Very confused please help

Salman

Reaction score
Hi every one

My name is Salman im 32 years old with meniere's disease bilateral hearing loss severe profound in right and severe in the left , make the story short i been advised to go for implant in one of the ears by my doc im not really benefiting form the hearing aid the sound is so metallic distort i rarely understand the speech without the lips reading but some how i feel good with it its like better than nothing i was wearing linx2 form resound and recently about an year i switched to halo Starkey with up power. i have few question put in mind that i used to hear normal and my hearing been lost gradually.

1- I work as operation manager i used mobile conversations alot during the day and i like the idea of streaming the calls through my iPhone to my hearing aid what if i used the implant would i be able to do that with the hearing aid in my left year and the implant in right ear at the same time ?

2- do i have to change my hearing aid brand i know that AB can use the hearing aid phonak accessories and it work fine with it Cochlear used resound but what about MEDEL i looked in the website and no info ?

3- im very afraid of the operation i have 0 pain tolerance and seriously speaking at this age i wouldn't go to the hospital unless im really sick how many days i need till i recover ? dose the pain killers works good ? i asked my doc that i need to stay at the hospital at least 2 days although my partner will be with me at home but im so afraid of going home same day of the surgery
default_sad.png

4- i love love love love music some how although i dont enjoy the full sound of the music with my hearing aid but some how i can listen to it by streaming it directly to my ear im so confused that some ppl say it dont sound good after the implant and my doc say ill be hearing just like before noting will change but it might takes time now how good is it dose it worth all of this pain i feel like i can live with what i have not because im happy with it but i can afford losing the music sound and afraid of the pain

Im so sorry about the long post i know every body has different experience but where i live (dubai) not alot of ppl has the surgery and there is no meeting groups or so , i really hope some one would advice me on what to do
default_sad.png

Note i feel like my doc is trying to push me towards MEDEL while im more into tech and wireless and some thing is telling me go for Cochlear because its better for you

I was implanted early this year with AB, partly because I already have the Phonak accessories as I've been wearing Phonaks for several years.

AB/Phonak has a new hearing aid that communicates with the CI (it's called Link) which I recently got. When I go back for my CI mapping in Sept I will have the durphone switched on and I should be able to hear the phone in both ears while I hold the phone to my CI ear (using the T-mic which hangs in front of the ear canal).

You cannot stream to both the CI and the hearing aid, unless you get the CI & Link from AB/Phonak. I'm listening to the TV in both ears, with the Compilot and TVLink, right now.

I feel I'm hearing music pretty good (note that I'm not a picky music listener :p ).

Not that I'm promoting AB, as that is a individual choice, but you might want to go to hearingjourney.com (you have to register) which is AB's forum and ask your questions there. There are many knowledgeable people there and there are some who have other brand CIs. They are very welcoming to people who are trying to decide which brand to go with.

As to pain, I seem to have a good tolerance, I only took the prescription meds the first night just to make sure I slept ok. After that I took OTC pain meds, as needed, for maybe 2 or 3 days....before the pain had a chance to get bad. I had my surgery around noon and left the hospital around 4 pm. We had spent the previous night at a hotel, so we took the commuter train/subway back to the hospital and checked out and drove an hour home. I was fine. Of course, I know everyone experiences things differently, so I'm not saying you'll have the same as I. That's why it's good to talk to others. I think Cochlear has a FB group, but not sure. I know AB does. Don't know about MedEl

Thank you that helped with procedure questions but still confused with music

I have an implant in one ear and HA in another ear. I have Cochlear and use their bluetooth device they have to stream music/calss to my implant only because it doesn't work with the Phonak HA I have (I have to get a ReSound HA for it to work). For me personally, music quality is worlds better than my HAs alone were. You don't realize how much range you're missing until you have an implant. I also have Bose over-the-ear headphone that I sometimes use for music/calls and feel that it's almost better than the bluetooth device.

As far as the pain, I have a very high pain tolerance. I only used 2 of the pain pills after surgery and that's only because some family drama made me ticked off and I needed to reduce the swelling. Otherwise, it was a pretty easy and painless surgery for myself. I'd have no issues getting my second ear done should I ever decide to.

Back