Upgrade from 3G to Freedom BTE

Cochlear implants use hi powered 675 batteries..

That's why I like the rechargable batteries along with my nifty remote on my MedEL Opus 2

The Freedom uses rechargeables as well.

I actually have some friends that didnt like the Freedom and went back to their old model.

Each their own...

My audi told me that if someone has been a long term user of the 3G or Spectra, chances are very likely that they won't like the sound of the Freedom because it isn't something they're used to.

My audi told me that if someone has been a long term user of the 3G or Spectra, chances are very likely that they won't like the sound of the Freedom because it isn't something they're used to.

I had 3G BTE for over 5 years before upgrading to Freedom in 2008. I had no issue. As all new mappings, it take some time to get used to it depending how much difference from last map. For me, it usually few days.

I had 3G BTE for over 5 years before upgrading to Freedom in 2008. I had no issue. As all new mappings, it take some time to get used to it depending how much difference from last map. For me, it usually few days.

That's true. My audi said it really depends on the CI user and their comfort level between what they hear with their 3G vs. the Freedom.

I think there was a backward compatability problem with Cochlear Americas products... ( Among other problems )

Been a year since I did all this research..

Cochlear America's was the first to go off my list .. Rude rep's, delayed answers, crappy sales material.

Cochlear America's was the first to go off my list .. Rude rep's, delayed answers, crappy sales material.

That's interesting because my experience with them was different. The reps I communicated with at Cochlear have always been very friendly and helpful.

I'm sorry your experience with them was poor, but anyone could say the same about Med-El or AB.

I met most of the Cochlear reps of UK and South Africa last week, they were very nice and helpful, There were also accessorise rep, Cochlear advocacy rep too... i have no problems with them but when i was researching for CI for me i didn't call up the reps, i just read everything in the brochure.

SouthFella - backward compatibility?! No. Never happened with Cochlear. People who had the N22 implant, even the ones who had it in the 80's can STILL use Freedom today.

Advanced Bionics were the ones that have backward compatibilities. People who got theirs over 5 or 8 years ago, will not be able to use the BTE Harmony. Which kind of pisses them off because they want a BTE instead of a body worn. From what I heard is that AB is "working" on it. It has to do with the HiFidiety that is in the implant system. It doesn't work with the older AB models. AB was trying to really improve their implant so the people can have a much more powerful implant in case if they come out with more powerful processor. I read somewhere that those who have the newer implant, only utilizes 60% or less (can't remember the exact words), of the power that the implant has. So, it has a lot more room to grow. This doesn't bother me because Cochlear has been around for more than 20 years, and they have the exact same electrodes. Just different type of casings, different type of electrode delivery (Freedom is slightly more powerful than the N24C, but not that much!), etc.

I never heard of any backward compatibility issues with Cochlear. :)

I met most of the Cochlear reps of UK and South Africa last week, they were very nice and helpful, There were also accessorise rep, Cochlear advocacy rep too... i have no problems with them but when i was researching for CI for me i didn't call up the reps, i just read everything in the brochure.

I've met several Cochlear reps in person for reasons I do not wish to disclose here since it is personal information and not pertinent to this discussion. All of them were very nice and helpful especially when it came to addressing my particular needs.

As far as communicating with Cochlear is concerned, all of my e-mails have always been returned within 24-48 hours.

I'd also like to add that Cochlear continually supported my audi, surgeon and I while we were trying to understand what was causing my dizziness and nausea. They offered their thoughts about my circumstances and continued to work with us until we found a suitable solution. (i.e. turning off 6 electrodes on each CI) I commend Cochlear for their excellent customer service and am glad they stood by me when I needed their input the most.

I had a Cochlear Rep come to my mapping session about six years back for a CI problem I had and they were really helpful and tried their best to try and solve the problem.

I had a Cochlear Rep come to my mapping session about six years back for a CI problem I had and they were really helpful and tried their best to try and solve the problem.

My experience...When I had some problems with my 3G with some weird sounds so I emailed to the Southern CI programme staff and they got reply within 3 or 5 hours and post/sent me a 3G loader (spare speech processor) within next day which is positive and great communication.

wish be try best nucleus freedom

I want to email send to my doctor and suppose. I try best struggle to discuss to audiology more discuss for me. I will send to her. I let know figure out make plan do. I will let know wait for soon. I discuss plan , I lots of work.. I am really lots of responsilbity.. I love try best hard work.. I am patient not rush... I learn patient..

Back