Vegas woman dies after backroom cosmetic surgery

rockin'robin

Reaction score
LAS VEGAS – With her smooth skin and wavy, honeyed hair, Elena Caro was celebrated as a beauty by her husband and teenage daughter, who often told her that she didn't need cosmetic surgery.

But at 42, Caro wanted firmer skin and a younger figure, so she secretly booked an appointment with a medical office recommended by a close friend.

The quest for perfection might have ended her life, police said.

Caro was found walking the streets of Las Vegas in agony Saturday after buttocks enhancement surgery that authorities say was performed by two Colombian nationals in the back room of a tile business.

She was pronounced dead minutes later at North Vista Hospital in North Las Vegas. Her cause of death was not immediately determined, pending toxicology tests and an investigation.

Ruben Dario Matallana-Galvas, 55, and Carmen Olfidia Torres-Sanchez, 47, were arrested hours after the surgery for investigation of murder, police said.

The husband and wife were being held without bail at Clark County jail pending a court appearance on Tuesday. It was not immediately clear if they had lawyers.

Las Vegas homicide chief Lt. Lew Roberts said backroom clinics can be found across Sin City. But he said there hadn't been any deaths involving unlicensed physicians in at least six years.

"The tragic thing about this case is that this isn't an isolated incident of somebody going to an unlicensed alleged medical facility," he said.

Matallana-Galvas and Torres-Sanchez had purchased airplane tickets to return to their native Columbia on April 22 but were trying to catch an earlier flight at McCarran International Airport when they were arrested, police said.

Neither suspect had a license to practice medicine in Nevada, officials said. Matallana-Galvas told police he was a homeopathic doctor in Colombia.

Under questioning, he also told detectives he injected Caro with a gel substance, and she was able to walk away from his office after the procedure, according to a police report.

However, Elizabeth Flores, an aide to Matallana-Galvas, told police he had called and said something had gone wrong, and Flores had her husband drive him and his wife to the airport, the police report said.

Caro's daughter, 17-year-old Janet Villalovos, told The Associated Press that her family had begged Caro not to undergo cosmetic surgery.

However, encouraged by a friend who said she had successfully received buttocks enhancement surgery from Matallana-Galvas, Caro booked an appointment for facial Botox injections with him earlier this month.

When no complications arose, Caro quickly scheduled the buttocks surgery. She told only her daughter because she was worried that her husband, brother and sister would be too critical of the procedure and try to talk her out of it.

That morning, Villalovos said, she drove her mother to the makeshift medical office and gave Matallana-Galvas a warning.

"I told them, take care of her, please," Villalovos recalled. "He told me everything is going to be fine. Don't worry."

Villalovos watched the doctor and his wife inject one shot into her mother's buttocks. The sight made her squeamish, so she told her mother she was leaving and would return in four hours when the procedure was done. An hour later, her mother called to say everything was going well.

Later, her mother didn't answer repeated calls, Villalovos said.

When Villalovos returned to the makeshift medical office, it was locked and appeared abandoned. She asked Gilbert Estrada, the owner of Tiles and More, to unlock the door. Inside, the bed, curtains and curtain rods that had filled the room that morning were gone.

Estrada said Matallana-Galvas rented the small office two weeks ago and had said he would relocate by the end of the month.

"They were looking for a bigger place to serve more people," Estrada said in Spanish.

Caro was already dead when her daughter began searching for her, according to an arrest report. Onlookers had called emergency officials, who picked her up in an ambulance and took her to the hospital.

Roberts said police do not know how Caro ended up in the remote area but suspect she was dropped off there.

Matallana-Galvas said he had told Caro he didn't have the proper equipment to perform the procedure but did it anyway, according to the arrest report.

Nevada had no information on file on him or his wife, said Douglas C. Cooper, executive director of the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners.

Police are looking for other possible victims.

Wailing family members gathered Monday at Caro's house, where photos of her were displayed alongside a rosary and a row of candles adorned with Catholic saints.

Villalovos said she and her mother did not know Matallana-Galvas was not a licensed doctor, although his office walls did not bear any certificates, licenses or diplomas.

Villalovos said she trusted him because he treated her mother professionally and with authority.

"It was not her time to go yet," Villalovos said.

