Vista?

chris' mom

Reaction score
When I bought my laptop maybe 2 years ago it came with a free up grade for Vista, I haven't installed it cause I don't deal with change well and I like XP. But I've been thinking about change it since that could be a baby step into getting over my fear of change. Pro's cons? I've heard you have to buy new programs such as excel and word for it, is that true? Anyways thanks for the advise and help

Windows 7 is better than Vista but wait to get full verison of it till 2010. So you can download free windows 7 beta.

Its up to you but there are many cons all about Vista. I had to reformat my laptop last night.

the laptop im currently typing on i bought about 3 years ago came with the free vista premium upgrade and i didnt install it. bought another smaller laptop that came with vista already on it about a year later and didnt like it. i stuck with xp on this one.

With the Window 7..how is that program? Do you have to replace your programs that I use with XP? Also I probably should back up all my pictures and music before changing uh?

I am not sure about Windows 7, but have seen some reviews here and they are mostly liked it, it is better off Vista than XP but for now, a lot of people perferred to be stuck with XP until a better OS is better than VISTA and XP. If you want to change OS, you can back up the pictures to an DVD (better off this way, if you have only CD but it will take many many CDs to transfer all the files but DVD is better) otherwise to an external HDD.

always a good idea to back up any files or pics and anything you dont want to lose just to be on the safe side in case something happens and you lose it all.

No offense but...fuck Vista.

Stick with Windows XP for afew more years.

When I bought my laptop maybe 2 years ago it came with a free up grade for Vista, I haven't installed it cause I don't deal with change well and I like XP. But I've been thinking about change it since that could be a baby step into getting over my fear of change. Pro's cons? I've heard you have to buy new programs such as excel and word for it, is that true? Anyways thanks for the advise and help

FYI, any pc or laptop which are two years old may have issue with Vista. Some would work just fine, some don't work. There are lawsuit happened that Manufacturer slapped "Vista Ready" label when it can only run Vista Basic, not Vista Premium and Ultimate. Some can cause performance go worst if Vista installed.

The only way you want to be sure if it's ready for Vista or Windows 7 is to download and run Vista Upgrade Advisor to help you to determine if your laptop is Vista ready or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

My 3 years old Acer Aspire laptop is Vista Ready (sticker label was slapped on it) ,when I tested it and it show that memory needed be upgraded and require 128mb graphic memory or more (it is shared video). I upgraded my laptop memory very recently to 2 GB and maxed out graphic memory to 256mb shared. I ran Vista Upgrade Advisor and it passed all parameter and would accept Vista Premium. (I don't need Vista Ultimate!).

If I were you, I'd wait for Windows 7 to come out and upgrade it. Basically, Windows 7 have same hardware requirement like Vista. It's a slimmed down "Vista" which give 60% performance improvement. Would that make you feel any better?

Or Join the Linux Bandwagon??

Catty

Back