Walking/Running, Anyone?

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm calling out to you walkers/runners -

How often do you walk/run per week?

What's your walking/running pace? IE; Walk for 5 minutes, run for 1 min?

As of now, I walk/run at 3 miles each day with some terrain that's flat and sections that has some small hills. My goal is to be able to run non-stop for 20-30 minutes and to increase the mileages. To this point, I'm able to walk for 5 mins, run for 1 min - switching it back and forth, repeating it 5 times (that was last week's progress). So, this week I'm going to try to further this challenge by trying to walk for 2 mins, run 1 min - repeat it 7 times.

What methods do you use?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

I walk about 30 miles a week right now. Slowly increasing your time and distances is what works best. I have also used ankle weights in the past.

I will probably never run again. Never much liked it. Besides, "the boys" would probably slap the ground at my age.

I try to walk about 45 minutes a day. Not a fast pace or anything, just to get some mild exercise to improve my health. :)

I'm calling out to you walkers/runners -

How often do you walk/run per week?

What's your walking/running pace? IE; Walk for 5 minutes, run for 1 min?

As of now, I walk/run at 3 miles each day with some terrain that's flat and sections that has some small hills. My goal is to be able to run non-stop for 20-30 minutes and to increase the mileages. To this point, I'm able to walk for 5 mins, run for 1 min - switching it back and forth, repeating it 5 times (that was last week's progress). So, this week I'm going to try to further this challenge by trying to walk for 2 mins, run 1 min - repeat it 7 times.

What methods do you use?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Look for a couch to 5k program like the one I did
http://www.concordnc.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0nCLBS5weDg=&tabid=380

they start out run a minute, walk a minute and build up. After the 10-12 weeks, most everyone ran a 5k non-stop.

I vary it, usually jog/run in 1-3 minute intervals on a park trail 3 times a week, walk for recreation on the beach, or all out sessions of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) at a high school track when I can. Some weeks, I swim 100 meters or so. I also weight train once or twice a week. Every two months I take an entire week off, all this can take a toll on your joints without rest. Sometimes a mix of all the above, just don't stop for weeks at a time or you won't reap the benefits its meant for

I have been walking every morning/evening for 5 days. It took me finish to walk about 1 hour.

When fall comes, I will run again. I have a brand new treadmill...got it fo' sale. Right now, I work outside on my family's property in sun to keep my weight down..last yr, I lost 35 pounds of fat. Im just takin a break from running which is really nice. Cant wait to run 4 miles in 30 minutes,again. Nothin really to do when cold outside. :lol:

I've been bench pressin all yr so I kinda need my weight. :lol: Another great way to stay in shape!

I used to run cross country when I was in high school. I really enjoyed it then but don't do much running nowadays. Mornings are the ideal time to run as it is very hot here in AZ. I'm not a morning person so it's tough getting up early to run.

To stay healthy and keep the stress down, I walk daily about 4 miles in the evening.

I'm not a walker or a runner, but I do walk a lot as part of my job. I walk 5 to 7 miles on a daily basis.

I am lazy :lol: I will do it! hehehe :/ approxia depend on long not sure depend for know me longer I wish be longest changeless I love hobbies walking runner! :)

I walk about 30 miles a week right now. Slowly increasing your time and distances is what works best. I have also used ankle weights in the past.

I will probably never run again. Never much liked it. Besides, "the boys" would probably slap the ground at my age.

:lol: Well you know you can't defeat gravity, ha.

I also was told that it's best to change the scenery to challenge your body instead of hitting the plateau.

Look for a couch to 5k program like the one I did
http://www.concordnc.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0nCLBS5weDg=&tabid=380

they start out run a minute, walk a minute and build up. After the 10-12 weeks, most everyone ran a 5k non-stop.

Thanks for the link! That's more than I need to know.

I have been walking every morning/evening for 5 days. It took me finish to walk about 1 hour.

Woot! When I first started to walk, it took me an hour to complete it. Now, it's shaved down to 30 minutes. That was when I only was walking. Don't overdo yourself. Before you know it, you'll notice your pace increases. :)

:lol: Well you know you can't defeat gravity, ha.

I also was told that it's best to change the scenery to challenge your body instead of hitting the plateau.
I walk on a hilly path in a state park near my home. It is 4.5 miles around, and I do it either one or two laps per day, depending on that day's plans, weather, and how I feel.

I use my treadmill several times a week, and always take the stairs and don't mind parking a block from where I'm going, and walk the rest of the way....

But not really an avid runner or walker...I preferred body building and free weights in my younger years and worked out 5 days a week. It's paid off now that I'm a golden oldie!...Good health with the exception of the ear(s).....I also join my boys at the gym occassionally.

Yesterday I went out with a male friend for 2 hours walk/jog. We did like 5 miles together. It's great to have a friend to walk/jog with but I was used to my own pace. His pace was different than what I'm used to. It was longer than I normally do. Part of it was the distraction of walking/talking at the same time.

Anyway, I was doing good until the last 1/2 mile, I could feel my feet were throbbing, legs were starting to kind of give out. By the time I got home, I literally felt like my legs were jello, lol. Today, I'm taking off.

Someone asked me to deliver a bike. This person lived 1.1 miles away. I decided to have fun and walk the 1.1 mile with my rottweiler and deliver bike. It was about a 2.2 mile walk. Good exercise and I do my work too.

Yesterday I went out with a male friend for 2 hours walk/jog. We did like 5 miles together. It's great to have a friend to walk/jog with but I was used to my own pace. His pace was different than what I'm used to. It was longer than I normally do. Part of it was the distraction of walking/talking at the same time.

Anyway, I was doing good until the last 1/2 mile, I could feel my feet were throbbing, legs were starting to kind of give out. By the time I got home, I literally felt like my legs were jello, lol. Today, I'm taking off.
I know the feeling.

For me, as long as I don't sit (too long)... I can keep walking almost limitless.

I'ved taken 10-mile walks several times while I was at RIT. From RIT straight to Blockbuster Video was exactly 4 miles. Taking the long way around added a couple extra miles. So, my round trip was 10 miles.

The whole trip consisted of... walking from school... going through a plaza (a movie/music store and a toy/game store)... the mall... Best Buy... Target... Circuit City... Walmart... Blockbuster Video... a grocery store... then straight back home. That's what kept me going. :)

i always take a hot bath after 3-miles jogging. that way you won't get any tireless or soreness body. and make sure you drink a lot of water afterward.

Back