Vegas woman dies after backroom cosmetic surgery - Yahoo! News

I am sure there will be a huge crackdown on these shade tree cosmetic surgeons. Unfortunately many people don't ask for proper credentials such as a medical school diploma and board certifications by well known medical boards. Also - the location of the office should be a give away. If it's in a backroom of a tile business - that should raise some red flags and to look elsewhere. Also if they give you a ridiculously good deal that seems too good to be true - it probably is. Walk away.

I feel bad for this woman as well as her family. It's sad that this woman had to learn her lesson the hard way and leave a grieving family behind.

I also hope they catch these so-called doctors and hand them a very heavy sentence. It is obvious that when they realized something went wrong that they took the woman to a remote place and got plane tickets out of the country hoping to leave before being arrested.

Good Lord. My heart breaks for her grieving family. But who in their right minds goes ahead with cosmetic surgery in the back room of a tile shop????

The mind boggles.

If she is not satisfied with her face, want to be young, she better of die.

Believe the story said she had surgery on her "buttocks"...perhaps she also planned to have it on her face later.

I thought she had done face with botox just to make sure it was safe in that clinic.

Right, she had the face done first, then went back for her backside.

Even so, when she saw it was a tile shop, I don't understand why she didn't turn around immediately and go find a proper doctor! Trying to save money? Trying to keep it from her husband? This I don't understand. If anyone is coming anywhere near me with plans to inject something into me or cut open my body, saving money and/or keeping it from my husband would be the last thing I'd ever want to do.

I just don't understand people's thinking when they get into situations like this.

When are some people going to learn its not worth putting their life at risk just to save a few bucks?

Right, she had the face done first, then went back for her backside.

Even so, when she saw it was a tile shop, I don't understand why she didn't turn around immediately and go find a proper doctor! Trying to save money? Trying to keep it from her husband? This I don't understand. If anyone is coming anywhere near me with plans to inject something into me or cut open my body, saving money and/or keeping it from my husband would be the last thing I'd ever want to do.

I just don't understand people's thinking when they get into situations like this.
I agree. I want a professional building with all the diplomas and certificates posted. Also, even if I'm paying cash, I want to know if the doctor accepts insurance because that's a sign (not proof, but a sign) that he's not just a cash under the table kind of business.

I would never have any kind of surgery or procedure without informing Hubby. If he doesn't go with me, I expect him to at least know where I'm at.

Good Lord. My heart breaks for her grieving family. But who in their right minds goes ahead with cosmetic surgery in the back room of a tile shop????

The mind boggles.

Agreed. She bears some responsibility in her own fate based on the decisions she willingly made.

Agreed. She bears some responsibility in her own fate based on the decisions she willingly made.

I agree, what she chose to do wasn't illegal, but it wasn't right either. However the Hispanic couple that set this up know what they were doing is VERY illegal and they now face the possibility of life behind bars with no possibility of parole.

Perhaps, she should get to see doctor for check-out first before have cosmetic surgery.

I agree, what she chose to do wasn't illegal, but it wasn't right either. However the Hispanic couple that set this up know what they were doing is VERY illegal and they now face the possibility of life behind bars with no possibility of parole.

True. Unfortunately, when you place your first prioritiy in looking a particular way, and are willing to sugically achieve that standard, you are setting yourself to be exploited.

True. Unfortunately, when you place your first prioritiy in looking a particular way, and are willing to sugically achieve that standard, you are setting yourself to be exploited.

Very sad but true. It's not just the cosmetic surgery industry, it can show up in other industries as well such as modeling. The models often starve themselves to dangerously thin levels to achieve that stick thin body and often it turns into a vicious cycle where the model often causes irreparable damage to themselves such as osteoporosis, organ damage, self harm, damage to the digestive system and so on. Just so they can look a certain way.

It also happens in the acting and music industry where executives expect you to look your absolute best year-round or they have to change their body shape to be typecast into a specific role. (50-cent is reportedly on a liquids only diet and spends 3-5 hours a day on a treadmill in a bid to look like a pale and painfully thin football player that's battling cancer for a movie role, any sane person would say this is a dangerous diet)

I think there needs to be more regulation and guidelines on this cosmetic industry before we have more cases like we have just seen. Kind of like how medicine evolved rapidly at the end of the 1800s and into the 1900s. Before regulation, anyone could post a sign out their door and be called a doctor. After government regulation, medicine became safer, more effective, and also improved greatly and new treatments for common ailments worked wonders such as penicillin, synthetic insulin, and now 'polyheme'. That tells you how far we have come. Regulation may not be a bad idea necessarily. Once it is made safer and guidelines are put in place - improvements in cosmetic surgery can be made to where if you lose your face it can be completely reconstructed to look exactly like your face or like someone elses.

