Virgin Mobile - $25 data Plan a month!

I agree with John57. This VM thing is great. Sooo glad I got them. The touch screen is nice. The google map ap helped me find my way when I was lost in the country recently. In the past I have used Cellular One, Alltel and Verizon. This VM is by far the best yet. My daughter has an android phone and mine can do so many of the same things. Of course, her phone is well over 100 per month and she has tons of cool aps. Whoopee. Mine is really fun and may I repeat - 25 a month.
IP relay, IM, text, messaging, games, decent cam, everything I need, a lot of extras and fast too.

Read the ad more carefully where

it says that you have to pay $10 more monthly for Blackberry :aw:

Yep, and I believe that HTC EVO 4G also have a surcharge on sprint relay. Cricket also have a data surcharge on Blackberry. I used to have a Blackberry for 4 years and I was not impressed by it.
it says that you have to pay $10 more monthly for Blackberry :aw:

True that BB is 10 dollars more. Big deal. If you need such a device then the 10 extra is nothing compared to other plans. Just the taxes and other what-are-those charges equalled more than this extra 10.
I was looking at the deaf phone plans before. The charge was 29.99 per month but the extra fees totalled the true cost of about 50 per month. If you did use voice (like my kid grabs the phone) on the deaf plan it was blocked or you went to a very much higher cost.
IMHO the BB fee is very reasonable.

How come no one say that

Sprint Relay Store plan is $29.99 monthly before taxes even including Blackberry? Also, I believe Sprint Relay Store plan has more and better coverage than Virgin Mobile. I checked out Virgin Mobile coverage for Maryland which is just strong enough for regular phone but not data phone. Not trying to make trouble but to point out facts.

LDNanna - By the way, I just found out that my Sprint Relay Store plan even includes anytime minutes which is good for your kids. :P But I did not test to see if this is true.

HDC EVO 4G is another story. :aw:

i just meant not alot of feature on LG rumor.
Email and IMs are OK and picture is not viewing, u had to go to yahoo from opera mini or to the web theS type yahoo.com.

Texting is good but when someone sent me the video to view but it said, "Display cannot be view". Except picture works fine, strange. And i like the bubble show up on screen to see who send u email or text msg even voice calls.

Sorenson relay set up wont work on LG rumor only blackberry except AIM works fine like Sprintrelay.

Opera mini browser is fast which i liked it.

Overall is OK, not too bad. Again, 25 dollars a month is a good deal.

Last edited:
The coverage maps for Virgin Mobile and Sprint are the same in the few states I have compared it to and that includes Maryland that I can see. The difference is that Virgin Mobile does not have Roaming available period. I have a few friends that are with Sprint get charged for roaming from time to time even in the Sprint local calling area.

I used to have a Blackberry under Sprint Relay a few years ago and it turn out to be a ripoff since Sprint Relay refused to honor the PAM feature as stated in the contract. None of the support in Sprint Relay including the Regional manger were willing to help me. I went to a local Sprint store and transfered the account from the Sprint Relay system which was different at the time to the local system so that the PAM feature would be supported. It was a mess. You just have to be careful with Sprint Relay even today the contracts are a bit different depending on which phone you get.

Sprint Relay Store plan is $29.99 monthly before taxes even including Blackberry? Also, I believe Sprint Relay Store plan has more and better coverage than Virgin Mobile. I checked out Virgin Mobile coverage for Maryland which is just strong enough for regular phone but not data phone. Not trying to make trouble but to point out facts.

LDNanna - By the way, I just found out that my Sprint Relay Store plan even includes anytime minutes which is good for your kids. :P But I did not test to see if this is true.

HDC EVO 4G is another story. :aw:

Yagazn - I had sip relay, but went back to another one I preferred. (Yes it was on aim too) The little rumor touch did seem to work fine. Are you viewing the yahoo under email and im ap? If not, it is free to download from VM.

I had a very bad visit with Sprint Relay. Not the Sprint fault though, just a salesperson. That and the very low cost of VM was a good decision maker for me. The actual cost of Sprint Relay Store would be about 50 per month according to other deaf friends who have it. My VM seems quite comparable and so easy to use too. Of course no front camera but my relay is fine.

