We need captioning and touch screens at your favorite fast food drive-thru.

UpstNYDesigner

Reaction score
There is a thread that kalista talked about ATMs that needed ASL. Her idea was a mistaken and should have focused on drive-thru. I used to be HOH and I used to hear what they say and make my orders with little difficulties. However, after losing hearing to tinnitus, I could not use drive-thru like I used to. How am I going to do this? Remember Terelyne's incident with BK over a decade ago or so and so far BK has not yet made a new version of drive-thru at their franchises.

I would like to voice this matter that we need a touchscreen similar to ATMs and we can press buttons for what we want to order. Then the screen will tell you how much the bill is.

If BK wants the remaining 10 percents of Americans and foreigners who are deaf, hoh, etc.. for profit, they should have put up special screens.

I remember Funscape had those machines and deaf people were so excitied back then. I used to go there often just to eat because I took advantage of using the computer they had for us to order! Then they took it away then it was a big nosedive for Funscape after they took those screens away! A lesson they have to learn! NEVER ever play with us!

Please get in touch with your favorite American fast food chains. There are many dozens of chains you can get in touch with!

I still want to order my Tendergrill Combo with King size at Drive-thru! Not freaking inside! Hee hee!

There is a thread that kalista talked about ATMs that needed ASL. Her idea was a mistaken and should have focused on drive-thru. I used to be HOH and I used to hear what they say and make my orders with little difficulties. However, after losing hearing to tinnitus, I could not use drive-thru like I used to. How am I going to do this? Remember Terelyne's incident with BK over a decade ago or so and so far BK has not yet made a new version of drive-thru at their franchises.

I would like to voice this matter that we need a touchscreen similar to ATMs and we can press buttons for what we want to order. Then the screen will tell you how much the bill is.

If BK wants the remaining 10 percents of Americans and foreigners who are deaf, hoh, etc.. for profit, they should have put up special screens.

I remember Funscape had those machines and deaf people were so excitied back then. I used to go there often just to eat because I took advantage of using the computer they had for us to order! Then they took it away then it was a big nosedive for Funscape after they took those screens away! A lesson they have to learn! NEVER ever play with us!

Please get in touch with your favorite American fast food chains. There are many dozens of chains you can get in touch with!

I still want to order my Tendergrill Combo with King size at Drive-thru! Not freaking inside! Hee hee!

You dont need to hear to use an atm only read what is on the screen. And there are fast food places with lcd screens and captioning, the one here has it.

You dont need to hear to use an atm only read what is on the screen. And there are fast food places with lcd screens and captioning, the one here has it.

What fast food restaurant is that? I agree with that idea UpstNYdesigner! Do we contact the headquarters of the company and let them know what we want?

yea, I agree with u that we dont need ASL videos on the ATMs..geez!

Wow.. you know I had never thought about that. How in the world would u order drive through. I have to say I think calling in for delivery has to be difficult. But yeah. I totally agree with the touch screen menu outside, although some companies might be scared theives would run off with it or something. Kids these days. But it would cut down on menu screw ups for all of us !

YEah it would be great to have a touch screen but I use to go right up to the window that you get your food and explain to them that I can't hear that speaker. Most of the time they are accommodating as I've never had any problems so far otherwise I'll just go inside to order... I've seen drive through banking so this is a possibility but then you have to remember if anyone will read it or whomever is computer illeriate (sp) will not know how to use it esp the old people (so there's pros and cons) .. like my Father who is so old-fashioned that he'll refuse to use the ATM instead he'll go inside to do his business... I guess I take after him when I want some fast food.. lmao..

YOu may see one if you are in MD, Washington DC and few other places that have a High number of deafies living around the area.. (just my thought)

Of just get off your lazy ass, walk into the resturant, and then place your order.

UpstNYdesigner, that sounds like an awesome idea!!

I never thought of that. GOOD THINKER:thumb:

Of just get off your lazy ass, walk into the resturant, and then place your order.

Have u tried bringing 2 sleepy kids inside the restaurant in -5 degree weather? Why should I have to do that just because I am deaf? I still go thru the drive thru and order my food at the pick up window. Pisses a lot of people off but I aint getting out in -5 degree weather for a drink. :ugh3:

The touch screen would make things easier for everyone, the employees, the deaf customer and hearing customers cuz they dont have to wait longer while the deaf customer orders food thru the pick up window. I think it is a win-win situation.

