well it finally happened

Adam

Reaction score
hey everybody,
the last couple of months ive noticed a drop in my hearing. My ha's have pretty much outlived thier usefullness so I was going to order a new pair in January. I have to have a current audiogram so I went in on Monday to get it taken care of. Come to find out my hearing dropped quite a bit. My left ear had no residual hearing so that obviously was the same. My right (good) ear has been around the severe range for the last few years. It dropped to profound level around 90Db across the board. I ended up having to go see my ENT that afternoon. I am going back next wednesday to get another hearing test and I have an appointment to get a CI evaluation in January. Never a dull moment

Adam

Sorry to hear about the hearing problems, I hope that the CI works for you :)

You are correct it is a major step when one has to consider getting a Cochlear Implant. Good luck in your future journey.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I'm very sorry. I hope your surgery goes well and that your CI helps you :)

I am deaf in my left ear. I wear TransEar aids to hear in my right ear. I am moderately hearing impaired in my right ear. It has gotten progressively worse since I was a child. I've been told I will need a CI one day as well :/

:wave:Welcome to the hearing loss club mate, Where all the cool people hang out! Here's to wishing you the best man. I am late deafend also. It's not an easy adjustment for anyone to deal with.

Thanks Deaffy,
actually went to my ENT last week and he said I wasnot a candidate right now because my SRT score was 48%.
They are going to do the CI evaluation January 19th anyway. we will see what happens.
how did you lose your hearing? when?
Adam

Adam,

I lost my hearing about 10 years ago. I originally was born with my left ear being deaf but my right ear functioned as normal till I reached the age of 23. I woke up one morning and I began to hear ( echoing) throughout the course of hte day it progressivly got worse till I no longer could hear anymore. The doctor's do not know what caused my right ear to finally give out. During my CI surgery my surgeon noted that there was nothing wrong with the anatomy of my inner ear. So really no idea why I am Deaf, I just am.

Best of luck to you on your appointment! I'm 60% hearing loss in my left and no hearing in my right. I stopped wearing a hearing aid when I was a junior in high school and now 9 yrs later here I am again, lovin it and they've definitely changed (HA) since 94 lol

I had the CI evaluation this week. It turns out that I easily qualified for the CI. We were going to try a hearing aid first but I won't get any benefit from hearing aids after all. Rgiht now we are in the process of getting the insurance stuff figured out and deciding which implant company to go with.

t turns out that I easily qualified for the CI. We were going to try a hearing aid first but I won't get any benefit from hearing aids after all
. I was going to say, I thought they set the SRT for adults at 60%. Are you going to get your deaf ear implanted and then maybe try bimodal? (hearing aid in the other ear?)

As far as i know the FDA regulations have it set at around 50% or below. I think a lot depends on the surgeon. mine told me that each person is different and he might implant one person who is at 45% then tell somebody else that it would have to be lower. They don't just look at the numbers in deciding who would be a good candidate.
They are going to implant the "good" ear but he did say that he would also implant the dead ear down the road if i wanted to as the hearing nerve is intact.
That actually was going to be the plan. one ear was going to be implanted and I was going to use a hearing aid in the other ear. It was determined that I would not benefit from hearing aids in either ear.

Are you using MUSC for your surgery?

They are going to implant the "good" ear but he did say that he would also implant the dead ear down the road if i wanted to as the hearing nerve is intact.
That actually was going to be the plan. one ear was going to be implanted and I was going to use a hearing aid in the other ear. It was determined that I would not benefit from hearing aids in either ear
Why not get bilaterally implanted in one fell swoop then? I mean if hearing aids offer NO benifit, you could save insurance a few bucks by doing it in one fell swoop!

My doctor told me that the hospital has asked him not to do any more bi lateral surgeries. We are going to have one ear done then schedule the next surgery for a few months later.

I think it comes down to the mighty dollar. why would the hospital want to get paid for one surgery when they can get paid for two?

Just got my surgery date which will be May 19th

My doctor told me that the hospital has asked him not to do any more bi lateral surgeries. We are going to have one ear done then schedule the next surgery for a few months later.

I think it comes down to the mighty dollar. why would the hospital want to get paid for one surgery when they can get paid for two?

Just got my surgery date which will be May 19th

They do it one at a time because they want to take it slowly. I mean I'm getting 2 cochlear implants, 1 next week and another in the future (4 months or so).
I remember that last year, when getting implanted on my left, it was very painful the next day. If your someone that sleeps side way, you would not want to get both sides implanted and have to sleep up or down, lol.

As for slowly, you are going to have a hard time, enough trying to get used to just one implant.
I wish you best, I hope it all works out great for you.

They do it one at a time because they want to take it slowly. I mean I'm getting 2 cochlear implants, 1 next week and another in the future (4 months or so).
I remember that last year, when getting implanted on my left, it was very painful the next day. If your someone that sleeps side way, you would not want to get both sides implanted and have to sleep up or down, lol.

As for slowly, you are going to have a hard time, enough trying to get used to just one implant.
I wish you best, I hope it all works out great for you.
Makes sense. Also, it seems that it would be a good idea to see how well you like the results of the first CI before getting another.

Back