Utah Deaf Hospital Rights

What an excellent marketing idea! I should protest on something that I knew will not success by selling the shirts and the fund goes to me. Maybe I should print a t-shirt says "DEAF IMPEACH TRUMP NOW".

*evil laughs*

Common people now smile on your brother everybody get together try to love one another

Today is a big day. Stay warm and be safe! The committee posted the map of the capital building for parking. It is free.

What an excellent marketing idea! I should protest on something that I knew will not success by selling the shirts and the fund goes to me. Maybe I should print a t-shirt says "DEAF IMPEACH TRUMP NOW".

*evil laughs*

That's enough... If you don't have anything nice to post, please leave this thread.

Thanks.

Thank you so much for coming to the Capital. So many people! It was wonderful and a peaceful protest. I love the giant sign, "Clear communication promotes mental health."

Videos and pictures will be posted on Facebook eventually. You can look up #UtahDeafRights on Facebook.

We thank the president of Utah Association of the Deaf, Kim Smith, Janelle Nielsen, and Jared Allebest worked so hard and to lead the movement for all of us.

Russell Nielsen is an artist and he drew this wonderful art. He believes in the movement. You can use it to share on Facebook to show your support for this movement.

The settlement was successful in Michigan. Thank you, US Attorney Matthew Schneider to make it happen! Bravo! The hospitals will be required to provide the training to the staff, so it won't happen again. This is what Utah Deaf Hospital Rights committee is fighting for. You can contact the committee or Jared Allebest if it happened to you, but only you must be a UTAH resident.

simon cowell thumbs up GIF by America's Got Talent

Last edited:

The settlement was successful in Michigan. Thank you, US Attorney Matthew Schneider to make it happen! Bravo! The hospitals will be required to provide the training to the staff, so it won't happen again. This is what Utah Deaf Hospital Rights committee is fighting for. You can contact the committee or Jared Allebest if it happened to you, but only you must be a UTAH resident.

I Have no idea if it has happened or not; but what about the visitor to Utah that had it happen to them?

I Have no idea if it has happened or not; but what about the visitor to Utah that had it happen to them?

That would count as long as it happened only in Utah. You can still contact them anyway!

EDIT: Let me clarify that. If it happened to you within 2 years, your name will be in Utah class suit lawsuit. However if it happened to you over 2 years ago and you are not a Utah resident, Your name won't be in class suit lawsuit. But you can share your story or/and you can file a lawsuit individually.

Last edited:
Jared Allebest will be in St. George, Utah on November 23rd for Town Hall Meeting. Come to St. George if you get a chance to listen to his presentation.

Janelle Nielsen and Jared Allebest helped starting the movement (Utah Deaf Rights Hospital) and others like assistant Professor of ASL and Deaf studies were invited to discuss Deaf Culture and Health Care; Ethical Considerations in serving Deaf People at UVU (Utah Valley University) a few days ago.

Thought I'd post it here, at least it's a start and hopefully spreads to more hospitals nationwide....

Detroit hospitals getting interpreters for Deaf patients...

DETROIT (AP) -- A suburban Detroit hospital will begin providing interpreters for deaf patients following a civil rights probe of the hospital's practices.

The Detroit Free Press reports that William Beaumont Hospital and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit reached an agreement Wednesday. The settlement stemmed from allegations that the hospital violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

A civil rights investigation of Beaumont found that it neglected to provide American Sign Language interpreters for complex medical appointments and procedures for such patients.

U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider said in a statement that the ADA safeguards deaf individuals’ rights and helps them access medical services.

Beaumont denied any ADA violations and did not admit to wrongdoing as part of the settlement.

Thought I'd post it here, at least it's a start and hopefully spreads to more hospitals nationwide....

Detroit hospitals getting interpreters for Deaf patients...

DETROIT (AP) -- A suburban Detroit hospital will begin providing interpreters for deaf patients following a civil rights probe of the hospital's practices.

The Detroit Free Press reports that William Beaumont Hospital and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit reached an agreement Wednesday. The settlement stemmed from allegations that the hospital violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

A civil rights investigation of Beaumont found that it neglected to provide American Sign Language interpreters for complex medical appointments and procedures for such patients.

U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider said in a statement that the ADA safeguards deaf individuals’ rights and helps them access medical services.

Beaumont denied any ADA violations and did not admit to wrongdoing as part of the settlement.

That is the best evidence that we can fight for our rights!! Good job!

Utah Deaf Hospital Rights is in the news again.

For the deaf, tech has made access to health care worse

The following is the first article in the six-part series Deaf in Utah. The next article will run on Feb. 2.

Kim Smith knew from the start that video remote interpreting was going to become a problem.

“I remember seeing that and thinking that is not going to work,” Smith, who is deaf, said in American Sign Language, according to a spoken English interpreter.

Smith is the co-leader of Utah Deaf Hospital Rights, a Facebook group that has gained more than 700 supporters and held a town hall and protest. She is also the president of the Utah Association of the Deaf.

"Deaf face uphill battle when searching for work."

Back