It is so nice to see FB and Alldeaf on the VM phone. Still no coverage issues. It is actually better than other services I've tried.

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear that

some of you had bad experiences with Sprint Relay Store. I still stand by what I said, but apparently Sprint Relay Store is inconsistent with its services to the deaf people. Apparently, it depends on who you talk to. Also, I think there is a breakdown in communications. It is true that it depends on which phone you are buying, but I am talking about the simple Blackberry Curve or Tour, not HDC EVO 4G. Hope Sprint Relay Store reads alldeaf.com and improve its relationship with deaf.

I image that the same thing is going on with Sorenson.

Yagazn - I had sip relay, but went back to another one I preferred. (Yes it was on aim too) The little rumor touch did seem to work fine. Are you viewing the yahoo under email and im ap? If not, it is free to download from VM.
Yagazn: I did have yahoo under email and IMs. I use google talk (GTALK) to call sprintrelay which works fine but I like sorenson better on my blackberry cuz it was fast, it should be on LG rumor touch too :( but that's OK, at least I'm glad to have relay on AIM/IMs that's importantly things to have it on LG rumor touch.

:ty:

I got Samsung Intercept with android. HMMM, it is alright. If Blackberry Curve 8530 is on sale then I will get it. So far, I have two now. I will be selling my LG rumor touch maybe on EBay or Craigslist. I haven't tried selling things on EBay.

Last edited:
25 dollars per month does look very good, better than 30-50 bucks per month if you use Sprint Relay?

Do you know a good estimate for fees and taxes for Sprint and VM? Taxes per month? One-time fees? >.< Let's say I'm ordering in Massachusetts.

Cell phone Taxes by State | AskStudent

Most of us complain of the high cell phone taxes which our state charges after their Federal, Local and State taxes. So, how does one reduce their cell phone taxes? Apparently cell phone carriers charge by their customers cell phone number area code and not their billing address. So, in this list, we have cell phone taxes by state listed. Choose the state with the lowest amount of tax and where you might get an address and reduce your cell phone bill.
In this list, all states charge a Federal Excise tax of 3.0% and Federal USF tax of 2.48%. The only cell phone tax that would vary per state is the State-Local Tax. So, here is the list of Cell Phone taxes by State in the United States.
The list is based on
#. State Name: State Local Tax %, Total Cell Phone Tax %, Highest Cell phone tax rank.
NOTE: The higher the Cell phone tax rank the better. In this case, Nevada with rank 51 gives you the lowest cell phone taxes whereas New York with Rank 1 charges the highest cell phone taxes in the country.
1. Alabama 7.45%, Total cell phone tax 12.93%, Rank: 32
2. Alaska 4.05%, Total Cell phone tax 9.53%, Rank: 47
3. Arizona: 11.06%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 16.54%, Rank: 14
4. Arkansas: 10.21%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.69%, Rank: 19
5. California: 13.18%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 18.66, Rank: 9
6. Colorado: 9.37%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 14.85%, Rank: 23
7. Connecticut: 6.41%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.89%, Rank: 39
8. Delaware: 5.49%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 10.97%, Rank: 44
9. Washingon DC: 12.57%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 18.05%, Rank: 10
10. Florida: 16.12%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 21.60%, Rank: 2
11. Georgia: 7.64%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.12%, Rank: 29
12. Hawaii: 6.14%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.62%, Rank: 40
13. Idaho: 2.23%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 7.71%, Rank: 49
14. Illinois: 15.57%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 21.05%, Rank: 4
15. Indiana: 9.62%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.10%, Rank: 21
16. Iowa: 6.53%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 12.01%, Rank: 36
17. Kansas: 10.32%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.80%, Rank: 17
18. Kentucky: 9.98%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.46%, Rank: 20
19. Louisiana: 4.39% , Total Cell Phone Tax: 9.87%, Rank: 46
20. Maine:6.53%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 12.01%, Rank: 37
21. Maryland:7.07%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 12.55%, Rank: 34
22. Massachusetts:5.63%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.11%, Rank: 42
23. Michigan: 7.07%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 12.55%, Rank: 35
24. Minnesota: 8.10, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.58%, Rank: 25
25. Mississippi: 9.07%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 14.55%, Rank: 24
26. Missouri: 11.12%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 16.60%, Rank:13
27. Montana: 4.99%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 10.47%, Rank:45
28. Nebraska: 15.13%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 20.61%, Rank:5
29. Nevada: 1.14%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 6.62%, Rank:51
30. New Hampshire: 7.87%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.35%, Rank: 26
31. New Jersey: 6.00%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.48%, Rank: 41
32. New Mexico: 7.63% , Total Cell Phone Tax:13.11 %, Rank: 30
33. New York: 16.23%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 21.71%, Rank: 1
34. North Carolina: 7.65%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.13%, Rank: 28
35. North Dakota: 10.94% , Total Cell Phone Tax: 16.42%, Rank: 15
36. Ohio: 7.63%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.11%, Rank: 31
37. Oklahoma: 9.58%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.06%, Rank: 22
38. Oregon: 2.27%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 7.75%, Rank: 48
39. Pennsylvania: 13.57%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 19.05%, Rank: 8
40. Rhode Island: 14.07% , Total Cell Phone Tax: 19.55%, Rank: 7
41. South Carolina: 6.50%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.98%, Rank: 38
42. South Dakota: 12.01, Total Cell Phone Tax: 17.49%, Rank: 11
43. Tennessee: 11.57%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 17.05%, Rank: 12
44. Texas: 14.19%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 19.67%, Rank: 6
45. Utah: 10.25%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 15.73%, Rank: 18
46. Vermont: 7.27%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 12.75%, Rank: 33
47. Virginia: 7.75%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 13.23%, Rank: 27
48. Washington: 16.04%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 21.52%, Rank: 3
49. West Virginia: 1.94%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 7.42%, Rank: 50
50. Wisconsin: 5.55%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.03%, Rank: 43
51. Wyoming: 10.67, Total Cell Phone Tax: 16.15%, Rank: 16
7. Rhode Island 14.07%, Total cell phone tax 19.55%

