What are you doing right now? Part II

Not sleeping in :(

The heat vent is right over my face in bed. It's one of the few vents in the house that has good flow. The slats won't close, so I taped over it. The tape finally came loose and it started hitting me again. Now retaped. They secured the vents into the drywall, so not sure I went to take it apart - might not stay in again or take out a flake around the hole.

Not sleeping in :(

The heat vent is right over my face in bed. It's one of the few vents in the house that has good flow. The slats won't close, so I taped over it. The tape finally came loose and it started hitting me again. Now retaped. They secured the vents into the drywall, so not sure I went to take it apart - might not stay in again or take out a flake around the hole.

Have you thought about vent deflector that may help move the air away and not bother you while you sleep? Similar to this:

59aa12a3e745062dede7982620956389.jpg

Or magnetic vent cover:

magnetic-vent-cover-0.jpg

I have the deflector like in Calvin's first illustration as I don't want to close off for the room just redirect it. It has been up there around 30 years.

Another thought is can you rearrange things so the vent is not right over the bed?

Another thought is can you rearrange things so the vent is not right over the bed?

Some bedrooms are small, rearrange things may not be the option as you'd still feel the air from the vent. Some vent are near the wall, some in center of the room depending how it is placed. Magnetic cove is more convenient way... you can always take it off if you need a/c or heater on some days.

Oooh, I like the magnetic one. I like it cool, so would rather block it all together. *checks amazon!!* Thanks!

While I understand you wouldn't want air blowing in your face, I sure wouldn't like it.

Keep in mind that if you close off a vent, it can make your furnace work harder and cost more money to use.

When I was doing research in finding out how to lower my bill, I came across a few articles that say it might be better to leave the whole house open instead of closing doors and vents.

I have the deflector like in Calvin's first illustration as I don't want to close off for the room just redirect it. It has been up there around 30 years.

Yeah, I might have to switch, I got the vent to close. I'll need to find one like that where it clips in.

Some bedrooms are small, rearrange things may not be the option as you'd still feel the air from the vent. Some vent are near the wall, some in center of the room depending how it is placed. Magnetic cove is more convenient way... you can always take it off if you need a/c or heater on some days.
I managed to get the vent closed. I tried the magnet, but it was way too weak. Probably great on the floor, but the one I got couldn't support it's weight on just the outer edges and a few grates. :(

While I understand you wouldn't want air blowing in your face, I sure wouldn't like it.

Keep in mind that if you close off a vent, it can make your furnace work harder and cost more money to use.

When I was doing research in finding out how to lower my bill, I came across a few articles that say it might be better to leave the whole house open instead of closing doors and vents.
I've thought about moving things. I might be able to move it more towards the center, but unfortunately the way the room is, If I try to go to the other side, it could block the bathroom and exit.

On the plus side, there's no thermostat upstairs. The electric bill isn't too bad - I like things cool and NC doesn't really get too bad, too often.

Yeah, I might have to switch, I got the vent to close. I'll need to find one like that where it clips in.

The one I have does not clip on; it is magnets that cling to the edge of the vent.

I managed to get the vent closed. I tried the magnet, but it was way too weak. Probably great on the floor, but the one I got couldn't support it's weight on just the outer edges and a few grates. :(

What I did one time when I had a room that would get too hot during winter and too cold during summer. (Backward I know! Weird huh?) LOL
I got some strong magnets from Home Depot and got a small towel and placed 4 magnets on ends holding the towel. That would still allow air to blow but not direct on your face...

I am enjoying the indoors while it’s raining outside.

Back