Want a normal life for your child?

Nobody needs to state that any language is not normal and that they are better off without a certain language. AGBell has always given the implication that many deaf people would be better off without ASL and that is very offensive. I grew up orally and I struggled for the sake of being "normal".

thats my point i was trying to make a point that what agbell re doing is plain silly its insulting to our community s language
which is why i pointed out several other language that arent english and english itself came from latin those seemed anbormal also but its a language anyway
u re right what agbell re doing to asl has no logic or reasoning behind it whatsoever

from my personal experience when iw as in a deaf school it was very confusing times the teachers in my classes forbid me to use oral and yet other teachers in other classes forbid me to use sign language for oral purpose so i just tell them to shove it and i just do whtever i dam well please
so heres my opinion its ur choice dont depend on other ppl s opinion use the facts and make ur own opinion since after all its ur choice is it not?

I don't find anything funny not at all. If people are just going to created threads to mock at AG Bell's position, it shows immaturity. There are various options of programs for the deaf and hard of hearing to choose from.

I didn't say it was funny. I said it sarcasm at it's best. And I'll add witty, creative, and imaginative, given the point that Flip was making.

I've read the website, And I did not see anything they say about ASL. :dunno:

From the site:
Look for a program in which:

Children can maximize their auditory potential all day where they are expected to learn to listen and speak.

Spoken language is the only language used by children at all times.

The statement infers no sign language of any form, and that would include ASL.

thats my point i was trying to make a point that what agbell re doing is plain silly its insulting to our community s language
which is why i pointed out several other language that arent english and english itself came from latin those seemed anbormal also but its a language anyway
u re right what agbell re doing to asl has no logic or reasoning behind it whatsoever

from my personal experience when iw as in a deaf school it was very confusing times the teachers in my classes forbid me to use oral and yet other teachers in other classes forbid me to use sign language for oral purpose so i just tell them to shove it and i just do whtever i dam well please
so heres my opinion its ur choice dont depend on other ppl s opinion use the facts and make ur own opinion since after all its ur choice is it not?

I am not against giving every child the opportunity to develop oral skills. What I despite is AGBell's philosophy about oralism being the key to a child's success or being "normal".

I've read the website, And I did not see anything they say about ASL. :dunno:

They dont have to say it...their emphasis on oralism in several of their statements makes it so obvious.

I am not against giving every child the opportunity to develop oral skills. What I despite is AGBell's philosophy about oralism being the key to a child's success or being "normal".

yup well thast a short and sweet version of my wall of text god i gotta lay off the caffine its making me spurt out gibberish

From the site:
Look for a program in which:

Children can maximize their auditory potential all day where they are expected to learn to listen and speak.

Spoken language is the only language used by children at all times.

The statement infers no sign language of any form, and that would include ASL.

But, we all know that the oral program is a spoken language approach, we are not that stupid to know there's no sign language in that approach.

But, we all know that the oral program is a spoken language approach, we are not that stupid to know there's no sign language in that approach.

No one was accusing anyone of being stupid. I was just answering your statement about them not saying no ASL. You said you didn't see it on the website.

Flip: wouldn't it be better to post a comercial about bibi aproach or sign langauage? It's just that I went through the oral only system. It causes a lot of isolation and impotional problem. Plus many of the other orally taught deaf at the PHU I went to were in the bottom classes. Even though they must have been clever to manage to speak in the first place.

Oral only doesn't work. How well cued speach works, I don't know. Signing would be great but I'd rather cued speach or Signed supported english. Rather then the totally oral aproach. I mean any method is better then depriving a child of any visually based communication at all. Placing them in a class where teachers just speak and you are supposed to take notes. Which is what was happening at the PHU. They didn't even write much on the blackboard like the last school I went to. So my accemic performance took a nose dive in that place.

Besides if you look at the deaf news section you will see loads of articules about 'successful' CI kids so it seems that your idea of 'comercials' is already permitted. I don't mind comercials about BiBi or alternative visual systems but if you have articles like this some parents might just take you seriously. After all it's what they want to hear.

I am not talking about what's best, but the idea of advertising on AD to convince parents to limit themselves to a tool.

In the deaf news section I found articles from news agencies, not private and commericial organizations(ok, media is full of corporcate controlled news, but that's another story). My concern is direct advertisements on AD from private organizations like NCSA. If it's allowed on AD, I think it would be in the interests of parents to have it all, to balance it out. This means advertisement from AG Bell as well.

It's hard to find commericals about bi-bi. But happy to know if it exists!

I don't find anything funny not at all. If people are just going to created threads to mock at AG Bell's position, it shows immaturity. There are various options of programs for the deaf and hard of hearing to choose from.

Honestly, I wasn't mocking AG Bell. It just happens it's easy to find advertisement style argument from them. Perhaps it says something about them, and you take that as mocking?

I am not talking about what's best, but the idea of advertising on AD to convince parents to limit themselves to a tool.

In the deaf news section I found articles from news agencies, not private and commericial organizations(ok, media is full of corporcate controlled news, but that's another story). My concern is direct advertisements on AD from private organizations like NCSA. If it's allowed on AD, I think it would be in the interests of parents to have it all, to balance it out. This means advertisement from AG Bell as well.

It's hard to find commericals about bi-bi. But happy to know if it exists!

Or the signing programs dont get much monetary support and cant afford to make advertisements.

Another reason I despite AGBell is that many BiBi or signing programs have asked for monetary support only to get turned down but AGBell and any other oral-only supporting programs get a lot of support.

It can be that ASL is air to deaf people. You can't make commericals about air as we must have it, it would be pointless :)

Back