Do you know a good estimate for fees and taxes for Sprint and VM? Taxes per month? One-time fees? >.< Let's say I'm ordering in Massachusetts.

Cell phone Taxes by State | AskStudent

Most of us complain of the high cell phone taxes which our state charges after their Federal, Local and State taxes. So, how does one reduce their cell phone taxes? Apparently cell phone carriers charge by their customers cell phone number area code and not their billing address. So, in this list, we have cell phone taxes by state listed. Choose the state with the lowest amount of tax and where you might get an address and reduce your cell phone bill.
In this list, all states charge a Federal Excise tax of 3.0% and Federal USF tax of 2.48%. The only cell phone tax that would vary per state is the State-Local Tax. So, here is the list of Cell Phone taxes by State in the United States.
The list is based on
#. State Name: State Local Tax %, Total Cell Phone Tax %, Highest Cell phone tax rank.
NOTE: The higher the Cell phone tax rank the better. In this case, Nevada with rank 51 gives you the lowest cell phone taxes whereas New York with Rank 1 charges the highest cell phone taxes in the country.

22. Massachusetts:5.63%, Total Cell Phone Tax: 11.11%, Rank: 42

don't be like matajan. you can figure it out for yourself.

$26.50 a month with fees. Virgin Mobile

really!? I did paid 25.00 that all. no extra fee or stuff. we see about it this month when my payment is due. I also own Samsung intercept :D and it awesome and more functionality if you installed it with Task killer and SetCpu making 1ghz!:naughty: Now this phone is better than iphone! XD

really!? I did paid 25.00 that all. no extra fee or stuff. we see about it this month when my payment is due. I also own Samsung intercept :D and it awesome and more functionality if you installed it with Task killer and SetCpu making 1ghz!:naughty: Now this phone is better than iphone! XD

Iowa here. It did charge me $26.50 for the month. But I am very happy with that. Much cheaper than anything before.

Back