Warner to Back Blu-ray Exclusively

Good! HD DVD's finally done in with Warner's exculsive switch to Bluray. I love watching Bluray discs on my PS3. Sony sure did get a winner this time with Bluray disc compared to the last video format war (Betamax vs VHS).

I have a question. Of course my Dell XPS M1710 laptop is already obsolete. It now plays "standard" (if there is such a thing) DVDs. When (not if) the future brings a drastic format change like the change from VHS to DVD, do you think I may be able to buy a plug-in and still play subtitled movies on the go?

I know I could ask Dell, but I truly hate message-exchanges with someone living in a trailer outside Katmandu who chooses English phrases from a menu.

I'll have to ask you to be more specific on what you want to know. If you are referring to DVD format that are captioned but lack English subtitles. I know for a fact that it's rather difficult to display analog CC on HDTV displays in many cases for most deaf consumers. I feel it's an issue that should be addressed but not enough are being done about it.

That's an interesting question if that's what you meant. You know, on Blu-ray Disc, they are currently developing BD Live. It's an interesting concept, I would have to provide some links later on it. But one thing about it is that you will be able to download additional subtitles for movies on BD, most likely in different languages.

Anyway, if that's not what you were looking for. You can try and re-clarify it with more specific details so I will get the idea of what you really are getting at.

Sorry that my question wasn't clear. Ha ha ha, creative writers tend to do that.

As far as I know about DVDs, my laptop now plays "standard" DVDs, the ones most people rent at Blockbusters. When they become obsolete, as VHS became obsolete, do you think a plug-in player will become available so that I can watch the new formats without having to buy a brand new laptop?

*sigh* (expelled verbal languages)

Old Tapes has been thrown it out..
Secondly another improved VHS better and quality until no longer use.. *thrown it out too*
Next... Best Qualify DVD cdrom.... Gonna be next thrown it out again ???? #%@#%!#$%$

Next brand new 110% IMPROVED BEST QUALIFY THE BLU-RAY cdrom.. Will another few years.. and may thrown it out near the future.. what next ???? *ahem*

Sorry that my question wasn't clear. Ha ha ha, creative writers tend to do that.

As far as I know about DVDs, my laptop now plays "standard" DVDs, the ones most people rent at Blockbusters. When they become obsolete, as VHS became obsolete, do you think a plug-in player will become available so that I can watch the new formats without having to buy a brand new laptop?

I'm a writer myself too. I even have a blog, it's called Banjo's World. :)

Anyway, that's what I thought you may had meant to start with. Well, the truth may be hard to hear. You mentioned that your laptop is obsolete, so it's highly unlikely because the new technology require people to buy a computer equipped with a video card with HDCP support. Blu-ray Disc also has a high bandwidth rate and requires quite a bit of power from your computer to display them. The resolution of a DVD is 740x480 while Blu-ray Disc is 1920x1080.

The Blu-ray format is a major upgrade from the DVD format. However, the important thing for people to understand is the transition will be different in comparison to what we went through with VHS and DVD. People can either choose to get rid of the DVDs by replacing them with new Blu-ray editions or keep the old DVD editions and continue on buying new titles only. The DVDs can be upconverted to 1080p to give it more of a HD look on any Blu-ray players.

*sigh* (expelled verbal languages)

Old Tapes has been thrown it out..
Secondly another improved VHS better and quality until no longer use.. *thrown it out too*
Next... Best Qualify DVD cdrom.... Gonna be next thrown it out again ???? #%@#%!#$%$

Next brand new 110% IMPROVED BEST QUALIFY THE BLU-RAY cdrom.. Will another few years.. and may thrown it out near the future.. what next ???? *ahem*

You don't have to get rid of your movies if you don't want to. You can keep them, they can be upconverted to 1080p. It's highly likely that we will continue to use optical (holographic) discs in the future meaning we can keep Blu-ray Disc too as well because it's easier to make them backward compatible these days. So what I'm saying is, if you decide to upgrade to a Blu-ray Disc player, you can either buy just new movies or replace your old movies if you want to.

The choice is entirely up to you.

I am happy that I am reading this, so I can decide to purchase a blu ray DVD player, becuase I am looking at purchasing a mini home theatre system for myself later this year, when I move out. Thanks for the heads up, Banjo.

I am happy that I am reading this, so I can decide to purchase a blu ray DVD player, becuase I am looking at purchasing a mini home theatre system for myself later this year, when I move out. Thanks for the heads up, Banjo.

Blu-ray Disc, not Blu-ray DVD. :D

No worries, I'm still constantly correcting people on saying the name properly. It's just matter of time. I still have a friend who refer to DVD as Movie CDs and that's 10 years after DVD came out.

Blu-ray Disc, not Blu-ray DVD. :D

No worries, I'm still constantly correcting people on saying the name properly. It's just matter of time. I still have a friend who refer to DVD as Movie CDs and that's 10 years after DVD came out.

