Vizio won't show DVD CC; why?!

Component not working for CC.. get the RCA jacks (Red/white/yellow that would show CC on it.)

I agree...

component and HDMI are not friendly CC.
My DVD players won't work with CC by component cable.
Our FIOS HDTV Box - use component cable gave me better CC at non-HD TV program (TV CC is on and HDTV box's Caption is off).
If, I go with HD program then I have to use HDTV box's caption is on.

Thanks it works for some dvds but not all. Strangely enough for one in a boxset and not the others.
I tried other cc modes 2-4 and nothing. So frustrating!!!

Old news.

We use Mac mini thru HDMI to 42" LCD and no problem with CC for dvd player, hulu.com, and some itunes. I like Mac mini over AppleTV for more feature.

It may be old news, but it is a common issue even to this day.

Problems with CC

Check the DVD player to see if the progressive mode is enabled, if it is. Disable it or switch it to interlaced mode.

Yep that's what Banjo said, turn off the progressive, the player compressed would not show the CC. Don't buy if the setting don't have in the menu and get non-progressive DVD player.

Or if you have xbox 360, you can use to play DVD. the Xbox 360 don't have progressive mode.

My older DVD player don't have progressive :)

I tried that and it works with some dvds. Strangely enough I have two from the same box: works for one and not the other. It is so frustrating. My HDTV has more than one connector, so I am connecting it both to the component and the composite. No matter which I choose, no cc for those DVDs

Last edited:
Blame to M$. :roll:

Most dvd player/DVRs work fine with component video for CC.
What can cause the following behavior: cc works fine for some dvds (turning progressive off) and not others. I even have two from the same box. I know they do actually have cc because when I play them on my macbook I can see the captions.

my two hdtv component working with cc (green, blue,red,white and black) because picture's very good... quaitly my dvd player dont have cc setup.. just use movie dvd with subtitle working when i use movie dvd of dvd player not use subtitle, tv's cc off, tivo's cc off are working with cc if tv's cc on , tivo's cc on and dvd player's movie dvd subtilte on all cc multi into my tv.. i cant read two or three cc cause problem..that why of reason ..

Fix for VIZIO won't show captions... sometimes

Hi, I have a 42 inch Vizio TV hooked up to a Sony Bravia theater system. I had the same problem with some DVDs. One in particular was The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines. I could view it on an older TV (still an LCD) and an OLDER DVD and the captions would show. But on the big Vizio... no go. One of my sons does networking for a living and is very high tech and after some studying of the situation came up with a not so easy fix. First, HMDI cords don't like TV type Captions. That is what this particular Librarian movie had. The other Librarian movies had captions that worked fine because they are accessed by way of the main movie menu. The Solomon movie was NOT that way. It just had Spanish on the menu but the outside of the box said it was CC. Here's the fix:
1. Connect the DVD to the TV with BOTH an HDMI cable (for most movies) and the three wire, three color cable used on older sets (I forget the name of the cable). These cables have three wires. A yellow wire for the image (usually fatter like me)... BE SURE to connect that one to both the DVD and TV's AV inputs. And then a red and a white wire for the sound. If you use the sound from the TV as opposed to a theater system like I have you'll need to connect those. Make these connections from the DVD player to any of the "AV" connections on the back of the Vizio TV. I leave the audio unhooked because I use the Theater System for the sound but either way works... I tried it.
2. Now put the DVD into the player. After it loads set the output on the DVD player, there should be a button on the controller to adjust this. Most DVDs will autoload at 1080 dpi or higher but that won't work. Reset this to 780 X whatever the other setting is (I forget... maybe 420)... the lowest setting the DVD will accomodate.
3. Turn on the TV and go to the menu on the controller. Mine has buttons for AV, TV,HDMI, etc. input. Push AV and then scroll through the AV connections until you find the one that displays the movie. Now when you go to the Menu and scrool down to "Set Up" you should be able to find a line in the set up menu for Captions. Set it to "CC1". If the DVD is playing you should soon see the captions after a few seconds or a minute. These are NOT the usual SDH type but rather straight TV captions but better than nothing.
4. The movie will be letter boxed and smaller than the screen size. In most cases that I've tried, part of the problem is that the set looks for DVD type settings on the movie but sometimes the movie/DVD is really produced in TV settings. That's cool because by going back to the menu yet again you can set the image to one of the "zoom" settings and in many cases it will fill the entire screen better than most movies.
5. If this doesn't work... you may Email me for clarification at: bill@wclathan.com
I am Bill and I have a serious hearing loss due to 20 plus years of Minnier's Syndrome. I have some sign language ability but just enough to look like a jerk to those who really know ASL. I have an 80% loss on my left side and an 85% (maybe more because I just had a series of attacks and now my aid won't keep up) on the right side. The right side might improve with time as the irritation/over pressure or whatever goes away and allows some healing but I'll surely become more and more deaf as time goes by... When watching TV I am about 90% dependent on the captions. In normal conversation I have about a 40% comprehension so with the TV with strange voices, background music and sound effects... it is much lower and I really need the captions to figure out what's going on. In fact, sometimes I end up having to stop the movie and going back to catch captions I missed. So... this was, like it is to you, a serious problem and for my model of Vizio this works in all cases... so far. The only problem is to remember that NEXT TIME you watch a movie to go back and reset the output on the DVD player and then push the button for HDMI input with the controller :) Have a good one, Bill

