Vr

Sophia26

Reaction score
I didn't know which thread to post this under anyway, I was wondering if anyone applied for VR in their state? Can anyone tell me what they can do for you; such as benefits or assistants and such.

I was recently laid off and I was thinking about going to my local branch and applying for VR to help me get a job.

Sophia26 said:
I didn't know which thread to post this under anyway, I was wondering if anyone applied for VR in their state? Can anyone tell me what they can do for you; such as benefits or assistants and such.

I was recently laid off and I was thinking about going to my local branch and applying for VR to help me get a job.
I've applied for VR to help me with school. As for work, I've never needed their help so I can't really answer your question.

Sophia26 said:

I have applied for VR here in minn... all i know of what they do for you is.. help you out finincially with your school tution payments, help you look for an job ( you can't let them do it all by themself.. you'll also have to be parcipated looking for job urself.)

I think they also help with interpreter for interview, training, etc.. if the company refuse pay for interpreter VR will pay.. (I think)

Yes, you can get VR to help you out to look for a job for you, and provide interpreter at the interview. BUT it really depends on individual, all (or probably almost all) VR from different states/counties had different policies. I suppose you'll have to go to local VR and ask them questions about what they can do for you. I see that you are from Northridge, I used to live there and almost planned to look for a VR around there. Never got a chance to and wish I knew the information to tell you.
My VR (in NY) put me through its job agency at a school for the deaf because its where started the job agency for the deaf and other disability people. So, they had interpreter provided, and a job coach to help me out for first week at my job. I was pretty satisfied with what they did for me.
I hope you can make it out with the VR and a future job! Good luck, Sophia!!

Basically the VR's foremost goal is gainful employment for the individual, but yeah VR will help you out with college tuition often so. The money is calculated from availability of funds in each state, and it does vary. When I was out of high school, the VR enrolled me in a job experience program for 5 weeks and I got paid. I was a junior camp counselor at YMCA in my town. It was something else as my first paid job. lol

If there is enough money, VR can fund a laptop, pager, software needs, and all that are required by school with proof. House rent and food are also funded if you are living off campus. Again, it depends on the funding VR has in each state.. AND how good your GPA is.

All you have to do is to contact your local VR and they will tell you what is needed after you tell them what you need - a job, school, etc

what is VR? is this some kind of american only thing? how do i get it?

I have been use VR once, but they seem not much help find job for me.

I look up on my own and found a job with handsome salary.

VR < my brain.

Here Oklahoma VR is not a friendly because they are out of circle. Beside, they are no communicate abilite where I am standing. Due the state fund kind screw up; they are plan to reject the deaf request due the deaf put the tty or anything relate that they tries help Deaf community for better. They put the tty in pawn show when they found out. Main for this point, I used to have VR has me but I never bother them until I had question to ask them. They discover that my name was closed. I was like okay whatever.. they cannot process answer your or mine question. I have to fill out the application and then they will answer my question. Its silly thing to work but I told VR that I was apply the many jobs so far and friend of mine ask VR if that true. "Is that true the Hobby Lobby refuse hiring people who is Deaf." VR respond, "YES" I told VR thats discrimination and ask what they are going to do about it. VR respond, "nothing" I told VR, "You should do something because government has law about ADA since VR is under the government property." I was like not interesting to have some support to talk about the job for the deaf people who is looking for the job.

I think VR is worthless to have it because they respond "Nothing" I thought the VR is about support the communty become better?

ideafspy said:
Here Oklahoma VR is not a friendly because they are out of circle. Beside, they are no communicate abilite where I am standing. Due the state fund kind screw up; they are plan to reject the deaf request due the deaf put the tty or anything relate that they tries help Deaf community for better. They put the tty in pawn show when they found out. Main for this point, I used to have VR has me but I never bother them until I had question to ask them. They discover that my name was closed. I was like okay whatever.. they cannot process answer your or mine question. I have to fill out the application and then they will answer my question. Its silly thing to work but I told VR that I was apply the many jobs so far and friend of mine ask VR if that true. "Is that true the Hobby Lobby refuse hiring people who is Deaf." VR respond, "YES" I told VR thats discrimination and ask what they are going to do about it. VR respond, "nothing" I told VR, "You should do something because government has law about ADA since VR is under the government property." I was like not interesting to have some support to talk about the job for the deaf people who is looking for the job.

I think VR is worthless to have it because they respond "Nothing" I thought the VR is about support the communty become better?

I am appalled by your story about Oklahoma VR. But I have to ask you question.. Is your VR counselor hearing and using sign language? If not, then it is a common problem between hearing VR counselor and Deaf client. Communication is the number one problem. It is not new.

Well, I hate to say this, VR agencies are just neutral and "job placement factory." Best approach is to ask Disability Rights advocate or Deaf lawyer, if you know, about discrimination. Stay strong and fight for your rights.

Hm, My VR consuelor is allright. He is deaf so [shrug] no problems whatsoever. I have heard "bad" stories about him but so far I have no complaints about him.

I am getting my college tutition, parking permit, art supplies, and textbooks covered by the funds of VR.

