[VID]The Greatest Irony

Oh come on. Don't let a few moronic posts around here chase you off. Just let it be an unfortunate but necessary preparation for what you're going to face from some people as Lilly grows up.

Where I work, all students are accepted by one another -- CI, oral, signing, whatever. If they have a CI and they sign, so much the better. It's not so black and white everywhere, for everyone.

This place can get under your skin, but there's a world of difference between a person hiding behind a screen name comfortably and anonymously insulting you with no consequences, and a person seeing your beautiful daughter and her loving father face to face -- especially as Lilly grows up with fluency in both English and ASL.

Well said. As a Deaf person, I am aware that there are people who are "strongly opposed" to cochlear implants, oralism, etc. Believe me, I know a lot about it.

The problem with some of these people is due to insecurity issues, but some of them do have valid concerns about the ethics of the technology and how it's being pushed onto some families. What Lilly's Dad is doing is a great thing by exposing her to ASL and other deaf people. If they aren't exposed to other deaf people, they will grow up feeling like they're missing something.

It's nice to have friends who share something in common which is deafness. It gives each other a better understanding of what it's like.

I just wish Lilly's Dad wouldn't give up this fast, my parents has done much, much more than you can possibly imagine. No offense, but they do understand what you mean. Their experiences turned out to be more positive than negative if they know the right people. They are hearing and they started learning sign language for me when I was a child and exposed me to the deaf community and the culture.

I couldn't had asked for better parents.

I was referring to deaf culture who treat you with disrespect because you are hearing and all , cussing at you and everything just because they didn't like how you handle your daughter. I am telling you pay no attention to them. I didn't mean all deaf people.

We only speak out to make sure the parents do not take the same path that our parent made. Nothing wrong with that is it? And we don't like it when Audiologist tell parents that oral is the only way to go. We want tell doctors and Audiologist not to give parents that advice since they seek for their advice as the final decision. Just trying to be heard that's all. Reality, deaf people want both ASL and Oral communication.

I was referring to deaf culture who treat you with disrespect because you are hearing and all , cussing at you and everything just because they didn't like how you handle your daughter. I am telling you pay no attention to them. I didn't mean all deaf people.

We only speak out to make sure the parents do not take the same path that our parent made. Nothing wrong with that is it? And we don't like it when Audiologist tell parents that oral is the only way to go. We want tell doctors and Audiologist not to give parents that advice since they seek for their advice as the final decision. Just trying to be heard that's all. Reality, deaf people want both ASL and Oral communication.

U r so right! If the parents who want their deaf child to be oral-only don't want to listen to us, let them be. I have spent countless hours explaining to many parents the importance of sign language and most of the time they dismiss me as being biased. As if my experiences growing up without ASL doesn't count so I am not gonna bother with them. It is those who r open to any suggestions or take older deaf people's advice to heart, that I will be more than happy to use my time to help them with raising a happy and confident deaf child.

Don't worry about it if parents bash at u for trying to explain your experiences. Just ignore them and focus on the ones that won't do that to u.

just posting this revised part 2 video...

[yt]oCmnuMB9Pjk[/yt]

The reason for revision as shown as per Amy on her vlog page;
POST SCRIPT: This Part Two video is edited. By request, the specific sequence of Mother signing to her baby is removed. This sequence was not from the Baby Signs program, but it is from the Sign2Me program.

The video in question that was removed is on youtube as shown below;
[yt]7gSZfW4gVhI[/yt]

Last edited:
Back