Veteran says he was repeatedly put on hold by veterans' suicide hotline

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Hotline has problems with handling number of calls

He put himself in danger to protect our country, but when he needed help to save his own life all he got was a recorded message.

Ted Koran was thinking about committing suicide Saturday night.

He reached out to the VA and the Veterans Suicide Hotline for help, but said he couldn't get any until after he was repeatedly put on hold for up to 10 minutes at time.
Veterans in Crisis: Vets put on hold for 36 minutes

His case is just the latest the I-Team has been exposing for months now.

When the Veterans Crisis Hotline was first set up by the VA in 2007, it averaged 60 calls a day on four manned phone lines.

Now, 52 operators at a time field about a thousand calls a day, and that's not always even enough to keep some veterans on the verge of suicide from being placed on hold.

“My wife and I saved them, and they saved me,” Tom Koran said.

He said the 60 rescue animals he cares for are the only reason he's here today.

Late Saturday night, he had an emotional breakdown.

“I was missing my wife,” he said.

Koran's wife Karen died of cancer six months ago and he was so depressed he considered ending it all.

INVESTIGATION: VA call center often ignored homeless veterans

“I went to the only place that I knew and that I had available to me, the VA,” Koran said.

The U.S. Air Force veteran first called the James Haley VA Center in Tampa, where a recording gave him the 800 number to the hotline.

Koran said he was placed on hold for 10 minutes.

“I had to sit there patiently, in emotional distress, in tears, wanting to give up, desperately needing someone to talk to,” Koran said.

Koran said he hung up and redialed the number two more times.

“They had me on the [verge] of saying to hell with it,” he said.

Koran said when he actually reached a counselor, she did very little to comfort him.

A Scripps national investigation recently uncovered that calls to the veterans hotline often overloaded the system and had to be rerouted to other call centers, while vets' calls were placed on hold.

One veteran recorded being on hold 36 minutes.

“We're asking for more staff and better technology,” the director of the call center told Scripps.

More than a thousand veterans contact that hotline every day.

On average, 22 veterans a day commit suicide, or about one every 65 minutes.

“The very ones that are supposed to be there for me let me down,” said Koran.
Koran said he's lucky his rescue animals came to his rescue.

He doesn't believe all veterans will be so lucky.

The VA is hoping new technology and more funding from Congress allow them to fix all of the problems at the hotline within the next six months.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...tedly-put-on-hold-by-veterans-suicide-hotline

:mad: How horrible ! I had a client that was a wounded vet , he lost a leg and told how he felt the government didn't care about him being lonely and depress. this was in the 90's s you would think things would be better now not worst.

Sad. One of my husband's Army buddies committed suicide in February. My husband stays in touch with many from his unit, especially on FB.

22 a day that awful...we have Samaritans and I know people from all over the world phone them

Read where Florida was the worst for a Veteran trying to get an appt. for health care also....Several months before they could....Something needs to be done here.

And also...Meals on Wheels for the elderly and Veterans?...On a looooong waiting List!...They say "We're waiting for the government to release the funds"....In the meantime??...The elderly and Veterans are committing suicide.

That is very sad situation. I imagine as far as getting through to any other suicide prevention hotline may well be the same, being put on hold. He probably didn't even think of trying a different hotline, or even a buddy.

That is very sad situation. I imagine as far as getting through to any other suicide prevention hotline may well be the same, being put on hold. He probably didn't even think of trying a different hotline, or even a buddy.

I asked my client if he had any war buddies to talk to and he said they were all killed in the war . :( I was thinking that too about trying another hotline . There is no excuse for this to be happening , our vets were told they would get all the help they needed when they got back home . All it was lies ! :(

Read where Florida was the worst for a Veteran trying to get an appt. for health care also....Several months before they could....Something needs to be done here.

We have heard similar sentiment from Reba time and time again.....

What you expect from bureaucrats? They always put you on hold. They waste your time. And just like you apply for a bank loan they make you wait days weeks or even months before they get back to you.

Very sad. I see it first hand with my 90 year old grandpa vet of WWII. VA is a nightmare.

Back