I do have a contract with my VR that after I graduate from my college, I will find a job within 9 months afterward- with their help, of course if needed.
Like everybody says- it entirely depends on the state you are living in. The VR I mention is in California. I just think it depends on your client relationship with the VR conseulor. If you are helpful and efficient on your part, the conseulor would be equally efficient and helpful with your case, yo uknow? No snapbacks and attitude... Most people around here bitches about their late paycheck etc from VR... they could just email their consuler and politely ask what is up and want to make sure everthing is in the order and if they need to do anything to assist the process to be verifyed etc.

[sighing] nobody is grateful for the "free" money.

gnarlydorkette said:
[sighing] nobody is grateful for the "free" money.

Try singing o/~ We are VR! We are VR! o/~ to the hearing VR counselors and they will immediately and gratefully pay you to stop!

gnarlydorkette said:
Hm, My VR consuelor is allright. He is deaf so [shrug] no problems whatsoever. I have heard "bad" stories about him but so far I have no complaints about him.

I have to agree with you on the word "bad" because my VR is Deaf too.. and i have heard many "bad" stories about him... but he helps.. no problem..

I believe people are saying "bad" stories because of their expereience.. turned down cuz of funds.. so they think that couslor is "bad" really they're following the law, rules, policy.

most VR will be Very Helpful if you show great personality ( be involved, aggressive, challenge urself), show that you are having good grades (if for tution ), income lower than state standard rate.

If you guys want to have VR.. show them that you're serious about getting help.. don't just sit and wait for help from them or do nothing ( sitting watching t.v. expect that VR will find u a job for sure) u have to find a job urself too.. just work like a teamwork :D

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I have to agree with you on the word "bad" because my VR is Deaf too.. and i have heard many "bad" stories about him... but he helps.. no problem..

I believe people are saying "bad" stories because of their expereience.. turned down cuz of funds.. so they think that couslor is "bad" really they're following the law, rules, policy.

most VR will be Very Helpful if you show great personality ( be involved, aggressive, challenge urself), show that you are having good grades (if for tution ), income lower than state standard rate.

If you guys want to have VR.. show them that you're serious about getting help.. don't just sit and wait for help from them or do nothing ( sitting watching t.v. expect that VR will find u a job for sure) u have to find a job urself too.. just work like a teamwork :D
:werd: I hear it all the time. I've seen students here complain about their VR. They lose support and funds. In reality, those students didn't do good in school. There is one guy I know who got full support during his first year. He failed a bunch of classes so they cut his support in half for the second year. He started badmouthing them to his friends. He failed a bunch of classes again during his second year so they cut all of his support. He got pissed of and said it was unfair and threatened to sue. Jeez... get a life! :crazy:

DeafSCUBA98 said:

:werd: Depends on VR counselors are willing to help Deaf clients. I know a VR counselor in LV is very lousy. I am serious because many Deaf people complain about her. I never like her either. She does not help them at all. I hope someone will replace her.

Hi Sophia-

I am a rehab counselor and the director of a private agency that works with VR in finding jobs for persons who are Deaf and hard of hearing. Your situation is fairly common among people who use VR services. If you have never been a consumer of OVR in CA, they will probably want to get some background info on you. This will start will an interview and might lead to some tests such as audiological, physcial exam, etc. Much will depend on what you want from VR. The gentleman who coordinates services for all the counselors for the Deaf is Tim Beatty & he is a great guy, deaf himself, and very dedicated to getting services to those who need them. Not being in CA (tho I miss San Diego & La Jolla every day of my life!!), I don't know how the government's money problems is affecting how much service you might expect. Training is possible, but you really will have to show that you need it to succeed.

I have been working as a vendor with a state VR agency for over 12 years. I'd be happy t address any other questions folks have.

Oddball said:
:werd: Depends on VR counselors are willing to help Deaf clients. I know a VR counselor in LV is very lousy. I am serious because many Deaf people complain about her. I never like her either. She does not help them at all. I hope someone will replace her.

Oddball-

You have to make sure you (and other deaf) complain to the people who can make changes, like the VR supervisors and manages. My experience in NJ is that people will get the word out that there is a lousy counselor in an office & the deaf people who need services just saty away. That doesn't get the bad counselor replaced. Sometimes, that counselor can improve, but the Deaf community needs to let VR know they are not happy. If that doesn't get things changed, go to the stae dept. of labor to complain. If still nothing happens, find someone from the newspapers or TV who does 'human interest' stories. They love to be able to report about this kind of thing.

You have to make noise that makes VR sweat.

OBXBoy said:
Oddball-

You have to make sure you (and other deaf) complain to the people who can make changes, like the VR supervisors and manages. My experience in NJ is that people will get the word out that there is a lousy counselor in an office & the deaf people who need services just saty away. That doesn't get the bad counselor replaced. Sometimes, that counselor can improve, but the Deaf community needs to let VR know they are not happy. If that doesn't get things changed, go to the stae dept. of labor to complain. If still nothing happens, find someone from the newspapers or TV who does 'human interest' stories. They love to be able to report about this kind of thing.

You have to make noise that makes VR sweat.

Thank you for your suggestion. See my pm. :shock:

Back