Very sad but true. It's not just the cosmetic surgery industry, it can show up in other industries as well such as modeling. The models often starve themselves to dangerously thin levels to achieve that stick thin body and often it turns into a vicious cycle where the model often causes irreparable damage to themselves such as osteoporosis, organ damage, self harm, damage to the digestive system and so on. Just so they can look a certain way.

It also happens in the acting and music industry where executives expect you to look your absolute best year-round or they have to change their body shape to be typecast into a specific role. (50-cent is reportedly on a liquids only diet and spends 3-5 hours a day on a treadmill in a bid to look like a pale and painfully thin football player that's battling cancer for a movie role, any sane person would say this is a dangerous diet)

I think there needs to be more regulation and guidelines on this cosmetic industry before we have more cases like we have just seen. Kind of like how medicine evolved rapidly at the end of the 1800s and into the 1900s. Before regulation, anyone could post a sign out their door and be called a doctor. After government regulation, medicine became safer, more effective, and also improved greatly and new treatments for common ailments worked wonders such as penicillin, synthetic insulin, and now 'polyheme'. That tells you how far we have come. Regulation may not be a bad idea necessarily. Once it is made safer and guidelines are put in place - improvements in cosmetic surgery can be made to where if you lose your face it can be completely reconstructed to look exactly like your face or like someone elses.

Yeah, there is a commercial on around here that I see all the time. It is for a cosmetic surgery clinic advertising a "Quick Lift" procedure. This woman comes on and says, "I don't ever want to have wrinkles!" My response is, "Well you better kill yourself now, then."

We, as a society, look down on aging so much that we will let doctors cut on us just to appear not to have aged. It is a sick way to see aging, IMO. What ever happened to respecting our seniors for the experience and wisdom they can share with us?

I, personally, am proud of every one of my years, and I don't plan on curbing my activities and going out to pasture any time soon. Neither do I color my hair, slather my face with wrinkle creams, or plan on cosmetic surgery. Most days, I don't even think about my age or how old I look. I have other things to be concerned with.

Yeah, there is a commercial on around here that I see all the time. It is for a cosmetic surgery clinic advertising a "Quick Lift" procedure. This woman comes on and says, "I don't ever want to have wrinkles!" My response is, "Well you better kill yourself now, then."

We, as a society, look down on aging so much that we will let doctors cut on us just to appear not to have aged. It is a sick way to see aging, IMO. What ever happened to respecting our seniors for the experience and wisdom they can share with us?

I, personally, am proud of every one of my years, and I don't plan on curbing my activities and going out to pasture any time soon. Neither do I color my hair, slather my face with wrinkle creams, or plan on cosmetic surgery. Most days, I don't even think about my age or how old I look. I have other things to be concerned with.

Amen Sistah!!!

People don't believe me when I tell them I am 27. They tell me I don't hardly look a day over 19. :shock: I think it's the baby face in conjunction to the short height. I don't have a pudgy face, I just have this very young looking face. Oddly, I don't wear makeup, I don't wear sunscreen, and I smoke. You would think those together would make me look older - more like into my 30s.

However, I take these as compliments as I know I won't always look this young, but I'm not planning on slowing down the process either. I just let it go at whatever pace it chooses to.

Amen Sistah!!!

People don't believe me when I tell them I am 27. They tell me I don't hardly look a day over 19. :shock: I think it's the baby face in conjunction to the short height. I don't have a pudgy face, I just have this very young looking face. Oddly, I don't wear makeup, I don't wear sunscreen, and I smoke. You would think those together would make me look older - more like into my 30s.

However, I take these as compliments as I know I won't always look this young, but I'm not planning on slowing down the process either. I just let it go at whatever pace it chooses to.

I get the mouth dropping open reaction when I tell people I am 56, too.:lol: I think part of it is my appearance, and part of it is my attitude, lol.

Back