We're back!!

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
So took a year 'off' from the boards due to time constraints but we're back!! Adam was legally adopted on 09/17 so it's been nearly a year-- it's hard to believe it's been that long-- he's 2.5 now and learning to sign more (although we get in trouble at school for it :) :) ) and he's talking up a storm!!! (now that he's 'legally mine' I can post as many pics of his sweet face as I want!!! YAY!!!

I'm back and ready to learn more to help him and to be 'around' other parents and folks who understand what we go thru daily!!

He's getting ready to have a HUGE two day appointment out of town to determine the real level of hearing he's got-- as he had some VERY VERY strange test results for a while-- so I'm looking forward to getting him leveled out!!

Hope everyone has had a good year, looking forward to catching up and meeting the new people I didn't know before!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Shonda... AKA-- Adam's Momma

Welcome back! Congrats!

Question..what do you mean you got into trouble with the school for Adamn using sign language?

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to jump on the OP for that part...welcome back for sure! :) But wondering same as Shel..why would adam's school give you trouble for using ASL with Adam?

Thanks Shel!!! :)

He goes to an 'oral only' school right now and his SLT caught him signing "more" one day-- and ripped the teacher a new one-- b/c they're not allowed to teach them signs... I was reminded of that by the director, so I had to email them and tell them basically to get over it that he signs w/me to make distinctions in his communication-- (momma and more sounded alike and I thought he wanted mommy but he wanted more to eat, etc :Oops:...) for a while they wouldn't 'let' him sign but after a couple more NICE emails and 'talks' from me- they're more relaxed about it w/him...(not comfortable with it or encourage it, but I don't get reports on it anymore) he talks CONSTANTLY and uses sign to help make his points-- especially if his words aren't clear... I love it b/c it helps me communicate w/him better at home...

It's stupid if you ask me... but their retort is... "Most of our funding comes from 'oral only' groups and we could loose funding if someone comes thru and sees the kids signing..." :roll::roll:

Last edited:
Thanks Shel!!! :)

He goes to an 'oral only' school right now and his SLT caught him signing "more" one day-- and ripped the teacher a new one-- b/c they're not allowed to teach them signs... I was reminded of that by the director, so I had to email them and tell them basically to get over it that he signs w/me to make distinctions in his communication-- (momma and more sounded alike and I thought he wanted mommy but he wanted more to eat, etc :Oops:...) for a while they wouldn't 'let' him sign but after a couple more NICE emails and 'talks' from me- they're more relaxed about it w/him...(not comfortable with it or encourage it, but I don't get reports on it anymore) he talks CONSTANTLY and uses sign to help make his points-- especially if his words aren't clear... I love it b/c it helps me communicate w/him better at home...

It's stupid if you ask me... but their retort is... "Most of our funding comes from 'oral only' groups and we could loose funding if someone comes thru and sees the kids signing..." :roll::roll:

YUCK! I would simply say "He is my child and we will communicate in whatever way we see fit" and end the discussion. I am sorry you are having this issue, we have been to 3 oral schools and never encountered it (in fact all the schools had professionals who understood sign and counted ASL in her language testing). I think this attitude is starting to change, I'm sorry your school is "behind".

That's a shame. I will not make this thread about a rant against the oral-only philosophy but I gotta say..it is a big shame.

Good luck with everything. :)

That's a shame. I will not make this thread about a rant against the oral-only philosophy but I gotta say..it is a big shame.

Good luck with everything. :)

I'm looking for a place to do just that!!! It does irk me beyond belief... we just keep doing what we do and they will accept it or I'll w/draw him-- only there isn't a TC school around... if the booger wasn't so visual LOL

:welcome: back to AllDeaf forum. Congratulation for finally adopt Adam. Yuck, oral only school. I hate that. It was the same with mine when I was a kid in elementary and high school. I really hate that. I need sign language in the schools. I really do hope the oral only schools would change their attitudes and add sign language or ASL so it would be easy to understand than lipreading. Lipreading and also trying to speak is not 100% accurate. Sign language like ASL really do help us understand better. The oral school does not get it that we are deaf (meaning can not hear sounds very well). Don't they get it? We are not hearing children. For Christ's sake! :roll:

Welcome back! Congratulations , you will have a lot of fun with your new son.

Thanks guys!!! Appreciate the welcome back and the congrats on my monkey!!! Gosh there's a lot to catch up on!!! :)

:wave::D congrats! welcome back too!

and I do agree with Shel, faire and Bebonang and folks on the ASL.

but again, good to see you on and am happy for you, Adamsmomma!

Back