Vizio won't show DVD CC; why?!

Other alternative is watch movies from torrent so I don't have deal with CC issues.

I have experience with 30ish, 40ish and 50ish Vizio TV, 40ish seems to best of all, the worst is 50ish or larger, they seems to have issues with CC, i tested done and proved Vizio SUCKS at cc, Samsung rocks!

Please give me the model numbers/brand names (BD players only) and I will look them up to see if they have a CC decoder built-in.

I will do later. It takes time.

Not all, unfortunately. I came across several documentary show on BR that does not have SDH and one of Jackie Chan movie combo that also does not come with SDH or subtitle. :roll:

Jackie Chan is old movie. Like copy film from 80's to 00's to blu-ray may not have SDH which they designed for CC in old time. Right now, most new film design for blu-ray which it come with SDH. I believe it.

Not sure what happened there - probably trying to save their budget. Some of documentary are history stories such as WWII, Rome, etc... which should be included SDH and there's no excuse for not adding SDH if they're trying to teach us on history thing.

Jackie Chan movies which I bought (I'm huge Jackie Chan fan) are called Miramax Double Feature: Supercop & Twin Dragons. I don't know why they wouldn't include SDH (their DVD have CC on them).

Always check with Blu-ray.com before buying.

I just wanted to point out that not all BR have SDH or subtitles as someone said ALL BR have that. That's all. :)
I understand, no problem. I am actually surprised that not all BD movies have SDH since they are not closed captioned due to HDMI design.

BTW, the link I posted previously may be useful for everyone to find out whether a BD movie has SDH or not before buying it since it is not returnable if opened. It MAY be exchanged if it is defective, not because it has no SDH.

I just wanted to point out that not all BR have SDH or subtitles as someone said ALL BR have that. That's all. :)

Jackie Chan is old movie. Like copy film from 80's to 00's to blu-ray may not have SDH which they designed for CC in old time. Right now, most new film design for blu-ray which it come with SDH. I believe it.

FYI, I just saw 1950 movie "Father of the Bride" (not Steve Martin one) on BR, it have SDH.

I don't think your theory is correct. It has something to do with distribution trying to save money and not have SDH or subtitle included in this BR.

I don't want to hijack this thread and agruing over theory why SDH/subtitle not included in BR.

FYI, I just saw 1950 movie "Father of the Bride" (not Steve Martin one) on BR, it have SDH.

I don't think your theory is correct. It has something to do with distribution trying to save money and not have SDH or subtitle included in this BR.

I don't want to hijack this thread and agruing over theory why SDH/subtitle not included in BR.

Or the manufacturers don't care about us. However they will have to comply when FCC's new law becomes effective.

Or the manufacturers don't care about us. However they will have to comply when FCC's new law becomes effective.

I don't see new law that cover on BD movies but they only cover online video and digital distrubtion only like Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, etc.

Yep, unfortunately (I said that word twice already...).

I don't see new law that cover on BD movies but they only cover online video and digital distrubtion only like Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, iTunes, etc.
I posted a link somewhere several times. BTW, if you remember, all new BD players and other STBs must include a built-in CC decoder starting on Jan 1, 2014. I believe that it also mentioned that video programmings (= softwares including BD movies) must be captioned so if a BD movie already has SDH, it's not required to include CC. That will be up to the manufacturers to choose SDH, CC or both.

I may be wrong. I just emailed my questions, "No subtitles/SDH on BD movie violates a current law?" and "If not, will there be a new law in near future?" to COAT so wait and see what they will say.

Last edited:
Currently, a few BD players have subtitles capability for Netflix streaming movies. You have to contact the company and ask what brands and models support its subtitles. Panasonic is one of the brands but not all of its models support it.

Good idea. I could do that

Catty

vizio dvd, no cc

Strange I am pretty sure Vizio was one of the few HDTV brand that does CC over compoments.

i have a 39" vizio hd tv. the cc does not highlight for dvds in hdmi mode. the dvd player is a new sony. fortunately i have 90 days. it's going back, for sure.

Back