day. Hopefully tomorrow.....anyone want to come decorate it for me?

Yes.. I've been seeing a lot of Amazon, Target, Nordstrom volumes in my facility. :)

Hey Calvin, UPS has been making three different deliveries to my house on the same day. Get an early A.M., noon and evening. I don't remember this happening last year. I've done a lot of online shopping this year...so easy.:giggle:

Back