Using Relay Services

Valorrian

Reaction score
I am starting to make my own appointments and call for myself using relay. Today, I called through relay to find out if this church had any interpreted Masses and the church hung up on me. They said that they do accept calls like that. I called right back and then they answered me but do you guys have a lot of issues with people hanging up and not understanding relay?

That does sometimes happen when a business has never experienced a relay call before, or has ignorant people answering the phone :) If you have to call someone back because they hung up on you, tell the Relay operator FIRST before they dial the number you want to call, to announce yourself and why you are calling, rather than it being that the first thing they hear is that they're receiving a call through a Relay service.

Yes, I get hung up on a lot. This was very frustrating when I was job hunting earlier in the year. Either they didn't understand the relay call or they just screened out the deaf guy. As much I prefer to sign, I did start having better luck with jobs when I started using VCO (voice carry over) speaking for myself as someone here suggested. It think for jobs it was confusing to get a call from a guy but the voice of a female interpreter.

I do not have as many issues with businesses but it happens there too on occasion. You should have an option to type in what you want the relay operator to say when they introduce your call (at least you have the option with Sorenson Relay).

Maybe I’m not using relay right. I just call and wait for an answer. Sorenson is video interpreted relay?

If you're using sprintip.com relay there is a box below the number to dial. It says dialing instructions. In there you can say/type - please don't hang up this is a deaf caller asking about the church. Then the relay operator will try to explain the relay service. Most people are not going to understand it but it's worth repeating and see what happens. Or try an email to ask your question as well as teaching them about the relay service. I know it's a lot. There are lots of options. And Sorenson Video Relay Service (VRS) is for fluent American Sign Language signers using videos to contact an sing language interpreter to make video calls. There are also Voice Carry Over Relay where you can use your own voice. And caption calls as well.

Here are other options to try
These can be use with your voice and you can read the response.
https://sprintcaptel.com/
https://www.clearcaptions.com/

This has more information about relays in general
Note- the AIM services which is the AOL instant messaging is probably not use anymore due to the recent lack of AIM use.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/internet-relay-services-1046808

I remember using the old school TTY I don't know if it is avaiable anymore.

Anyways hope this info helps and keep on trying and have lots of patience. :)

Getting someone that hangs up without really listening like you did is kinda the luck of the draw. I find it seems to run in streaks even when not contacting the same places.

So many have replied by saying typing replies. For those of us that are used to talking that is likely not the preferred way to handle it.

What I have been happy with for many years and still use from home is a TTY (yes I said TTY) and regular phone combination. I am late deafened and have always talked. So . . .I use my state relay service by dialing 711, give them the number I want and read what they send to my TTY = what the other person says, I talk for myself using VCO (the other party hears my voice directly). My preferences are on file with them and if someone makes a relay call through the Illinois Relay Service (I am not sure if it is shared with 711 through all other states) VCO will be ready to go unless the CI has failed to read those on file notes).

You may have seen posts where I haven mentioned using the InnoCaption app on my cell phone. I have tried several and like InnoCaption the best. There too I speak for my self and read what the other party says.

If you're using sprintip.com relay there is a box below the number to dial. It says dialing instructions. In there you can say/type - please don't hang up this is a deaf caller asking about the church. Then the relay operator will try to explain the relay service. Most people are not going to understand it but it's worth repeating and see what happens. Or try an email to ask your question as well as teaching them about the relay service. I know it's a lot. There are lots of options. And Sorenson Video Relay Service (VRS) is for fluent American Sign Language signers using videos to contact an sing language interpreter to make video calls. There are also Voice Carry Over Relay where you can use your own voice. And caption calls as well.

Here are other options to try
These can be use with your voice and you can read the response.
https://sprintcaptel.com/
https://www.clearcaptions.com/

This has more information about relays in general
Note- the AIM services which is the AOL instant messaging is probably not use anymore due to the recent lack of AIM use.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/internet-relay-services-1046808
I remember using the old school TTY I don't know if it is avaiable anymore.

Anyways hope this info helps and keep on trying and have lots of patience. :)

Thanks for all the info. For the sprintcaptel and clearcaptions you have to have those types of phones right? I will have to apply for one of those.

I use my iPhone to make most of my calls so I didn't see the box you were talking about to explain on the relay. I did go to my computer and do see it there. On the mobile app it doesn't have that option but I guess I could just type to the operator as they are calling. Thanks again.

Getting someone that hangs up without really listening like you did is kinda the luck of the draw. I find it seems to run in streaks even when not contacting the same places.

So many have replied by saying typing replies. For those of us that are used to talking that is likely not the preferred way to handle it.

What I have been happy with for many years and still use from home is a TTY (yes I said TTY) and regular phone combination. I am late deafened and have always talked. So . . .I use my state relay service by dialing 711, give them the number I want and read what they send to my TTY = what the other person says, I talk for myself using VCO (the other party hears my voice directly). My preferences are on file with them and if someone makes a relay call through the Illinois Relay Service (I am not sure if it is shared with 711 through all other states) VCO will be ready to go unless the CI has failed to read those on file notes).

You may have seen posts where I haven mentioned using the InnoCaption app on my cell phone. I have tried several and like InnoCaption the best. There too I speak for my self and read what the other party says.

I have Innocaption and Sprint IP on my iPhone. I just started to use both. I am not sure which I will like better. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Making my own phone call seems trivial to many, I'm sure, but me doing it gave me a bit of confidence.

Thanks for all the info. For the sprintcaptel and clearcaptions you have to have those types of phones right? I will have to apply for one of those.

I think there is a mobile app for those above. I think those phones might require a landline and I know some people don't have that anymore. I don't. I mostly use the website relay. I will try out those captel ones. :) Cheers

Back