want to hear your opinions about cochlear implant

JamieR

Reaction score
I am doing a research for my english class. I have to ask deaf people's opinions about Cochlear Implant. Anyone that are against CI and anyone that has CI and anyone that is thinking about getting one.

I am not against CIs themselves but against the views that are associated with them. Like CIs give deaf people more opportunities, or better lives. I really despite that view from the medical community. It disgusts me.

Man, I love CI.
I been through 4 surgeries so far (see my sig for reason why) and I will keep on get surgeries if it allows me to hear. I been without sounds for weeks now and I am craving to hear again.
This is imo, CI allowed me to be in the mainstream. Honestly, not many people know ASL so learning it would not really benefit you. Thats why my parents got me implants when i was a baby.

Man, I love CI.
I been through 4 surgeries so far (see my sig for reason why) and I will keep on get surgeries if it allows me to hear. I been without sounds for weeks now and I am craving to hear again.
This is imo, CI allowed me to be in the mainstream. Honestly, not many people know ASL so learning it would not really benefit you. Thats why my parents got me implants when i was a baby.

ASL has benefitted a lot of deaf people ..it has given them the power of language. How can you say it doesnt benifit the OP? That is for the OP to judge.

ASL has benefitted a lot of deaf people ..it has given them the power of language. How can you say it doesnt benifit the OP? That is for the OP to judge.

I'm just saying, how many people in the average society actually know ASL? Lets say, you are out to shop for a car. We gotta talk to the dealer, make the deal ect. But the salesman doesnt know ASL (most likely) so you are going to have to have a family member or some friend that knows ASL and can speak English to interpret your ASL.
I have nothing against ASL, i personal just think it does not really help deaf people in the average world. Hell i gone for weeks without my cochlear implant and none of my friends know ASL (asked) and also asked teachers, nope.
But deaf people that chat to anyone that knows ASL, thats cool, i have no issue with it.

Man, I love CI.
You would be surprised.

I'm just saying, how many people in the average society actually know ASL? Lets say, you are out to shop for a car. We gotta talk to the dealer, make the deal ect. But the salesman doesnt know ASL (most likely) so you are going to have to have a family member or some friend that knows ASL and can speak English to interpret your ASL.
I have nothing against ASL, i personal just think it does not really help deaf people in the average world. Hell i gone for weeks without my cochlear implant and none of my friends know ASL (asked) and also asked teachers, nope.
But deaf people that chat to anyone that knows ASL, thats cool, i have no issue with it.

I know car dealers that signs. I NEVER use a family member to interpret for me.

Shows how little you know about ASL and the Deaf community if you think it doesnt help deaf people in the "average" world. That is the problem with society's viewpoint. Contribuiting to it doesnt help.

You are entitled to how you feel but telling the OP that ASL wont help her isnt helpful.

okay my bad I brought ASL into this. "CI allows me to speak english" was the point I was trying to make.

okay my bad I brought ASL into this. "CI allows me to speak english" is the point I was trying to make.

For your information, I was born with a bilateral profound-severe deafness (110-120 dB) and I speak English just fine. No CIs here. Learned ASL at 25 years old.

See, that's the view that the medical community is feeding innocent parents just to pressure them into making the decision of implanting. If your child doesnt get a CI, your child wont learn to speak. Many of us here have proven that wrong.

For your information, I was born with a bilateral profound-severe deafness (110-120 dB) and I speak English just fine. No CIs here. Learned ASL at 25 years old.

See, that's the view that the medical community is feeding innocent parents just to pressure them into making the decision of implanting. If your child doesnt get a CI, your child wont learn to speak. Many of us here have proven that wrong.

Oh, from my experience, I've talked to those who don't have CI and hearing aids since HA would not benefit them, and they signed but they mumbled their speech. It was impossible to understand their speaking.
Honestly, and I am sorry, I thought people who cant hear themselves are highly unlikely to speak english.

Oh, from my experience, I've talked to those who don't have CI and hearing aids since HA would not benefit them, and they signed but they mumbled their speech. It was impossible to understand their speaking.
Honestly, and I am sorry, I thought people who cant hear themselves are highly unlikely to speak english.

It is ok...I used to think the same as you did growing up until I learned ASL and how wrong I was.

My question is to the medical community is if they cant speak English but can read and write it fluently, what's wrong with that? They are still just as intelligent. My brother has no speech skills but he is highly intelligent by his creative use of ASL.

I know it is true my speech is hard to understand. But I do speak English. Also I am not a person who can benefit from CI.

I also know that they are a very emotional subject and people tend to fight a lot about them here.

nd hearing aids since HA would not benefit them, and they signed but they mumbled their speech. It was impossible to understand their speaking.
We do have someone who learned to speak unaided with a severe loss. Severe and profound losses do not mean no usable hearing. Heck it does seem to be kind of rare even in the Deaf community to see voice off unaided/unCId folks.
Were the people you met older? Maybe they just hadn't had good access to a speech therapist experianced with dealing with dhh kids.
Personally I think that for kids who receive little to no benifit from hearing aids, the CI can be a GODSEND! All it is, is basicly a more sophiscated/powerful hearing aid. Did you know back in the day the Deaf community was AGAINST HA?

Man, I love CI.

I used ASL all during my school years so I could have ASL interpreters tell me what my teachers and students were saying. It was a HUGE HUGE HUGE benefit.

I used ASL all during my school years so I could have ASL interpreters tell me what my teachers and students were saying. It was a HUGE HUGE HUGE benefit.

By not learning ASL as a child was NOT a benefit for me.

I get so sick and tired of people's negative views about ASL. I think the views behind the CI really reinforced these negative views about ASL.

I am not against CIs themselves but against the views that are associated with them. Like CIs give deaf people more opportunities, or better lives. I really despite that view from the medical community. It disgusts me.

Like how does medical community digust you? In what way?

Back