What’s your opinion on corrective surgery?

doggovert

Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Ala, and I’m new to the forum. I’m HOH from advanced otosclerosis and deaf without my hearing aids.

Background to my question: I’m nearing 21 years of age, which is the expected age for a stapes fixation corrective surgery I’ve been planning on since I was very young. The thing is, I’m a bit scared to find out what my life will be like after I regain my hearing. I’ve built a large part of my life around hearing aids, service dogs, and accommodations, so I’m afraid of change. (A big concern for me is sleep. Will it be like sleeping with hearing aids on?) I’m beginning to doubt if I’m even doing this for me, or for those around me.
So, what’s your opinion on corrective surgery? Am I selfish to think of opting out?

Thanks,
Ala

Hey... and welcome!!!!

what you feel is all up to you, personally, you should just love yourself just the way you are. I, for the longest time, wanted to correct my nose since I have a hump on my nose and was made fun of throughout the school years. And still wished that I had it fixed over getting a blue hearing aid. My old was worked better. I think my nose is fine now that I am much older and wiser. I have worn hearing aids all my life, born deaf, now HOH, wished that I was still deaf, still deaf without my hearing aids, just not as deaf when I was born.

If you feel you need to opt out, that should tell you something. Perhaps you are not ready because if you were, you wouldn't be asking us. :)

Hope this helps

It's normal to feel scared about something unknown. It's not the same but felt the same way with at least the strabismus surgery I had... in my 30s. Worried that it would fail and the eyeballs would go right back to before (they haven't- 24 years and counting).

The fact you've been planning for it since you were young says something also. As for what it'd be like sleeping...I have no idea but one idea is to invest in earplugs to aid getting used to sounds at night too... and no you aren't selfish for considering opting out. Your ears, your life :).

(Wonders why Beo is asking for LoveBlue....)

I

Also wondering as this is not the same surgery that LoveBlue has had.

I also think that our OP is looking for response from some that have had the same surgery (s)he is considering. That makes good sense to me. Someone that has had it done knows much more than any of the rest of us do.

Last edited:
Several family members have had the surgery they had some discomfort for a couple weeks but in the end they loved the outcome. Have the surgery!

Also wondering as this is not the same surgery that LoveBlue has had.

I also think that our OP is looking for response from some that have had the same surgery (s)he is considering. That makes good sense to me. Someone that has had it done knows much more than any of the rest of us do.

Maybe but we all can answer to the last question of "am I selfish to want to NOT do the surgery?". A varied view and responses still helps the person.

Normal to be afraid of change, so rest assured this will not change- you will continue to fear change. It will be confusing for awhile, just as new hearing aides are. Your mind will catch up after awhile and let you sleep without problems. Consider this: we all fear change, even good changes, and we forget there will be many many happy surprises.

It's normal to feel scared about something unknown. It's not the same but felt the same way with at least the strabismus surgery I had... in my 30s. Worried that it would fail and the eyeballs would go right back to before (they haven't- 24 years and counting).

The fact you've been planning for it since you were young says something also. As for what it'd be like sleeping...I have no idea but one idea is to invest in earplugs to aid getting used to sounds at night too... and no you aren't selfish for considering opting out. Your ears, your life :).

Back