well it finally happened

My doctor told me that the hospital has asked him not to do any more bi lateral surgeries. We are going to have one ear done then schedule the next surgery for a few months later.

I think it comes down to the mighty dollar. why would the hospital want to get paid for one surgery when they can get paid for two?
What did the doctor say was the reason when you asked him?

Just got my surgery date which will be May 19th
Is that a good date for you?

:wave:Welcome to the hearing loss club mate, Where all the cool people hang out! Here's to wishing you the best man. I am late deafend also. It's not an easy adjustment for anyone to deal with.

Yeah , I agree with you , I had a few clients that lost their hearing and they had a very time adjusting to have to wear a HA. And some clients end not wearing their HA at all! It drove their family nut!
I hope it work out for you too.

Why not get bilaterally implanted in one fell swoop then? I mean if hearing aids offer NO benifit, you could save insurance a few bucks by doing it in one fell swoop!

It's a pretty lengthly procedure, DD. Some Dr's may prefer to do sequential, rather than, simultaneous implantation.

It's a pretty lengthly procedure, DD. Some Dr's may prefer to do sequential, rather than, simultaneous implantation.

Aother good reason, each implant takes about 2-3 hours. I rather have them do one at a time since they are not tired for the 2nd implant on the same day. Surgery is not as easy as it seems, its very long process and a lot is going on for implant surgery.
I also agree with the post a few posts up, you may not even like it.

Here's the surgery, viewer's description advise
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ltzA0B2X8]YouTube - Cochlear Implant Surgery Part 1 (without sound)[/ame]

Reba,
I was told that I would be a good candidate in either ear. I asked about getting them at the same time to save me a surgery. His answer was what I wrote above. He did not go into detail as far as the hospitals reason for not doing Bi lateral surgeries any more. I plan on scheduling the second surgery for a few months later. He is very familiar with me as he has already operated on me a few times.

The date is a good one. He is booked with surgeries through the end of March. My wife is going to be out of state for a little while mid April plus something else going on in April we can't change. The date we have should work well. Just waiting till then will drive me nuts

Reba,
I was told that I would be a good candidate in either ear. I asked about getting them at the same time to save me a surgery. His answer was what I wrote above. He did not go into detail as far as the hospitals reason for not doing Bi lateral surgeries any more. I plan on scheduling the second surgery for a few months later. He is very familiar with me as he has already operated on me a few times.

The date is a good one. He is booked with surgeries through the end of March. My wife is going to be out of state for a little while mid April plus something else going on in April we can't change. The date we have should work well. Just waiting till then will drive me nuts
Hang in there. I hope the waiting time goes quickly for you. :)

Angle1989: One is "out" about 6 to 8 hours for Cochlear Implant operation. As I recall from mine went to the operating room around 1.00pm woke up around 8.00pm. I was not in much pain. This happened Sunnybrook/Toronto July 12, 2007.
I went home the next morning.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I was with a friend who had CI surgery. The surgery started in the morning, was finished in the afternoon, recovery room for a couple of hours, then home that same evening.

Just goes to show you that a lot of research is needed before the CI surgery. CI websites make it sound so simple. Come in, we will fix you and go home. Not so apparently. I definitely need to do more research.

Just goes to show you that a lot of research is needed before the CI surgery. CI websites make it sound so simple. Come in, we will fix you and go home. Not so apparently. I definitely need to do more research.

Yes, definitely not so easy. Plus, seem to me that you take risk that will not work but too late to get 'cochlea' back after surgery.

Back