Wanting To Learn Asl For Deaf Child. Need Help

Crystal Voyles

Reaction score
My grandson Gabe was born completely deaf. He just turned 3 and I am interested in learning sign language So that i can communicate with him. Would love some suggestions on the best methods to use. Such as reccomended videos or internet courses. I would eventually want to become fluent. But would love just to know basics for a 3 year old. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 3 year old daughter who I am teaching, it is so much fun. Do you have a deaf school in town that teaches family members? No one better to learn from than the Deaf. :)

No I don't have anything local like that to learn from. I figured I would have to rely on videos or internet. I could go to the local college but it's pricey

I took classes for ASL when I lived in Berkeley, Ca. and it was at Center for Disables and it wasn't pricey.

I have a 3 year old daughter who I am teaching, it is so much fun. Do you have a deaf school in town that teaches family members? No one better to learn from than the Deaf. :)
Volunteering with the deaf community will really help you to learn. Even among the signers there are different techniques for some things. I would really call the deaf society or services for the deaf for recommendations to learn ASL. I am surprised but not a whole lot, that no one made any recommendations for you. By the way, a 3 year old knows a whole lot more than you realize and will communicate by many different means others than oral if needed. Watch the child and learn from him, too. Is he learning ASL, if so go to his classes with him.

Back