Vizio won't show DVD CC; why?!

That's very good to know because I was thinking about getting my son Xbox 360 for Christmas and also using as a DVD player. I think you can stream your Netflix to Xbox 360 too but it won't help us until Netflix pulls their heads out of their butts and captions their streaming movies!

This Vizio has just the one place to turn on CC for components and then also for Digital TV. I have both set to on and also both analog and digital CC set to on. Still no captions. DVD player doesn't even have a CC setting at all, just SDH. I should have researched better before I bought this DVD player. I just figured, hey, it's a Sony, never had CC trouble with their products before.

This Vizio has just the one place to turn on CC for components and then also for Digital TV. I have both set to on and also both analog and digital CC set to on. Still no captions. DVD player doesn't even have a CC setting at all, just SDH. I should have researched better before I bought this DVD player. I just figured, hey, it's a Sony, never had CC trouble with their products before.

What is wrong with SDH? It is for deaf and hoh and it works well. Or do the videos you want to see not have it?

Did you go into the menu setup, not the DVD menu for the DVD player?

What is wrong with SDH? It is for deaf and hoh and it works well. Or do the videos you want to see not have it?

There was a setting on there to have it automatically show SDH if available, instead of hitting subtitle button or go into DVD menu every time.

There was a setting on there to have it automatically show SDH if available, instead of hitting subtitle button or go into DVD menu every time.

So did you set it?

This is one frustration I have with technology moving on and leaving us in the dust. Closed Captions I think, do not transmit over a component or HDMI cable to a tv from a DVD player. I have experienced trying to watch DVDs that are cc-only and having to use my old Composite(yellow) cable to watch the DVD.
Try Composite cables, the yellow one. Blue, Red, Green is Component, which is HD. Composite/yellow isn't HD, which is a drawback and frustration of mine.

Last edited:
Even though I don't have HDTV yet but will have it soon as my basement is done. Planned to get 55" to 60" HDTV for it. Personally, from my experience, sometime DVD movies won't show CC instead of Subtitle. In few case, in DVD Movie menu, you might see "English -- Closed Captioned". I got it working. Some DVD movies won't show CC at all because it's not encoded for CC except Subtitles.

Why don't you try other DVD movies that have CC ready and test it. If it show CC on your Vizio, Then it's the blame to DVD movie, not DVD player. DVD player should be able to transmit encoded CC signal as long as DVD movie have it.

Also you might want to swap out to another good known working DVD player that CC works well. Test it. If it works fine on other DVD then it means that your DVD player is funky. My experience that everytime I watched movie with CC on, It dropped out CC in the middle of the movie. I had to "rewind" and play again and finally it stayed on. Sometime it was garbled after that. I decide to swap out DVD player (I have old Toshiba DVD player and PS2 gaming console as DVD player) Both DVD players have odd "personalty". PS2 did play movie well w/ CC all the way to end. Sometime It showed same symptoms like first DVD player. It means that DVD movie is screwed. You can return it to Movie rental place and swap it if they have another one.

So Try it.

Catty

I had tried to watch DVD movies on Xbox 360 with component cable and CC won't show from TV and Xbox 360 don't have option to turn CC on.

Component not working for CC.. get the RCA jacks (Red/white/yellow that would show CC on it.)

I have 4 buttons switcher box for VP/XB360/TV(Cable/VCR)/DVD uses RCA jacks goes to back of tv. It's Radio Shack Video switcher box.

Blame to M$. :roll:

Most dvd player/DVRs work fine with component video for CC.

As long there is an option for CC on the component video input on the TV. I noticed that on some TV models, they do not offer CC as an option on the video input, as stupid as that sounds.

As long there is an option for CC on the component video input on the TV. I noticed that on some TV models, they do not offer CC as an option on the video input, as stupid as that sounds.

I don't understand why they do that? It sounds so frustrated for Deaf people.

If your DVD player have S-Video use that instead of A/V for better video quality which is pretty close to component quality than A/V is

Yes, CC will go thru using S-Video for SURE.

So use S-Video if the DVD only have CC and no SDH or English Subtitle.

use component if SDH or English Subtitle is only available.

That's the case with my HDTV. no cc support for component or HDMI video input.

Yup, My HDTV don't have CC option for component cable.

Strange I am pretty sure Vizio was one of the few HDTV brand that does CC over compoments.

All cable should support transport of CC signal for example my AppleTV which has built in CC decoder is capble of displaying CC on HDTV via HDMI when the HDTV don't have built in CC support for HDMI. It has to be the device that must have built in decoder to overlay cc on the screen.

So check the source device.

All cable should support transport of CC signal for example my AppleTV which has built in CC decoder is capble of displaying CC on HDTV via HDMI when the HDTV don't have built in CC support for HDMI. It has to be the device that must have built in decoder to overlay cc on the screen.

So check the source device.

Old news.

We use Mac mini thru HDMI to 42" LCD and no problem with CC for dvd player, hulu.com, and some itunes. I like Mac mini over AppleTV for more feature.

Back