Vizio won't show captions

Hi, I have a 42 inch Vizio TV hooked up to a Sony Bravia theater system. I had the same problem with some DVDs. One in particular was The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines. I could view it on an older TV (still an LCD) and an OLDER DVD and the captions would show. But on the big Vizio... no go. One of my sons does networking for a living and is very high tech and after some studying of the situation came up with a not so easy fix. First, HMDI cords don't like TV type Captions. That is what this particular Librarian movie had. The other Librarian movies had captions that worked fine because they are accessed by way of the main movie menu. The Solomon movie was NOT that way. It just had Spanish on the menu but the outside of the box said it was CC. Here's the fix:
1. Connect the DVD to the TV with BOTH an HDMI cable (for most movies) and the three wire, three color cable used on older sets (I forget the name of the cable). These cables have three wires. A yellow wire for the image (usually fatter like me)... BE SURE to connect that one to both the DVD and TV's AV inputs. And then a red and a white wire for the sound. If you use the sound from the TV as opposed to a theater system like I have you'll need to connect those. Make these connections from the DVD player to any of the "AV" connections on the back of the Vizio TV. I leave the audio unhooked because I use the Theater System for the sound but either way works... I tried it.
2. Now put the DVD into the player. After it loads set the output on the DVD player, there should be a button on the controller to adjust this. Most DVDs will autoload at 1080 dpi or higher but that won't work. Reset this to 780 X whatever the other setting is (I forget... maybe 420)... the lowest setting the DVD will accomodate.
3. Turn on the TV and go to the menu on the controller. Mine has buttons for AV, TV,HDMI, etc. input. Push AV and then scroll through the AV connections until you find the one that displays the movie. Now when you go to the Menu and scrool down to "Set Up" you should be able to find a line in the set up menu for Captions. Set it to "CC1". If the DVD is playing you should soon see the captions after a few seconds or a minute. These are NOT the usual SDH type but rather straight TV captions but better than nothing.
4. The movie will be letter boxed and smaller than the screen size. In most cases that I've tried, part of the problem is that the set looks for DVD type settings on the movie but sometimes the movie/DVD is really produced in TV settings. That's cool because by going back to the menu yet again you can set the image to one of the "zoom" settings and in many cases it will fill the entire screen better than most movies.
5. If this doesn't work... you may Email me for clarification at: bill@wclathan.com
I am Bill and I have a serious hearing loss due to 20 plus years of Minnier's Syndrome. I have some sign language ability but just enough to look like a jerk to those who really know ASL. I have an 80% loss on my left side and an 85% (maybe more because I just had a series of attacks and now my aid won't keep up) on the right side. The right side might improve with time as the irritation/over pressure or whatever goes away and allows some healing but I'll surely become more and more deaf as time goes by... When watching TV I am about 90% dependent on the captions. In normal conversation I have about a 40% comprehension so with the TV with strange voices, background music and sound effects... it is much lower and I really need the captions to figure out what's going on. In fact, sometimes I end up having to stop the movie and going back to catch captions I missed. So... this was, like it is to you, a serious problem and for my model of Vizio this works in all cases... so far. The only problem is to remember that NEXT TIME you watch a movie to go back and reset the output on the DVD player and then push the button for HDMI input with the controller :) Have a good one, Bill

PowerWCRulez:
Component not working for CC.. get the RCA jacks (Red/white/yellow that would show CC on it.)