Have u tried bringing 2 sleepy kids inside the restaurant in -5 degree weather? Why should I have to do that just because I am deaf? I still go thru the drive thru and order my food at the pick up window. Pisses a lot of people off but I aint getting out in -5 degree weather for a drink. :ugh3:

The touch screen would make things easier for everyone, the employees, the deaf customer and hearing customers cuz they dont have to wait longer while the deaf customer orders food thru the pick up window. I think it is a win-win situation.

So don't go there. Buy something healthy, drink some water. There's a reason america is the most over weight country in the world, people have no self control.

Another way I was thinking was to use the BB or SK and type in what you want before pull up where the screen is and then aim your bb or SK at the screen what you want just the button of your BB or Sk then if it wrong then you fix it or if it right then pulled up to the next window pay your food and get your food and go.

that need a new techology. :D

Yeah and some fast food restaurants have face to face drive-thru, I have a few near my hometown, a lot better than speaking through the speaker box...

Yeah and some fast food restaurants have face to face drive-thru, I have a few near my hometown, a lot better than speaking through the speaker box...

Oh really..never seen those. All of the restaurants that I have ever been to require the speaker box. That's cool. :)

Yeah! Just ask Terelyne her experience at Burger King out in the La La Land she faced back in early 1990s, I think. Source: Deaf Life.

Terelyne had a baby and she drove through at BK and she ordered something but they said she must order inside or go through the speaker. She drove straight up the window. That is why. Because of the baby, too much trouble and she had to park and you know the rest of history. Yes, they even called the cops. She didnt get arrested but she sued BK but BK didnt do anything! Go figure!

Only place had the computers were Funscape Entertainment Center.. It was an indoor amusement park with mini golf, arcade, 2 or 3 rides, movie complex, etc.. well, they had a fast food stand for pizza hut, a sub, KFC, taco bell, and something else.. I think Dairy Queen. I recalled that you go up to the computer and order your food and then pay to cashier then pick up your food! I loved that!!! But that was walk-up. I even asked for manager on first visit and told her that Funscape finally broke barrier for Deaf people (I wore hearing aid then and could hear better back then and we talked). It was not intended she said but it worked for us! Word got around fast and many Deaf went there to order.

Bad news was that a few years later, when it was downside in company wide, they took away the computers then a few months later, they closed Funscape. I am referring to the one in my hometown in Central NY. I am sure they did close quite a bit of Funscape. Did any of you experienced this back in early 1990s?

Yeah! Just ask Terelyne her experience at Burger King out in the La La Land she faced back in early 1990s, I think. Source: Deaf Life.

Terelyne had a baby and she drove through at BK and she ordered something but they said she must order inside or go through the speaker. She drove straight up the window. That is why. Because of the baby, too much trouble and she had to park and you know the rest of history. Yes, they even called the cops. She didnt get arrested but she sued BK but BK didnt do anything! Go figure!

Only place had the computers were Funscape Entertainment Center.. It was an indoor amusement park with mini golf, arcade, 2 or 3 rides, movie complex, etc.. well, they had a fast food stand for pizza hut, a sub, KFC, taco bell, and something else.. I think Dairy Queen. I recalled that you go up to the computer and order your food and then pay to cashier then pick up your food! I loved that!!! But that was walk-up. I even asked for manager on first visit and told her that Funscape finally broke barrier for Deaf people (I wore hearing aid then and could hear better back then and we talked). It was not intended she said but it worked for us! Word got around fast and many Deaf went there to order.

Bad news was that a few years later, when it was downside in company wide, they took away the computers then a few months later, they closed Funscape. I am referring to the one in my hometown in Central NY. I am sure they did close quite a bit of Funscape. Did any of you experienced this back in early 1990s?

Royal Farms have that ..I believe Sheetz does too.

So don't go there. Buy something healthy, drink some water. There's a reason america is the most over weight country in the world, people have no self control.

and your point is?

Here's my thought...what if the first menu outside has a button to alert the clerk that you're deaf, then you drive to the window and use touch screen in front of clerk to order. That would prevent smart aleck kids from playing with touch menu screen and drive off.

I like the idea for the captioning and press some buttons to select the food. I personally do not like to go in the fast food because of the robbery. It happens once a while in the same place - I read it in the newspaper. I had to go inside and order it quickly and get out. I eat my food in the car that makes me feel safer.

Back