It's good that they are trying to make it where you can use old technology when you get new technology now.

GalaxyAngel has a good point. As soon as we buy the newest, most wonderful, most expensive . . . it's just in time to toss it on the scap heap. Some of us don't wait with bated breath for the latest toy with innovative lights and shakers (deafie equivalants to bells and whistles) to hit the market and empty our pocketbooks.

I still own many VHS tapes. I bought a player to play both VHS and DVDs so I don't have to duplicate old favorites.

I use my laptop as a portable workstation, so it's not just for entertainment. But I'm wondering if such a plug-in multiple player as the VHS/DVD player for my home TV will be made available for my laptop which will enable it to play the new Blu-Rays, as well as the now-aniquated DVDs?

Or will I just have to grow old watching VHS and DVD at home and DVD only when away from home?

At any rate, Banjo, I appreciate your attempt to explain to a non-techie. Maybe I'll get it after the umpteenth explanation, if you have the patience, ha ha ha.

I use my laptop as a portable workstation, so it's not just for entertainment. But I'm wondering if such a plug-in multiple player as the VHS/DVD player for my home TV will be made available for my laptop which will enable it to play the new Blu-Rays, as well as the now-aniquated DVDs?

That's if your laptop is powerful enough to handle the bandwidth and resolution, plus your video card would need to support HDCP. A Blu-ray Disc drive (reader) is capable of playing DVDs on both standalone players and computers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually release a VHS and Blu-ray Disc/DVD Combo player to play all 3 formats since many people still do own VHS tapes. They have yet to announce one.

Banjo, thanks for putting up with pesty questions.

Alrighty...

According to The Digital Bits, they made calls to some retailers in Orange County (California), Blu-ray hardwares (players) made quite a dramatic jump in sales since Warner's announcement.

Prior to the announcement, Blu-ray players were selling 3 to 1 (HD DVD players).

It jumped from 3 to 1 to 20 to 1. Keep in mind that this is just in OC, it's not an official number across the nation. But it is very likely that in some areas, the sales are increasing dramatically due to the announcement. What this means is that more people are becoming more confident in making a safe long-term investment. Salespeople are now recommending them over HD DVD.

Just take a look at eBay. HD DVD players are now the #1 selling item. People are trying to unload them off. Many are even returning their HD DVD players they received for Christmas to the stores.

What a month this has been. To tell you the truth, I think we are just entering the early stage of mass adoption starting this month. It's going to be quite a year.

Alrighty...

According to The Digital Bits, they made calls to some retailers in Orange County (California), Blu-ray hardwares (players) made quite a dramatic jump in sales since Warner's announcement.

Prior to the announcement, Blu-ray players were selling 3 to 1 (HD DVD players).

It jumped from 3 to 1 to 20 to 1. Keep in mind that this is just in OC, it's not an official number across the nation. But it is very likely that in some areas, the sales are increasing dramatically due to the announcement. What this means is that more people are becoming more confident in making a safe long-term investment. Salespeople are now recommending them over HD DVD.

Just take a look at eBay. HD DVD players are now the #1 selling item. People are trying to unload them off. Many are even returning their HD DVD players they received for Christmas to the stores.

What a month this has been. To tell you the truth, I think we are just entering the early stage of mass adoption starting this month. It's going to be quite a year.

It's getting to be quite obvious of what is gonna be next thing. Makes it almost safe to buy Blu-ray and know it'll be there for few years at least unless something radical happens.

in future, there will be no more disc but replace to flash memory like USB and plug to loading much quick. Since there are good example on lately technology at CES such as SSD that can hold 750+GB at 2.5" thick. More small it become awesome to storage both space and weight. Also, it would be amazing that it can be more less protect from not get scar as if we use cartridge for video game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do eventually release a VHS and Blu-ray Disc/DVD Combo player to play all 3 formats since many people still do own VHS tapes. They have yet to announce one.

I would be suprised if any of the new blu-ray players came with a vhs slot. VHS is outdated and not supported anymore. Did you see any DVD players with an option to play VERA videotapes?

:o)

I would be suprised if any of the new blu-ray players came with a vhs slot. VHS is outdated and not supported anymore. Did you see any DVD players with an option to play VERA videotapes?

:o)

VERA videotapes? I didn't think anyone here would even know what they were. Except maybe for Tousi and Reba... not that I'm calling them dinosaurs, you know. ;)

I think it was only for commercial purposes though.

VERA videotapes? I didn't think anyone here would even know what they were. Except maybe for Tousi and Reba... not that I'm calling them dinosaurs, you know. ;)

I think it was only for commercial purposes though.

Don't forgot about Sxyporkie, I think that she does know about it or not sure.

Does movie theater use VERA format? Just wonders...

Back