I have 4 buttons switcher box for VP/XB360/TV(Cable/VCR)/DVD uses RCA jacks goes to back of tv. It's Radio Shack Video switcher box.

my westinghouse 26" and hitachi 32" both of hdtv's component build in.. working for cc no problem .. if hdmi for cc working no problem.too.

I have a Vizio 32" TV and my Blu player is hooked to both HDMI and Component. I use HDMI for discs that do have English subs, and component for CC only video. I get CC fine over component.

I have a Vizio 32" TV and my Blu player is hooked to both HDMI and Component. I use HDMI for discs that do have English subs, and component for CC only video. I get CC fine over component.
That's correct. It depends on TV brands, for example, my Sony HDTV won't decode CC when component video cables are used.

So you bought a right brand (Vizio) for that purpose.

Recommendation for deaf customers: read its manual first before purchasing a TV to make sure.

Please ignore this post since it is misinformation. Sorry about that. See post #53 below.

Last edited:
That's correct. It depends on TV brands, for example, my Sony HDTV won't decode CC when component video cables are used.

So you bought a right brand (Vizio) for that purpose.

Recommendation for deaf customers: read its manual first before purchasing a TV to make sure.

My HDTV is Vizio but no CC supported via component video cable.

My HDTV is Vizio but no CC supported via component video cable.

CPC Closed Captioning & Subtitling FAQ

When using a set-top DVD/Blu-ray player, the captions will not work if the player is connected by HDMI or high definition component (1080i/720p/480p). This is because HDMI does not support closed captions at all, and component only supports captions at standard definition (480i).

Try to change modes for component video output in your DVD player. Progressive scan is 480p and interlace scan is 480i so choose interlace scan. Also see post #13. I did that and it works but the picture quality is low due to 480i.

So it should work on any brand of TV. (my mistake about selected brands)

CPC Closed Captioning & Subtitling FAQ

Try to change modes for component video output in your DVD player. Progressive scan is 480p and interlace scan is 480i so choose interlace scan. Also see post #13. I did that and it works but the picture quality is low due to 480i.

So it should work on any brand of TV. (my mistake about selected brands)

ugh... I hate 480i.

I prefer to watch BD movies, download the HD movies with subtitles or record the HD movies with DVR.

480i is becoming past and no stores, exception of thrift store, carry SDTV anymore.

ugh... I hate 480i.

I prefer to watch BD movies, download the HD movies with subtitles or record the HD movies with DVR.

480i is becoming past and no stores, exception of thrift store, carry SDTV anymore.
Then why did you say no CC supported via component video? BD movies have NO CC anyway.

From the same link in my previous post:

What kind of closed captioning and/or subtitling is supported by Blu-ray?

Blu-ray currently supports subtitles only. There is no specification for adding closed captions to Blu-ray discs. For this reason, most commercial Blu-ray discs contain both regular subtitle tracks (dialogue only), and also SDH (Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing) tracks, which contain both dialogue and non-verbal audio cues.

My previous post is about DVD closed captioned movies which are 480i. I was not talking about BD. OK?

Then why did you say no CC supported via component video? BD movies have NO CC anyway.

From the same link in my previous post:

My previous post is about DVD closed captioned movies which are 480i. I was not talking about BD. OK?

All BD movies support SDH by default since released in 2006 because HDMI won't support CC from TV.

480i looks horrible on big HDTV because it is normal for LCD to have poor quality when it isn't maintain at native resolution. Most DVD today have subtitles or SDH now.

All BD movies support SDH by default since released in 2006 because HDMI won't support CC from TV.

480i looks horrible on big HDTV because it is normal for LCD to have poor quality when it isn't maintain at native resolution. Most DVD today have subtitles or SDH now.
I know. This thread is about watching DVD closed captioned movies via component video only from a DVD player. Is that clear?

I have DVD player hooked up with components to my Sony HDTV and I'm able to see DVD movies with closed caption. I'm not sure why Vizio HDTV wouldn't work. :-/

I have DVD player hooked up with components to my Sony HDTV and I'm able to see DVD movies with closed caption. I'm not sure why Vizio HDTV wouldn't work. :-/
What mode did you set up for that output?

I didn't set anything - I just hooked it to DVD player with components (I originally planned to hook AV component, but decided on "better" component) and play, it worked. *shrug*

Back