Want to learn ASL!

Feather_130

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a desire to learn ASL for many years but it seems impossible to find someone who is willing to teach me, or a class where I can learn it. I live in a town in Ontario,CA that has a huge Deaf Community. And as I am a lifeguard at a town facility I feel like learning ASL should be part of the job. We have a few Deaf employees that I work alongside but I can't communicate with them because I know very little ASL. Is there any suggestions anyone can give me to help me learn Sign Language? I really want to I just can't figure out how I can do it.

I’d suggest that you start teaching yourself. Once you get a small vocabulary built up and a basic grasp of ASL’s grammatical structure, your coworkers can start to help you with your progress. All you need to do is get a crowbar in the door, and the rest will fall into place over time. Bear in mind, however, that some Deaf people have no tolerance for people with limited ASL skills, and will shut you out if you ask them for help. But you will also find many who are happier than a pig in shit that you are showing an interest in the subject, and who will gladly help you. I’d recommend the following three sources for a thorough introduction to ASL vocabulary and grammar:

A Basic Course in American Sign Language, by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden.

American Sign Language: A Teacher’s Resource Text on Grammar and Culture, by Charlotte Baker-Shenk and Dennis Cokely. (Gallaudet Green Book Series).

The Random House American Sign Language Dictionary, by Elaine Costello.

You can get all three of these from Amazon for about $90 paperback. This is all you really need to gain a solid working vocabulary and a firm grasp of the grammar. Personally, I would recommend that you avoid all the overhyped and overpriced DVD’s, software, videos, etc., and just start cracking the books. With just these three sources of instruction and a small circle of native signers with whom you can practice, and who will reinforce your skills, you should be able to make substantial progress in a year or less if you pursue it aggressively enough. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

It would be good to teach yourself. Try talking to yourself or talk out loud while using some signs. When you're with other people who use ASL, use it more often too. It should help.

Feather_130 said:
I live in a town in Ontario,CA

Actually you live quite close to me. If you want, I can help 'guide' you to deaf activities, teach you some (I'm easy to communicate with). Or you should check out ASL classes at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA. I highly recommend you get George Durough as your instructor (he's Deaf himself, and makes the class interesting/challenging compared to other instructors' methods).

Send me a PM sometime if you'd like to get together. It would be great to have a hearing lifeguard knowing some ASL at the pool.

Hey,

Thank-you so much for the advice on learning ASL. I actually am from Ontario, Canada...thanks for the offer but I'm a long ways away from Ontario, California. :) I would really like to communicate with my coworkers but I get really nervous and usually end up running away anyways. I think that maybe having some knowledge would really help me. Thanks again for the suggestions! :)

Levonian said:
I’d suggest that you start teaching yourself. Once you get a small vocabulary built up and a basic grasp of ASL’s grammatical structure, your coworkers can start to help you with your progress. All you need to do is get a crowbar in the door, and the rest will fall into place over time. Bear in mind, however, that some Deaf people have no tolerance for people with limited ASL skills, and will shut you out if you ask them for help. But you will also find many who are happier than a pig in shit that you are showing an interest in the subject, and who will gladly help you. I’d recommend the following three sources for a thorough introduction to ASL vocabulary and grammar:

A Basic Course in American Sign Language, by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden.

American Sign Language: A Teacher’s Resource Text on Grammar and Culture, by Charlotte Baker-Shenk and Dennis Cokely. (Gallaudet Green Book Series).

The Random House American Sign Language Dictionary, by Elaine Costello.

You can get all three of these from Amazon for about $90 paperback. This is all you really need to gain a solid working vocabulary and a firm grasp of the grammar. Personally, I would recommend that you avoid all the overhyped and overpriced DVD’s, software, videos, etc., and just start cracking the books. With just these three sources of instruction and a small circle of native signers with whom you can practice, and who will reinforce your skills, you should be able to make substantial progress in a year or less if you pursue it aggressively enough. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

To Levionan:

Glad you recommended this particular book:

A Basic Course in American Sign Language,
by Tom Humphries and Carol Padden.
This book is probably the best book
to learn sign language as compared with other books.

What do you think of another book "Sign Naturally" ?
This book is the WORST book to learn sign language
and many students complained that they felt
that kind of book is more difficult to learn sign language.
So, these students are better off to stay with
this book "A Basic Course in American Sign Language".

Last edited:
Back