What are some of the disadvantages of being deaf?

Time for a threadstopper.

I shit only at home because I am not comfortable making any sorts of noises in public.

I shit only at home because I am not comfortable making any sorts of noises in public.

I shit only away from home because it's harder to nail the maid after she has cleaned the toilet.

There....that should keep me from getting elected.

What sort of focused listening program do you use?

Cochlear America - Sounds and Way Beyond™
#1 program for me now, has everything organized from tones discrimination to female/male voices to music to previews (list of words and sounds you'll hear before you practice or take a test) to showing the correct answers to the mistakes you made to taking quizzes/tests to results and charts.

what is a normal conversation?

... Okay... fine! In your case (and considerably mine's because having people to repeat what they say is annoying sometimes), ... you know. :P

Interesting. The downside with my deafness is that I fart LOUDLY in public. Some people will perhaps find it disturbing during important meetings, dunno.

This is a question that doesn't even need to be asked.

don%27t+feed+the+troll.jpg

Social Model of Disability

As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.

But, is that so much the result of a disadvantage of deafness, or an obstacle created by the hearing?

No obstacles... that would be mean! It's most likely normal and that one haven't got enough experience or practice to engage in a normal conservation. It's not like the hearies are making special adjustments just so one can't hear them or something.

I was thinking of the social model of disability where I am impaired by my hearing loss, but I am disabled by the behaviour of people around me.

The reality is that if I had normal hearing I would be able to join in the group conversation without anybody making any adjustments to their own behaviour, so my hearing loss impairs me from doing this.

However, despite being my hearing being impaired, I could still participate if people make small changes to their behaviour. For example I will ask to people with quiet voices to speak louder. But more often than not, they usually persist in talking at their low volume as that's what they're used to doing. Then they have disabled me from participating by their audist behaviour. The sad fact is that people do do this to me and I am stopped from participating. It's also sad that the other hearies didn't intervene and insist that the quiet person speak up. Rather as they could hear, I'm left fighting a one man battle and it stops being a group conversation.

And this leads me full circle to my first point, if I had normal hearing I wouldn't be excluded. So if you want to participate in the hearing world, it is a disadvantage to be deaf. Fact. But it's the hearing world that has disabled me. Fact.

Final observation: If I was in the Deaf community, then this would be no longer a disadvantage.

I was thinking of the social model of disability where I am impaired by my hearing loss, but I am disabled by the behaviour of people around me.

The reality is that if I had normal hearing I would be able to join in the group conversation without anybody making any adjustments to their own behaviour, so my hearing loss impairs me from doing this.

However, despite being my hearing being impaired, I could still participate if people make small changes to their behaviour. For example I will ask to people with quiet voices to speak louder. But more often than not, they usually persist in talking at their low volume as that's what they're used to doing. Then they have disabled me from participating by their audist behaviour. The sad fact is that people do do this to me and I am stopped from participating. It's also sad that the other hearies didn't intervene and insist that the quiet person speak up. Rather as they could hear, I'm left fighting a one man battle and it stops being a group conversation.

And this leads me full circle to my first point, if I had normal hearing I wouldn't be excluded. So if you want to participate in the hearing world, it is a disadvantage to be deaf. Fact. But it's the hearing world that has disabled me. Fact.

Final observation: If I was in the Deaf community, then this would be no longer a disadvantage.

agree on most parts, even wholeheartly in theoritical AND principles AND as life's facts in the italicised first parts...but i would have to disagree on the bold last aspect, nice thoughts but thats not even close to reality...

Not able to use the voice phone and no efficent communication skills with hearing customers and co workers in a communication heavy environment.
Yeah. I get that a lot when I apply for jobs. Their job requirement involves phone calls. Yes, I could use the relay service... but not everyone has the patience to take relay calls.
^^ a few good examples. Ive encountered horrible difficulty with people being unwilling to cooperate with me deaf. Most hearing people dont have an outlook like deaf/hoh do.

Went to local college, teachers wouldnt cooperate..FAIL
Yeah. That's one reason why I miss Rochester. The people there had a lot of patience and were understanding because they had a deaf community.
Dealing with people who think they're superior and smarter than you are because of your deafness. I'd mention those oral deaf who make fun of the ASL deaf and think they're better than those who use sign. I can think of at least one but I won't mention his name. :P
I've had some people do that to me. When I start talking about something related what they were talking about, they will then start talking like I don't know what I'm talking about. :roll:
As an oral deafie: not being able to participate in the group conversations of hearies. It's made much worse by the hearies being unwilling to make small changes that would allow me to join in.
I went to an all-day meeting at work once. It was difficult to get a word out because everyone responds to questions or comments quickly and I can't jump in because of how behind the interpreter gets. :(

Having to put up with the preconceived stereotype among some that all deaf people wants or needs to be signed to.

Having to put up with people that wants to impose this "Deaf" identity on you that they think should apply to all deaf people.

Having to put up with the perception among the Deaf that if you "are not Deaf enough", you're looking down on the Deaf.

That if you actually want to perhaps "maybe just hear a little better", you'll put up with getting some "Oh my gosh, you must then be feeling terrible about yourself..." quirks from some of the others...

agree on most parts, even wholeheartly in theoritical AND principles AND as life's facts in the italicised first parts...but i would have to disagree on the bold last aspect, nice thoughts but thats not even close to reality...

I should have expanded my final comment but was in a hurry. I was approaching this from the human need to have friends and belong to "a tribe". If I was able to sign, then my hearing impairment makes no difference to my ability to interact with other Deaf people in a group setting.

Obviously we cannot be friends with everyone, and there are other barriers to belonging to a group such as shared interests, etc. But I have been in groups and with friends where the only thing stopping me from "belonging" was my hearing impairment and their inability to accommodate it.

I hope this makes my final comment clearer. Sorry for any confusion.

Obviously we cannot be friends with everyone, and there are other barriers to belonging to a group such as shared interests, etc. But I have been in groups and with friends where the only thing stopping me from "belonging" was my hearing impairment and their inability to accommodate it.
I got news for you, you'd still have to put up with being "not Deaf enough" if you were to go in the other direction, that is the "more Deaf route".

I got news for you, you'd still have to put up with being "not Deaf enough" if you were to go in the other direction, that is the "more Deaf route".

:( It appears that you've been hurt by some insensitive comments. It's always an awful feeling when people reject you, or don't respect the way live your life or the way you decided to handle your hearing loss. I've not had anybody say those things to me, and would be sorely disappointed if somebody did say those things to me. But my belief is that just as there are morons in all sections of society, there are also wonderful caring folks as well. And that applies to AllDeaf as well. In reading some of the threads on AD, I've been rather shocked by some of the harsh comments made. But I've also read kind & supportive comments as well. I hope this is one of the latter :)

Back